Buying a breast pump from a friend?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2012, 10:46 AM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A friend of mine at work just offered me her Medela Pump In Style backpack (Medela Pump In Style Advanced Backpack - Medela - Babies "R" Us) now that her son is weaned.

Is there any reason not to take her up on it?

I'm reading conflicting things online -- I'll definitely ask my doctor at my appointment on Friday but thought I'd ask for opinions from "real people" too.
February 13th, 2012, 07:20 PM
ArmyWife06's Avatar Proud Army Wife
I am getting the same one from a close friend. She lkes giving things to her friends (she wont sell anything). She already bought the new parts and replaced them. I would would just check what items you need to replace.

February 13th, 2012, 07:21 PM
JsBaby's Avatar Super Mommy
I just bought one off of Craigs List. I've heard good and bad with them. My friends have liked them and have had good luck with them. The ladies on here gave me a good go ahead, so I bought it. I've had the cheap ones in the past and have had no luck. I'm looking forward to using the Medela. I will be buying new tubing, shields, etc for it. I think you should use it.
February 13th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah go for it! Just replace the tubes and other replaceable parts with new ones and you are good to go. They even have instructions I believe on how to sanitize if you are using a used one.
February 13th, 2012, 10:33 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks all! I wasn't sure if using a used pump was a huge no-no. Replacing the tubes works for me! The backpack seems nice since it'll be easy to bring it to work.
February 14th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Veteran
My sister gave me her Pump-in-Style. I was on the Medela website to get new tubing (couldn't find any tubing on Amazon that was definitely from the manufacturer- it all seemed to be aftermarket) and they have multiple places where you have to certify that you aren't buying parts for a pump that was used by someone else. I trust my sister and I know that she's healthy, but I think the warnings would have made me weary about buying one from a stranger. I wouldn't have issues buying one from a friend, though. I guess it's just what you feel comfortable with.
February 14th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think the Medela's had mold issues, but if she never backed milk up into the tubing you'll be fine. Just buy all replacement parts and use her pump. That's what they do for rental pumps from the hospitals. The pumps are what over $300 - so the $30 or so for replacements parts isn't much.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

February 14th, 2012, 07:38 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
You are only supposed to be able to share the Lactina and I think Sympony they claim the others can get bacteria in the pump that can be shared.
I borrowed a Avent one from my freind until I got my Lactina but I knew she was healty and that was still a no-no but I did not have $300 that month to buy a pump..... I just dont think I would get one on Ebay or from a stanger.
I am even buying the whole new tubes kit for this baby and not sharing the ones from DD.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
February 14th, 2012, 09:07 AM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My sister got a medela pump from a friend but now she's having second thoughts because she can't find new tubing for it anywhere. She contacted Medela to find out about tubing and they totally freaked her out about using a used pump. I guess it all depends on what you're comfortable with, but beware it's hard to find replacement parts.
February 14th, 2012, 10:36 AM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After reading online that things could get transmitted through the tubes i decided against buying a used pump. i guess it depends how well you know her and if youre comfortable with it. otherwise id suggest checking craigs list for a new one or checking with your hospital if you can rent one. with my dd i rented from the hospital for $60 a month(depends how long you plan on pumping) which was easier for me then

[IMG][/IMG]

February 14th, 2012, 11:17 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are two issues with getting a used pump. First is that they are not a closed system which means milk can back up in the tubes and into the motor. So even if you replace all the tubes there *is* the chance that there will be some transfer. (And it's a huge annoyance for me... there is no reason that these companies make open systems except for the fact that you HAVE to buy new and that = more money for them. Closed systems are not that difficult to make.) So I wouldn't use a pump from a stranger, but I would from someone I knew really well. (My electric pump I got from my SIL - she used it less than a month.)

Secondly with an open system because of the above there is a good chance that bacteria and mold will grow in the motor. And that's not something to do with who uses it but rather how long it's been used for. I'm not even certain I want to use my electric pump again. And there's no way to see if there is something growing in there without cracking it open. And yes, milk and condensation definitely does back up in the tubes.... I didn't see any actual milk in my tubes but they always had beads of condensation on the insides, and that's being sucked right into the motor.
Here's a page that shows some pictures of her own pump after extended use: Molds in my breast pump! But how can that be? | Dot Dot's Little Shop

So it is really up to you, but it's not a clear "yes it's fine" answer. I mean, I did accept my SIL's pump because I know her really well and she used it very briefly. If it was an older pump used for a year or from someone I didn't know, then I probably wouldn't have taken it.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~

Last edited by lunarmagic; February 14th, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
February 14th, 2012, 12:13 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Just want to add Medela will replace them for free if you call their customer service number. Just give them your unit number.

I used a used Medela with DS, and im using SIL's ( practically brand new one) this time around. My cousin ( on DH's side) used my pump that i used for 9 months, and the person before me used here and there for a few months)
February 14th, 2012, 04:36 PM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
They say that you aren't supposed to use someone else's pump because they can get contaminated by breast milk. I borrowed my SIL's Medela when I was nursing DS. I never ever had milk get anywhere past the bottle parts. It never got into the tubes. I plan to buy a used Medela because I loved it, SIL won't be loaning me hers again, and I can't afford to shell out $280 on a pump. I will just buy all new tubes etc.

ETA: Hadn't read all the PP yet when I wrote this. I haven't done extensive researching to base my opinion on. I always thought the condensation in the tubes was just water vapor from the temp difference, but didn't know it was milk?? I may be doing a little more research before buying a used pump. Not sure where that will take me.

Last edited by imdawn; February 14th, 2012 at 04:41 PM.
February 14th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a Lansinoh pump and it is designed in a way that milk cannot get backed up into the tubes. It's less pieces to wash too and less expensive. It's also branded as Ameda. You can see if your insurance company will cover breast pumps as well.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search