Playing music for your belly

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2012, 06:55 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
Has anyone played music to their belly? I want DH to connect to Liam a little more so I suggested he play him his favorite music but I'm not sure like if it should be quieter or louder than I would listen to it myself. Im just laying headphones on my belly so I dont know how much sound is getting to him, it feels a little stupid but Idk I just thought it would be something DH could share with him.

January 11th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I never have. DH talks to my belly though, mainly in Korean. It's sweet

January 11th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't played music with headphones, but mostly because I play guitar/piano pretty frequently at work, and am a music therapist so I use music all day anyways. My kiddos have a pretty good amount of prenatal music exposure. DH doesn't really talk to or touch my belly without a lot of encouragement from me. I just pretty much let him lead.

January 11th, 2012, 07:51 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was watching a show once where they were "testing" all this. It was SO neat. You could see the heart rate changes and baby would start moving like crazy as well! DO IT! LOL
January 11th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Lisa H's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't do music but I have a Dr. Seuss book called "Oh Baby, the Places You'll Go" that DH and I read out loud. I think hearing our voices is more bonding than playing music written by other people.

I do have to attend a beginner band class for work twice a week at work. Baby doesn't seem to like it much. I get very strong kicks throughout, especially when the saxaphones play too loud lol.
January 12th, 2012, 06:51 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't played music for the baby but when I was pregnant with Jackson he would start moving around like crazy durin the praise and worship at church. It was so funny. Almost like he was dancing. He still loves worship music.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
January 12th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Kristin
If it helps him connect, I say do it - it doesn't really matter if baby can hear it or not since the point is for him to connect. My DH talks to Brianna a lot, he'll play the guitar for her and stuff too, it's super sweet.
January 12th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There is some research in neonatal infant responses that seems to show that babies recognize lullabies that were frequently played in calm/relaxing settings; and there is some research that it helps them to calm down/improve breathing/o2 saturations etc. Very interesting stuff. I don't believe that it makes babies smarter (the mozart effect), but our bodies definately have a biological response to sounds/rhythms.

January 12th, 2012, 08:15 AM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't, but then again I'm not very musically inclined. so I just never think to do it. DH does talk to her and rub my belly though. He seems to have had an easier time connecting to this baby than with DS. I don't think he was fully aware that me being pregnant meant a baby last time lol. he seems to have the idea this time though.

January 12th, 2012, 08:21 AM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
yeah he wont really talk to my belly or anything he touches it once in a while, he just isnt connected to the fact that its his son not just my stomach lol. It's okay and I know he feels awkward so I thought maybe music would help but I dont know

January 12th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My neices mom used to play her favortie song over and over when she was pregnant in the car. After jordan was born, shed stop crying and listen to the song. So she remembered it. I don't think the headphones are necessary and I don't think the particular song really matteers. Just pick something you like and listen to it aloud if you want. baby is listening too everything that's going on around you.

Don't stress about him feeling connected. The second baby comes out its a whole different ballgame! Its hard to feel that bond if it isn't in you. My hubby doesn't talk to my belly either. Hell feel for movement if I initiate it. Its not a marker for how he will be when baby so here.
January 12th, 2012, 05:32 PM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
I haven't started yet, but I plan to. I put the head phones on my belly as if I have ears on either side of it...if that makes sense. I play it as loud as it will go on my old school portable CD player. I play classical music and/or lullabies, no words. Kaiya turned out to be a baby who LOVED music and was soothed by it...so maybe it worked?! I'll be starting it soon for this one!

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com
January 12th, 2012, 09:44 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I put headphones on my belly one with Kaiden...didnt really help Matt connect though...he never seems to connect when I'm pregnant...but let me tell you, when that baby is born - at least when Kaiden was born, that is when the connection was there, and instant...so I'm a bit more patient with his non-connection to this baby because his bond with Kaiden is so strong now that I know that it will be this time around also
January 12th, 2012, 11:30 PM
dee.76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We talk to our little man often... Funny I have been thinking about this a bit lately as next week I am going to see a musical on stage in our capital city, and we booked it AGES ago so we have AWESOME seats.. front row.... and I started thinking .. wow I hope its not too loud for him.... we will be right next to the orchestra.....hehe

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search