those who had episiotomys before

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2012, 11:45 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
Have you been warned that when having the next baby that its probably going to just tear open where you were cut before?
I have now had 3 people warn me about this and now Im freaking out and pissed at my old DR. I feel like he ruined my body because I pretty much had an episotomy to make his job easier because he was off duty in 1 hour and wanted this baby born before he left his shift.... He never told me this but DH over heard him talking in the hall to the nurse.
my Chiropractor recomneded I rub the area with Wheat Germ oil everyday until the baby is born to help.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
February 13th, 2012, 11:47 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Oh that's upsetting. I didn't have one, but I did tear a little.

My best friend had an episiotomy with her first and with her second she had minimal tearing. I hope the same for you!!!

February 13th, 2012, 12:12 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My dr said that it could happen but wasn't a definite. so hopefully we will be like Jillian's friend and just tear a little bit. My little boy just wasn't coming out and I think we were minutes from an emergency C-section with Jackson when my dr. cut me. His heartrate was going crazy and needed to get out quickly. So for me I am thankful that it happened otherwise I would have ended up with a C-section.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 13th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalaw View Post
My dr said that it could happen but wasn't a definite. so hopefully we will be like Jillian's friend and just tear a little bit. My little boy just wasn't coming out and I think we were minutes from an emergency C-section with Jackson when my dr. cut me. His heartrate was going crazy and needed to get out quickly. So for me I am thankful that it happened otherwise I would have ended up with a C-section.
I did tell my DR no.... but then all the sudden like magic he said he did not like what her heart rate was doing. Us not knowing anything I honestly think he made it up to prove his "Im the DR and I am going to do this speach".

Well here is to hoping.

February 13th, 2012, 12:43 PM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had one and I even went with a medical practice of four midwives with DD. She did it and then after the fact she told me that if she didn't do it I would have had to push for about another 30 minutes (I already pushed for 2.5 hours). But ****, it sure would have been nice to have the choice bc I would have much rather pushed another 30 min! I'm using a different doctors office this time, largely bc of the awful experience I had with the midwife with DD and they said it's not a definite that I will tear bc I previously had the episiotomy but it does make it slightly more likely.
February 13th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Miracle's Avatar ♥ Melissa ♥
I think it's probably likely to happen.. but not for sure.

I had one with my first.. and I did tear with my second, but I don't think it tore through as much as the cut was.

I just go with the thinking that I will probably have stitches down there and then I'm fine with it. Although this time I have placenta previa so I will have a c-section if nothing changes.

February 13th, 2012, 01:28 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Is tearing not a good thing? I just assumed most people tore giving birth? I know that tearing is considered better for the healing process then being cut, but really we are pushing big things out of little holes, i guess tearing/cutting never made a difference to me. Just something that was bound to happen.

Im pretty sure if i am going to tear giving birth to Olivia, its going to happen regardless of what happened in my last pregnancy. No sense in really dwelling about what happened in the past, just use your knowledge for the future.
February 13th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream2bemommy22 View Post
Is tearing not a good thing? I just assumed most people tore giving birth? I know that tearing is considered better for the healing process then being cut, but really we are pushing big things out of little holes, i guess tearing/cutting never made a difference to me. Just something that was bound to happen.

Im pretty sure if i am going to tear giving birth to Olivia, its going to happen regardless of what happened in my last pregnancy. No sense in really dwelling about what happened in the past, just use your knowledge for the future.

LOL no tearing or being cut is not a good thing.
I have a lot of friends who never tore or had to be cut and they were completly pain free with in 2-3 days after having baby while I was in pain for WEEKS and not to mention sex was painful for about 18 months after the baby was born. It could have just been the degree of cut I had (no one told me the degree they cut me but my scar goes from hole to hole).
The goal is to try not to tear or need to be cut. This time I am going all natural so I hope I can control things a little better. Being in a position other than on your back and not having an epidural will make your odds of being cut or tear a lot less.
I am trying to not dwell on it but its pretty much the only part of my DD's birth I rememeber and that totally sucks

February 13th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well it's my understanding that if you don't push in the worst possible position ever - on your back - then any tear you get is way way WAY better the getting an episiotomy. A lot of docs apparently don't do them, and they are actually not recommended anymore by the something association of pregnancy whatever, lol.
February 13th, 2012, 01:54 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I honestly didn't care being cut. it was pretty painful after the birth and I had to sit in my little sitz bath for about a week but I think after a week or two mine didn't hurt. And I didn't really have pain during sex afterwards. Maybe it is the degree that you are cut that determines the amount of pain you have.

I hope that you have a better experience this time than last time. I still applaud all you ladies going natural without any pain meds. I just don't have it in me.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 13th, 2012, 01:57 PM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^Yep, episiotomies aren't highly recommended anymore bc in most cases a small tear is much better than a big slice. My OB says there are few cases where they are warranted but many times are just the doctor being lazy and wanting to get the birth over with. Pushing pretty much anyway except flat on your back helps and perineal massage is something you can try to prevent tearing and/or need for episiotomy. Slow, controlled pushing can help too.
February 13th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MJ* View Post
Well it's my understanding that if you don't push in the worst possible position ever - on your back - then any tear you get is way way WAY better the getting an episiotomy. A lot of docs apparently don't do them, and they are actually not recommended anymore by the something association of pregnancy whatever, lol.
Yep this is what one of the midwives told me... she said the whole office has a policy that they do not do them and just wait to see if you tear and in her experiance a tear is typically less than the cut would have been.
I am having this baby in a birth center so I am hoping for a much different out come.

