Question for those going Natural(no epi)

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2012, 12:23 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I'm pretty sure that I just couldn't manage the pain and will most likely have an epidural. But I'm just wondering my Dr. cut me with Jackson in order to get him out, otherwise he just wasn't coming out. Have any of you BTDT mommies had that done without an epi? How did you deal with the pain? Does the lamaze breathing really help with the pain?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
January 9th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never made it naturally, but just wanted to say that the breathing is to make/help you relax and increase your blood oxygen levels. So, its not that the breathing is actually curing the pain; but it helps you to focus on that instead of the pain, and the idea is to allow your body to relax as much as possible, so that you aren't hindering yourself by tensing up.

January 9th, 2012, 12:28 PM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't do the exact lamaze breathing but I definitely had to focus a lot of attention on my breathing. I dealt with the pain by telling myself the more I hurt the closer I was to meeting my little man. and relax relax relax.

January 9th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Most natural birth techniques don't focus on Lamaze breathing. Bradley (and I think Hypnobabies as well) focus more on deep breathing to ensure you get enough air, etc.

I tore slightly with both girls and didn't even feel it, but then again while everyone in my life says that I have an incredibly low pain tolerance, I did fine during labor and never thought it was really painful with either girl. Most doctors out here don't cut you unless they're going to use the vacuum or forceps, which is fairly rare. Plus, if you're going natural without the epi you can get into a lot more positions to push without worrying about dislodging your epi, and almost any position besides lying back in the classic pose is better to get the baby out.

January 9th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I believe a lot of the pain can be handled psychologically. You know how strong pit contractions can be right? Well I was on a lot of pit, but I thought I had an epi. I was in pain, but kept thinking, "wow, if this is what it's like with an epi, I can't imagine it without one!" and so I just kept on going and dealt with it. It was pretty bad, but I zoned out above it all. I just went sort of numb (I also did hypnobabies). But it was by no means painless, yet totally doable (and would have been much easier without pit and if I was able to move around).

As soon as I found out that my epi had been disconnected from the bag for most of labor, what do you know, the pain got MUCH MUCH worse! So I think anything that can help you be calm and relaxed, and accept the process will help you deal with the pain. It is amazing to me what the human body and the mind can do.

I didn't get cut so no help on that. But you know what freaked me out was the thought of the Dr's hands going up there. Well during labor the regular labor pain made me completely unfeeling to anything else. I mean the midwife was up to her elbows it seemed, both arms in there, stretching me to kingdom come and I didn't feel it at all because there was a lot of other feelings going on. So theres that.

Last edited by *MJ*; January 9th, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
January 9th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't have an epi with either of my kids, and I was induced with pitocin (it's suppose to make the contractions worse). I had a little bit of nubain with Aaron and it helped, but I regret it because of how it affected Aaron. Anyway, the birth ball really helped and counter pressure from DH. You just have to rest between contractions and when you do have a contraction, work with it and don't fight it, if you know what I mean. I was up and out of bed most of the time with Austin, and he just fell out - I didn't have to push at all. Aaron (my first) came out with 20 min. of pushing.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
January 9th, 2012, 12:57 PM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
I had a epidural and was induced with Madison. She did get stuck and I got cut.

But the more reseach I have done if I had a natural bith the odds of that happening are really slim because I could have walked and moved and she could have come into the birth canal on her own not being forced with Pit and with me not able to move because of being so numb my body was not able to help guide her with gravity and changing positions . Also with the epi I was unable to even push properly.

And i agree with the person above bradley & hypobirthing seem to be the thing. Its all about relaxing and mind over matter.
I meet with a doula last week as I am interviewing and she said I dont tell to many people this because some do not belive me but she had several orgasms while having her soon. I honestly hope this doesnt happen because i think i will be embarassed but it shows how it really is a mind over matter thing.

I am going to give this natural thing a good go this time. I had a horrible deliver and recovery with my daughter and I belive it was from all the medical intervention.

