Carseats

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2012, 03:05 AM
JsBaby's Avatar Super Mommy
Talk to me about the carseat you have or are getting for your baby. Why did you chose it? Any more great advice to picking a carseat like I got from Jennmarie would be great!
February 13th, 2012, 04:52 AM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
I've got two picked out, depending on our budget when we finally buy it.

Amazon.com: Evenflo Serenade Infant Car Seat, Honeycomb Baja: Baby

Amazon.com: Chicco Keyfit 30 Infant Car Seat, Adventure: Baby

They both have easier to tighten versions of the latch system. The first one is a lot like the convertible I currently have DS in. I really like it because the shoulder straps adjust up and down without having to rethread. DH is 6'4, so DS has been at the top of the height charts and grows like a weed. I'm expecting the same with #2. It is nice to be able to get a good fit easily. They also have easy tightening of the straps. I would like to be able to try out the fit in my car before buying them, but don't know if I will be able to make that happen. I'm also just crossing my fingers that they will both fit on my stroller frame.

February 13th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I love Kendall's Safety First Complete Air! It's great for a tall baby. It can be used as an infant car seat too (over 5lbs) but I still prefer to use an infant carrier. I just used a Graco travel system Infant carrier.
February 13th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Mamma J's Avatar Proud Navy Wife & SAHM
I registered for this one:
GRACOBABY - Smart Seat™ All-in-One Car Seat

It's a convertible car seat that will harness Abby up to 65lbs (forward facing), and then convert into a booster to use with seatbelt after that. it's pricey ($299 from Babies R Us), but for her to be able to use it from infancy all the way up until 5 or 6 years of age, it's worth it to me.

With Aidan, I didn't really know any better, and didn't do any research, so we ended up buying three different car seats...we had an infant carrier and a high backed booster with harness before he was born. But then he outgrew the infant carrier at 5 months so we had to buy a convertible seat for him to use until he was ready to be forward facing. The problem I'm having now is I'm wanting a fourth car seat. His seat right now is only rated to go up to 40 lbs with the harness, and I want to keep him in a 5pt harness for much longer (he's 38lbs right now, and too small to use a seatbelt even with a booster IMO). Had I gotten a seat like this back when he was a baby I wouldn't be having this problem! lol

February 13th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Scoobyrae1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got a Graco travel system. It worked really well with Kate.

Thanks jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

February 13th, 2012, 07:59 AM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We just bought a Chicco Keyfit 30. A good friend of ours is big into car seat safety and that's the one she recommended after using it with her now-2-year-old.

The other seat she recommended was a Graco Snugride 35.
February 13th, 2012, 08:13 AM
aka shawna
i went out and 'test drove" some of the seats and found the one that had the best reviews chicco keyfit 30 was fairly large so i'm really undecided.
February 13th, 2012, 08:38 AM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
were getting the chicco keyfit 30 because it has really good reviews, and features like an easier latch system, non twisting straps, and a great infant insert. We went to babiesrus and played with them all taking them in and out of the base and carrying them around. We found we still liked the chicco best because it was easier to manage and comfortable to carry. I also like that it has a lot of color combos, although you have to shop around for the colors you want because different stores carry different colors although amazon has pretty much all of them. You can buy certain colors in a travel system with the basic stroller which is a nice stroller, or you can customize a travel system by purchasing one of the other styles of stroller from off road jogging to city lightweight. I've known a lot of babies through daycare that use the chicco and none of the parents ever had a complaint about it and they all stayed looking as good as new through at least 2 kids. So that's why I'm buying it and why I would recommend it to you.

February 13th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This question is always being asked it seems.

Graco infant seat. Radian and Recaro convertible seats. I would just use the Radian as the infant seat, but I like the flexibility of the graco system and we already have it from our first child. The Recaro is what my 2.5 year old is in now, and will serve as a back-up seat in my DH's car once we get our Radian ordered and installed. Then once the new baby reaches the limits of the infant seat (was around 10-12 months last time), he will go into a second Radian I will buy later.