The DR I had with my DS is older and very set in his ways... the hospital I had her at it is almost unheard of to have a natural delivery. When people ask where I had my daughter I get the "Oh now I see" responce. its a great hospital if you just want an epidural and dont care much about how they get the baby out and odds are you will have a c section.

I wish I would have read the right books and talked to the right people before I had a baby not after.

February 13th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I tore with DS and it was a pretty bad tear. His head was in the 99th % at birth (still is lol) so I don't think I stood a chance. It was not a good experience and I admit I am worried about it again. Hopefully Cole's head will be smaller!

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
February 13th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey2000k View Post
Yep this is what one of the midwives told me... she said the whole office has a policy that they do not do them and just wait to see if you tear and in her experiance a tear is typically less than the cut would have been.
I am having this baby in a birth center so I am hoping for a much different out come.

The DR I had with my DS is older and very set in his ways... the hospital I had her at it is almost unheard of to have a natural delivery. When people ask where I had my daughter I get the "Oh now I see" responce. its a great hospital if you just want an epidural and dont care much about how they get the baby out and odds are you will have a c section.

I wish I would have read the right books and talked to the right people before I had a baby not after.
If you cut/tore from hole to hole then that's a 3rd or 4th degree tear. The 4th degree would be if it went into the anus and the muscles there, while the 3rd degree doesn't go as deeply into the muscles.

I always think of cutting versus tearing like fabric (if you sew). If you cut fabric and then try to tear it, it can go very jagged. But if you tear the fabric on the grain to start, then it typically stays straight. Same thing with your perineum. If they cut you, then it's more likely for it to tear further after the cut and be jagged and harder to heal. It is also more likely to tear with future pregnancies. If you naturally tear, then it's usually more minor and heals faster.

I had natural births with both girls and I tore slightly with each. But I didn't feel it at all and wouldn't have known if I hadn't been told. I had 1-2 stitches with each girl and no pain healing, etc.

February 13th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Koti's Avatar Nugget's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Koti Send a message via Yahoo to Koti
I had a 4th degree episiotomy and honestly it wasn't that horrible. The doctor let me know that she was going to do it and I was okay with it because I had been pushing for hours and my sons head was huge, so when they cut he came.right out. She sewed me up really well and besides being constipated I haven't had a problem. Healing went smooth. Hopefully this babe has a smaller head.
February 13th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koti View Post
I had a 4th degree episiotomy and honestly it wasn't that horrible. The doctor let me know that she was going to do it and I was okay with it because I had been pushing for hours and my sons head was huge, so when they cut he came.right out. She sewed me up really well and besides being constipated I haven't had a problem. Healing went smooth. Hopefully this babe has a smaller head.
If I had more of an experiance like this then I would not be as freaked out. I remember crying for the first 3-4 days because it hurt so bad. I could not get in and out of bed, sit or walk with out feeling like I was splitting in half. I remember when DD was a little over a week old I tried to go to Babies R Us by myself to grab a couple items I needed and just the little walking in the store I did I cried the whole drive home and the rest of the night because of the pain I was in.
This could all be the DR and how well and easy they were with you... this dr was pretty ruff and I realized this after my DD was born at paps and having my IUD put in and back out.

February 13th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Koti's Avatar Nugget's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Koti Send a message via Yahoo to Koti
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey2000k View Post
If I had more of an experiance like this then I would not be as freaked out. I remember crying for the first 3-4 days because it hurt so bad. I could not get in and out of bed, sit or walk with out feeling like I was splitting in half. I remember when DD was a little over a week old I tried to go to Babies R Us by myself to grab a couple items I needed and just the little walking in the store I did I cried the whole drive home and the rest of the night because of the pain I was in.
This could all be the DR and how well and easy they were with you... this dr was pretty ruff and I realized this after my DD was born at paps and having my IUD put in and back out.
That sounds absolutely horrible. I did hurt, but it was nothing over the top, and I had an epidural that just kept wearing off. Afterwards, I was just very gentle and used that spray bottle, tucks pads, and dermoplast every single time I went to the restroom. The worst part was the bowel movements the first week or so. I begged for a laxative but they would only give me stool softeners. I was up and walking the next day.

Maybe your dr did do you rough and maybe the repair wasn't as successful. I can't imagine being in that kind of pain.
February 13th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had one with my oldest. It was my first pregnancy/delivery and the OB told me he would do one. I didn't mind. I healed fine. Since my second and this one will be a c-section, I have no other experience to go by.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
February 14th, 2012, 03:13 AM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
I had one with my first daughter.

But second daughter I didn't.....and didn't tear one bit.

I think it just depends on your personal body. Everyone is different.

}
February 14th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydiva76 View Post
I had one with my first daughter.

But second daughter I didn't.....and didn't tear one bit.

I think it just depends on your personal body. Everyone is different.
Oh good this gives me hope. I am going to try the oil rubbing on the area everyday and hope. I am going to try for a water birth and I hear that makes your changes of tearing a little less as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search