I also have friends who were inducted and had epidurals and they had quick labors and no cuts or tears and babys came out with in a few pushes. So I really just think its how your body can handle things.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
January 9th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
And pray for a baby with a small head. My friend had a baby with a 3rd percentile head. Much easier! lol
January 9th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Veteran
ugh, giant heads are a big concern of mine. My DS has a huge head (see pic below, hehe) and I always joke that i'm glad i had a c section with him just because of his ginormous head. Here's hoping this little girl's head is much smaller!
Amanda - Wife to Ray, Mommy to DS #1 - Rocky (7/12/10). Baby #2 due 5/26/12!!
January 9th, 2012, 01:28 PM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
Ended up with PIT and and Epi, even though my plan was to go natural. I was really upset about it for a while...but I'm over it now. This time I'm going to try natural again. I shouldn't have the issues of not progressing this time, since the scar tissue was removed and it's my second time, so hopefully I'll make it!

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com
January 9th, 2012, 01:28 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Many times there is SO much pressure there and your uncomfortable from the contractions, you don't feel lit.
January 9th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my first I was induced and after about 14 hours of torture I finally got an epi. I wouldn't dilate enough to get one or I would have sooner. I was very tense and held my breath with every contraction. I knew not to but it's all I could do. Since I was numb I didn't feel them cut me at the end. After that experience I LOVED my c section with the second lol.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
January 9th, 2012, 01:30 PM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
haha speaking of head size... Kaiya had a tiny head...and it didn't feel tiny coming out!! My Epi began to wear off while pushing, so I actually *got* to feel a lot of that part. Hopefully her sister has a tiny head too, because I can't imagine a bigger one getting through there!

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com
January 9th, 2012, 01:36 PM
JsBaby's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm thinking the same thing. There was enough pain and pressure that I don't remember feeling that. Okay. Getting nauseated thinking and reading about this, gotta quit typing! lol! And I go natural? lol! I don't handle blood or the graphic doctor stuff! lol!
January 9th, 2012, 02:04 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
I think you are actually less likely to tear and things without an epi because you are feeling and working with your body

January 9th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wish my kids had tiny heads. I mean who wouldn't! But yeah, either way a head is still coming out of your vagina

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarie9509 View Post
I think you are actually less likely to tear and things without an epi because you are feeling and working with your body
I have heard this before, and I like the sound of it! Plus, certain squat positions open up your pelvis and muscles more then the traditional epi laying on your back position. Which then leads to a lesser chance of strain and tearing. So I have read. Is that right ncb moms?
January 9th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Super Mommy
lurking here...but I think if you don't have an epi they numb you b4 they cut. With DS i had to have some stiches because I tore and they injected some numbing stuff b4 doing the stiches. It was just a local numbing so I would assume they would do that - or a topical numbing cream if they really were going to cut you agian and you didn't have an epi. dr's aren't that mean
January 9th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MJ* View Post
I wish my kids had tiny heads. I mean who wouldn't! But yeah, either way a head is still coming out of your vagina

I have heard this before, and I like the sound of it! Plus, certain squat positions open up your pelvis and muscles more then the traditional epi laying on your back position. Which then leads to a lesser chance of strain and tearing. So I have read. Is that right ncb moms?
Yes, that's right! Almost any position besides the classic one (on your back) helps bring the baby down better and open you up more. You may still tear, but usually not as badly and it's much rarer for baby to get stuck and not be able to get out without assistance. Vi was stuck for 3 hours of pushing and I just kept changing my pushing position over and over until I was able to get her out.

January 9th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
Yes, that's right! Almost any position besides the classic one (on your back) helps bring the baby down better and open you up more. You may still tear, but usually not as badly and it's much rarer for baby to get stuck and not be able to get out without assistance. Vi was stuck for 3 hours of pushing and I just kept changing my pushing position over and over until I was able to get her out.
And I was screwed and ended up with a c section mostly because I was tied down with the epi and other stuff and couldn't change positions to get him unstuck and birthed. Like you said, had I been moving around through ALL of labor, it would have been shorter, I wouldn't have been so completely exhausted, I could have got him unstuck while pushing for 3 hours ... although I hope to push for much less then 3 hours next time, gah!!
January 9th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Even with getting her out, pushing for 3 hours sucked! I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I was totally exhausted by the end, especially as her heart rate kept dropping and I started hyperventilating.

And you never know, your son may have stayed stuck even if you had been able to move around. Some babies do truly get stuck no matter what. But in many cases, having the ability to move around can help get baby out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search