how much colostrum is too much?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2012, 11:01 AM
aka shawna
is it bad when i went to scratch my nipple in my sleep last night, i woke up from something spraying me in the face?

get up to investigate. i was full on leaking. like.. i was milking myself to get rid of the annoyance.

is it normal to spray? i feel like a mama cow with udders, it is obnoxious. doesnt happen all the time, but this is the second incident where i was gushing this fluid substance. gah! i want my boobies back!!!
February 13th, 2012, 11:07 AM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow! I have never heard of that much before delivery. however after I start BF I have been known to wake up in puddles.

February 13th, 2012, 11:10 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
I dont think there is such thing as to much. You might be able to consider your self lucky and have a really good milk supply (well if you plan to breastfeed, if not good luck drying up...lol).
I never leaked with my first and had all kinds of problems with my supply and would have given anything to be like that. I had friends that could nurse on one side and just hold a cup under the other side and get 5-6 oz just from leaking and it took me all day of 30 minute pumping sessions with bloody nipples to get that

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffin300 View Post
wow! I have never heard of that much before delivery. however after I start BF I have been known to wake up in puddles.
I am with you and have never heard of squirting before your milk came in though (typically 2-5 days after baby was born). Normaly colostrum is really think and sticky.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
February 13th, 2012, 11:14 AM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
I don't think you can have "too much" as long as it is just colustrum and not leaking something wierd, like infection. I leak a little but not like that. After my milk comes in however, I'm sure I'll also leak puddles and spray all over the place. That is what happened last time!

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com
February 13th, 2012, 11:18 AM
aka shawna
oh snap. i hope someone has heard of it. i feel like i should be at a circus or something.

i'm sorry lindsey, i would trade you in a heart beat if i could. i'm not allowed to breastfeed, due to meds. so yup, this stuff is just terribly annoying and i'm getting anxious about how i will dry up. last time it hurt like hell. with my first i leaked but nothing like this. i wonder if i've done sometihng wrong..
February 13th, 2012, 11:25 AM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
I never leaked before Jake was born. But man, once my milk came in, it came in! When feeding him at night, if I didn't remember to position the breast pad just right, I would end up soaked or squirting milk across the room.

February 13th, 2012, 11:45 AM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never heard of that happening but I don't think there is such a thing as too much colostrum. I never leaked at all with DD and not at all so far with this pregnancy and I'm worried it will mean it will take ages for my milk to come in or that my supply won't be good enough. So, although that sounds really annoying for now, maybe it will be a blessing when baby arrives and you'll have a great supply.
February 13th, 2012, 12:59 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay Shawna you absolutely crack me up!! I have never heard of that happening before your milk comes in but we are pregnant so anything is possible. I was like that after Jackson was born. Somehow I was blessed with tons of milk, we actually threw away some of my pumped milk because Jackson couldn't keep up with my supply.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 13th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't worry about it at all. It's normal to leak a lot of colostrum, just a little, or none at all.

February 13th, 2012, 02:30 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it at all. It's normal to leak a lot of colostrum, just a little, or none at all.
ditto

February 13th, 2012, 09:08 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry, the vision of getting sprayed in the face made me giggle a little.

There is a large range of normal!! Some people don't leak at all before pregnancy, some do, some leak a lot. Same with after... some get huge leaky boobs (me) and some don't really notice the engorgement at all. It's all normal.

I'm sure it must feel like an extra insult to you though, since you can't breastfeed. I think if it was painful last time then unfortunately it is likely to be again. It just sounds like your body makes a lot of milk. I was the same way. Different reason, but I obviously couldn't breastfeed after my first birth, and man it was HORRIBLY painful. I remember nights of pain - and nothing people told me to do really helped. If I were to deal with that kind of engorgement again I might even consider pumping off some so that it's not AS bad (and then obviously tapering off). Something to consider maybe.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search