The things people say!!

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree16Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2012, 12:38 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm shocked at the things people will say. My secretary just told me that I looked really big for how many weeks along I am. How do you respond to something like that. I'm thinking thanks alot, you may think that but why in the world would you say something like that. I'm guessing that alot of people just speak before they think, they have that foot in mouth disease. Well it just pissed me off. I thought I was doing pretty good on my size and weight gain considering I'm alot smaller than I was when I was pregnant with Jackson. Okay I'm done ranting. I was just really irritated at her comment.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 13th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
you responds with, "pack your desk. you're fired" LMAO!
February 13th, 2012, 12:51 PM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have heard that comment multiple times from multiple people...generally it doesn't bother me because I like how I feel and look. and my last pregnancy I got the opposite comments and that was a lot more painful to hear( because I scared me that something was wrong). either way it is hard not to take it personally even while pregnant and your body pretty much just does what it wants. some days I really don't care at all. but then occasionally when someone says it they say it with that tone...you know the tone. and it is really hard not to take offense.

February 13th, 2012, 12:51 PM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That would piss me off too! The worst is when coworkers say ignorant things bc you can't totally go off since you have to work with them everyday. I got similar comments from people at work when I was pregnant with DD. If it was a total stranger in the store I would totally let them have it with a sassy comment. Maybe a little, "I'm pregnant, what's your excuse for being fat?" Anyway, sorry that happened. Some people just don't think before they talk. Hugs!!!!
melissalaw likes this.
February 13th, 2012, 01:14 PM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
You look great, so I don't know what she is talking about! I have seen your pics. Frankly, I am quite jealous of your adorable little belly. Maybe it is just because you were so small to start? A little looks like more to her? Even so, why do people say these things?

February 13th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You look great! I'd be annoyed by that comment.

At the girls' music class the other day, one of the moms was eavesdropping on the instructor (who is my friend) and me talking about the baby. She was like "oh, you're pregnant?? I wouldn't have realized, you just look like you gained some weight." I had no clue what to say, but I almost cried. I don't even know her and I would never ever say something like that to someone.

February 13th, 2012, 01:42 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post

At the girls' music class the other day, one of the moms was eavesdropping on the instructor (who is my friend) and me talking about the baby. She was like "oh, you're pregnant?? I wouldn't have realized, you just look like you gained some weight." I had no clue what to say, but I almost cried. I don't even know her and I would never ever say something like that to someone.
I'm of the mindset that if you don't have anything nice to say then just don't say anything at all. I'm just appalled at the things that come out of peoples mouth sometimes. I'm always thinking didn't your momma teach you anything.

thanks for the sweet comment.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 13th, 2012, 01:45 PM
StaceygirlPa's Avatar Waiting for our Miracle.
Send a message via AIM to StaceygirlPa
I don't understand why people have to say stuff like that.
February 13th, 2012, 01:46 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get the opposite and it always freaks me out. I keep hearing, "oh wow, you're so tiny!" and now I'm all up in my own head that the baby is too small.

I think they think they're being nice, but, dude, it's not like we have any say in how big we get!
February 13th, 2012, 01:50 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
My MIL who doesnt mean anything bad by it at all keeps talking about how big I am and how she doesnt think Im going to make it to 40 weeks if Im already this big. Granted Im pretty big lol so I dont take offense Im measuring 3 weeks ahead! but its all baby I barely gained any weight so far.

February 13th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you had to deal with that comment...some people are socially awkward and I think they want to talk to you about your pregnancy because they are excited and then that's how it comes out??!! Who knows.

I have gotten everything this pregnancy. "You're bump is so small" "Your bump is really big. I bet he will come early" in the same day hahaha. I wish people would just say "congratulations" and talk about something other than the size of our bellies. How about asking if it is a boy or girl, name choices, nursery decor, anything lol!

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
February 13th, 2012, 01:57 PM
beautyexists72's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You're in your third freakin trimester! What does she want?!?! Weirdo! You look great!

February 13th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post

What!? You totally look pregnant. I mean, what a thing to say. That lady sounds like a b$%&* who knew it would make you feel like crap and that's why she said it. I would have said, "whoa what's that foul stench? Oh ... it's you ..." and walked away! Well not really, but it would be pretty funny.
February 13th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MJ* View Post
What!? You totally look pregnant. I mean, what a thing to say. That lady sounds like a b$%&* who knew it would make you feel like crap and that's why she said it. I would have said, "whoa what's that foul stench? Oh ... it's you ..." and walked away! Well not really, but it would be pretty funny.
Yeah, I wish I had said something at least. In my head I was just like "ok, I know I'm overweight, but seriously you can tell I'm pregnant, right right right???"

February 13th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Fab-Brunette's Avatar Veteran
Yeah, I've had the same thing. At a restaurant the waitress (as I was paying!) had to remark that I looked really big for 5 months, and I was like, I'm about 25 weeks (at the time) so...

And she started telling me how her sister-in-law or someone didn't find out she was pregnant until she was 5 months and she didn't look pregnant at all.... blah blah blah

I didn't give her a good tip.

People are so stupid...

Don't worry!
February 13th, 2012, 02:44 PM
MommytoMandL's Avatar Super Mommy
My DH is the worst for this!! ugh

"Wow hunny! your huge today"

"Hunny, i fixed a womans computer at work today, she is 5 months pregnant, she is about 1/3 your size!!"

gee thanks dear

February 13th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm a little bit embarrassed about how big my belly is for far along I am, so I'm already on edge about it. My aunt had to tell my mom had big I looked at her christmas party, which of course, my mom had to tell me.

This is the same aunt that emailed to tell me how old & ugly our chosen name (norah) is and proceeded to give better names.She did this with my son's name. I just deleted the email w/o responding since I'm trying to do w/o negativity. She then asks my mom why I haven't responded to her. Uh seriously? What am I supposed to say to that w/o getting into a fight?

ugh, some people are just a-holes lol.

February 13th, 2012, 04:33 PM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
I guess what I find interesting is that people suddenly feel perfectly fine discussing a woman's weight and size when she is pregnant. As if all the womanly insecurities about that stuff just disappear when we are pregnant. I think people just really don't think about what they are saying. It doesn't bother me when people talk about the size of my belly, but I would never dream of saying anything to a pregnant woman besides, "You look great!"

newmommy710 (sorry I don't remember your real name) - I think Norah is a really pretty name.
newmommy710 likes this.

February 13th, 2012, 04:39 PM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
I really don't understand why people think it's ok to say dumb things like that?! Like really, do you think that is something we want to here. Grr people think before you speak! If you really want to say something just say "Wow what a cute baby bump you have" or "You've really popped" not "God you look huge for ## months/weeks"

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com
February 13th, 2012, 05:04 PM
aka shawna
job opening!!

i agree, some people just socially awkward. but i also think sadistic people know pregnant people are most vulnerable and they enjoy playing on that..as if it somehow makes them feel better or something. there are some sick tickets out there!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search