Baby Shower..

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Dóchas's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Dóchas
So when are ye all planning yer shower. I can't wait to hear all about them and see the pic's.
We don't have baby showers in Ireland so I want to live through ye.
So what's yer plan? do ye plan them yourself or do you just turn up as a guest as its all done for you?
what kind of games do ye plan...
Come on humour me I want to hear it all

[SIZE="3"]

January 11th, 2012, 05:49 PM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
My best friend loves throwing showers, so I'll be getting my second one. She will pretty much plan it all, with suggestions from me and probably some financial help from my mom. My shower for DS was at my favorite restaurant. We didn't do much in the way of games, but we did advice cards and those were a lot of fun to read.

I think we are having the shower at my house this time. We have tons of room, and the venue is free Other than that, I don't know what she has in mind. My guess is that work will probably throw one too. Those are usually just after school, casual. No games though, which would be fun, I would think.

January 11th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not having one I don't think. For my first we did a game where everyone pulled toilet paper to guess how far around I was. Dh got it exactly!
January 11th, 2012, 05:58 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I just talked to my aunt this weekend about it. I'm thinking end of March or beginning of April. That way, if this stupid placenta previa causes issues at the end, I'll have things squared away. Plus, I like a good 4 weeks to have a shower then organize what I get and what I still need.

January 11th, 2012, 06:07 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Baby showers are SO much fun I have heard of what they are calling now for 2nd or more time around is "sprinkles" cute!
We played TONS of games at mine and had LOTS of food. Some of the games we played, we had a partner and each of us were blindfolded. We had to feed our partner baby food lol. That was a MESS! A dirty diaper one, take different small candy bars and mash them up, put them in diapers and everyone has to guess what type of candy bar it is. There are so many more as well You can also put fruit punch in a bottle for everyone to drink and have a contest to see who can down it the fastest haha.
January 11th, 2012, 06:12 PM
#5 = the "Newbie"
I have had a lot of friends and family ask me when mine is going to be, but no one has offered to throw me one yet. This is my 4th, but the first for DH and I together. My youngest is 8, so I don't have anything from him so we are pretty much starting over.

Barbara 38
Bill 40
Lexi 17
Jeremy 12
Dylan 9
Nathan born April 23, 2012
January 11th, 2012, 06:56 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
I know my SIL is planning to throw one after the baby comes, probably memorial day. Honestly Im not that comfortable with the idea but she lives in FL and we live in NY so she cant really come out twice in such a short time frame and she obviously really wants to see Liam so that's the solution. I really hope someone has one before though. Im not greedy like wanting lots of showers lol but I need things before he is born.

January 11th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Mamma J's Avatar Proud Navy Wife & SAHM
My mom is throwing me on on Feb 25th....it can't be a surprise because I live in GA and she lives in NY, and she's paying for my plane ticket to fly up there for it...kind of hard to hide it that way lol. We always play games at my family baby showers.

I don't know what kind of games they play in Ireland, but at my shower for Aidan, we did fill in the nursery rhyme, what is baby called? (take an adult animal and you have provide the name of it's baby, like "puppy" for dog, "kitten" for cat, "foal" for horse, etc....sounds easy but a lot of people were stumped when presented with goose and butterfly!), guess how many M&Ms were in a giant baby bottle, baby bingo, and how big is mommy's belly (where people cut strips of crepe paper/ribbon and then wrap them around the mom's belly...winner has the least amount of excess ribbon, or has the two ends touching each other at her belly button). We had mine at a restaurant, but we've also had showers at my moms house where it's easier to play the "baby" game. You hand out clothes pins or pacifier necklaces, and if you catch someone saying the word "baby" you steal whatever pins/necklaces they're wearing. At the end of the games portion of the party, whoever is wearing the most, wins. We also play the babyfood game....you spoon different flavors of baby food into disposable diapers (that are numbered) and guests have to guess what each flavor is. Some people do the same thing, but with candy bars and they put each diaper in the microwave to melt the chocolate so it looks like poop, but I find that it's harder to get a taste because they harden pretty fast lol.

January 11th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My friend was just asking me if the first or second Saturday in April was good for me. It's just going to be a small group (like 8-10), since it's my 3rd baby

My favorite game is a memory game. You make a big board that has 2 of each baby related phrases (like breast feeding, twins, etc). Then, as people find the pairs (each has a number, so player would say "1 and 7" and hope they match, etc), they get a candy bar that goes with the phrase. Ex: Breast feeding gets a Milky Way bar, twins gets M&Ms, triplets gets Three Musketeers, night of conception gets Skor, etc.

January 11th, 2012, 11:00 PM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
We are having two. One with hubby's family @ MIL place on march 10 and one with my friends and family in our home on march 31st. Our two families won't drive to either place so we always have to do two separate ones.