So there is way too much information! I tried the chicco and the graco infant systems with my first back in 2008, and I didn't like how the chicco handle went up and down then. I found it difficult to move it, so that's why I chose Graco. I recommend an infant seat though. Yes you then need to buy another convertible carseat when they outgrow the infant one, but I think the convenience is worth $100, and then you can use it again in the future with more kiddos.

It's funny how now its all about the chicco system, whereas when my first son was born the better reviews were with the graco system. And then there was a period of time when Britax were all the rage and the best to get, and now you have dissatisfied moms getting the Radian or other brands. How ever do manufacturers keep up with us moms and we deem hot or not!?

Last edited by *MJ*; February 13th, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
February 13th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We had the Chicco keyfit 30 with Chase and I thought it was a good seat, no complaints really. I switched him to a regular car seat at around 7 months when I stopped using the infant carrier. He sat up really early so I could put him in shopping carts and high chairs from like 5 months and found myself using the infant carrier less and less. I still would recommend getting a carrier though. It was worth the money even though it was short-lasted, and every baby develops differently (my early sitter did not walk until 15 months!!).

This time we have registered for a Britax infant seat. We liked how it looked and felt combined with safety features and functionality.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
February 13th, 2012, 10:00 AM
JsBaby's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MJ* View Post
This question is always being asked it seems.

It's funny how now its all about the chicco system, whereas when my first son was born the better reviews were with the graco system. And then there was a period of time when Britax were all the rage and the best to get, and now you have dissatisfied moms getting the Radian or other brands. How ever do manufacturers keep up with us moms and we deem hot or not!?
I think I'm just starting to over analyze too much! When I bought car seats years ago with the girls it seemed like you just picked what pattern you liked & bought it. Now I'm combing all these different brands with a fine tooth. Ugh! & I agree with your last part! How do they keep up with us picky moms only wanting the absolute best for our little ones!

Thanks ladies! You're the BEST!!
February 13th, 2012, 10:12 AM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsBaby View Post
I think I'm just starting to over analyze too much! When I bought car seats years ago with the girls it seemed like you just picked what pattern you liked & bought it. Now I'm combing all these different brands with a fine tooth. Ugh! & I agree with your last part! How do they keep up with us picky moms only wanting the absolute best for our little ones!

I just went through those feelings of insanity looking for a mattress lol it's the hormones I think it's still perfectly fine to pick whichever one you like the look of best. I mean they all have to meet safety standards to even be sold so your baby is going to be safe and happy in whatever seat you like lol.
I find the trick is to just hurry up and buy something if you can, that way theres no more obsessing.

February 13th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It is hard! And now I am having the same issues with a twin mattress for my toddler too. I went into a baby store the other day and almost hyperventilated. seriously, I would only feel 100% great with my decisions if I bought out the entire store.
February 13th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Chicco Keyfit here - it was Lily's and then Violet's and still hasn't expired. Great seat for us. I typically move them out to a convertible car seat around 5 or 6 months anyway.

I do extended rear facing and Lily still rear faces at age 3.5 in a Radian XTSL and Vi is 22 months in a Britax Boulevard. I'll probably get Vi a Radian XST and move baby to the Britax around 5/6 months. Or, I might just get 2 Radians, as I prefer them to the Britax seats, especially for extended rear facing, the Radians have a taller shell and more leg room for my kids.