With my family, my mom is paying and sis is helping. I picked out a cute small cake with a preggo lady on top and I'm doing a cupcake tier for actual guests. Game wise we are doing the "don't say the word baby" game, a cute print out game we found on eBay that says how well do you know mom, and we are adding a raffle to where each package of diapers someone brings gets them a ticket for the raffle and they can win a gift card.

For hubby's family we don't play games. We always make it a couple shower so family can all mingle and hang out and we do a sort of pot luck and eat. We do gifts as well.

}
January 12th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Dóchas's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Dóchas
I'm so jealous. They all sound like great fun. I think I just start it in Ireland I can be the 1st
Don't forget girls I want to see loads of photo's.

It's great that ye guys get baby gifts before the baby comes.

[SIZE="3"]

January 12th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Veteran
I'm having 2 as well. One that Ryan's sister is throwing in the beginning of march at her house. It's mostly a suprise, as I have no idea what she's planning. The same day, at the same time, her hubby and his brother are having a diaper party for Ryan. It's guys only, and they all bring packs of diapers and wipes, then meet up with the girls later for food and things. My other one is my friend one, and it will be in april. That one's pretty much a surprise too!!
January 12th, 2012, 06:57 AM
GG1995's Avatar Super Mommy
I will be having 3. This was really a shock to me since this is my secong baby. My first one was a boy, and this baby is a girl.......so I do need clothes.

My side of the family is throwing one for me on Feb. 25. Dh's family is throwing one for me on March 3. We live an hour away from his family, so that's why there will be 2 seperate family showers.

My office will be throwing one for me as well. They haven't decided when that one will be, but I am sure that it will be after work and very informal which is fine with me. I am going to register this weekend. YAY!! So exciting!!
Baby #2 Our Baby Girl (Due in May 31, 2012) Miss Lexi Jaylee

Forever Missing our Angel Baby
who went to Heaven on August 13, 2011
January 12th, 2012, 07:33 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
I don't believe in showers after your first so we will not be having one.
I did the gender reveal party to celebrate baby and it was nice to not know the gender so people did not feel they had to bring a gift.
The girl who hosted it knew what baby was so she got me a couple outfits and baby gifts.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
January 12th, 2012, 07:44 AM
FTM
My mom and sister are having my shower on march 31st...This is the first grand baby on my side, so we are all super excited! The venue they picked is beautiful and apparently will be like 80 people! My bridal shower was 95 so they felt they should invite the same crowd. I am so excited and I have finished my registries so that I can concentrate on getting the nursery ready. We ordered the crib and it should be here next week, so I am hoping with all these people at the shower, someone will get some of the matching furniture! I know my mom wants to get the dresser/changing table....we'll have time before baby to see what we will need
Oh, and I hope we will play lots of games! The only one I hate is the diaper game with the fake poo- unnecessary!! I will see enough of the real stuff thanks!

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 12th, 2012, 11:54 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I won't be having a baby shower. Jackson is 2 and I have kept most of his stuff, so except for a few things we don't really need much. I can't wait to see how everybody elses showers go. Especially you first times mommies. So much fun.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
January 12th, 2012, 12:17 PM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I won't have having one this time around since this is my second baby. With DD we had the shower at a restaurant. We played a couple of simple games. One was that everybody got a lotto style scratch and sniff card with a baby on it. You had to scratch and sniff the diaper the baby was wearing and it would either smell fresh ilke baby powder or yucky like poop. The people that got the poop card got prizes. Kind of gross. I just did a shower for my little sister who's pregnant last month and we did baby shower bingo. People get a blank bingo card and they fill it by writing something they think the mommy to be will get as a gift in each square. Then as the mommy opens her gift you mark your squares until someone gets bingo. We did a chocolate fountain for her party too. Yum Yum! I think you should start a new trend in Ireland! Showers are fun and a great way to get some of the things you need.
January 12th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had a shower with my first. DH's sisters did it for me, but it was at my house. That was okay because I didn't have to travel or transport gifts home, but I still had to make sure the house was presentable and do a little bit of cleaning up afterward. This time, I'll just get a "Diaper Drop" from the church. Basically what they do is put up a table for three weeks in lobby of the church for people to drop gifts by - it's usually diapers and wipes. It's a very nice gesture of the church people to celebrate every baby not just the first. We don't use disposable diapers and wipes that much, but I either return them for store credit or use the wipes for cleaning up icky messes around the house.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
January 12th, 2012, 01:26 PM
BeccaMenk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wish I could have a shower..but honestly, I moved up here when DH and I got engaged and haven't made enough friends yet t have a shower. There really isn't anyone to throw one..and not to many people to invite.

My sister back home was asking about it, but I have also lost touch with most of my old friends back home so I can't have one there either...

I am not really to bummed about it, accept that it is really hard finacially for us and it would be nice getting a little help from others when it comes to getting some thing for the baby. Ah well, I just plan to keep working and make sure I have everything I need before I quit my job and baby comes. I am sure it will all work out!
January 13th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I could not ask for more.
I want a shower but don't think I'll be having one. I don't know enough people in GA.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search