February 13th, 2012, 02:13 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
I'm going to use a Graco MyRide 65 because I don't enjoy the carrier type carseat and babywear. It's the same seat Allison rides in and I absolutely love it!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
February 13th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Fab-Brunette's Avatar Veteran
We got the Peg Perego car seat,

Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP Infant Car Seat - Pois Black - Peg Perego - Babies"R"Us

Why'd I pick it? Because I prefer the infant seat at first, it's going to be used for a good while anyway, and I like the colour choice.
February 13th, 2012, 02:51 PM
MommytoMandL's Avatar Super Mommy
I haven't decided on one yet, All i know is the girls want it to match their seats (black and red) i won't be buying it until early May anyway, i'm also un decided if i want a 22lbs rf limit since i will be getting a radian for this one sooner then later, since it has a high rf limit, or if i will go for the higher limit bucket seat

February 13th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
FYI, the biggest, most important thing to remember is to KNOW how to use whatever car seat you choose. Read the instruction booklet, look up infant car seat safety etc. It doesn't matter how great it tested in safety ratings, if you don't use it properly; it won't keep your wee one safe. I say that hoping that it will help take away some of the stress-it matters a lot more to make sure you have safely installed your carseat/base, and have the straps at the right levels/tight enough etc; much more than the actual brand/style of seat.
MommytoMandL likes this.

February 13th, 2012, 07:15 PM
ArmyWife06's Avatar Proud Army Wife
I bought the graco my ride 65

February 13th, 2012, 08:59 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a Graco SafeSeat (I don't think they're made anymore, it's similar to the SnugRide 30). It's a great seat, it's big (I think Kate may just be getting too tall for it, haha! She hasn't actually used it since she was around 9 months though!), it was super easy to use. Straps adjust really smoothly. Never had a problem with it. I don't really carry it around though - too heavy for me. I babywear instead.

I also have two Graco MyRides. Kate's in one, the other is my backup seat. So I could put the baby in the other MyRide if I wanted to.... but like I said, I'm going to use the SafeSeat just since we already have it. At least for a while. Oh, and I LOVE my MyRide. Kate is so super comfortable in that seat, has a ton of leg room (she'll be rear-facing for a long while yet), has cupholders for her pacis and toys, and it's super easy for me to install in our vehicles. And it's not a very expensive seat, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamma J View Post
It's a convertible car seat that will harness Abby up to 65lbs (forward facing), and then convert into a booster to use with seatbelt after that. it's pricey ($299 from Babies R Us), but for her to be able to use it from infancy all the way up until 5 or 6 years of age, it's worth it to me.

With Aidan, I didn't really know any better, and didn't do any research, so we ended up buying three different car seats...we had an infant carrier and a high backed booster with harness before he was born. But then he outgrew the infant carrier at 5 months so we had to buy a convertible seat for him to use until he was ready to be forward facing. The problem I'm having now is I'm wanting a fourth car seat. His seat right now is only rated to go up to 40 lbs with the harness, and I want to keep him in a 5pt harness for much longer (he's 38lbs right now, and too small to use a seatbelt even with a booster IMO). Had I gotten a seat like this back when he was a baby I wouldn't be having this problem! lol
I think it depends what seats you get.... you can get a convertable seat and then a high back booster for less than $300. The Smart Seat isn't a *bad* seat at all, but my worry would be about belt fit when they are booster age... since different seats fit different kids in terms of fit. So when the time comes I like the option to try out different boosters. Also the Smart Seat is so big and heavy, definitely not a seat to be moving around much! But again... not a bad seat, I know some people who have one and love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsBaby View Post

Really the different brands do a really good job of infant seats, and they're all safe when used correctly. Some have more convenience factors and different patterns and such, but really I don't think you need to worry too much. But I understand being picky! I've spent days researching diaper bags, which is so stupid to me but I can't help but nit-pick over it like it needs to be perfect! It's a pregnancy thing. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennmarie View Post
FYI, the biggest, most important thing to remember is to KNOW how to use whatever car seat you choose. Read the instruction booklet, look up infant car seat safety etc. It doesn't matter how great it tested in safety ratings, if you don't use it properly; it won't keep your wee one safe. I say that hoping that it will help take away some of the stress-it matters a lot more to make sure you have safely installed your carseat/base, and have the straps at the right levels/tight enough etc; much more than the actual brand/style of seat.
So so true!!! I've heard from a lot of friends that they got the carseat installed and then forgot to figure out how to strap a baby into it. We did that. In the hospital we had to figure it out. Ooops!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search