Info to Share: Tummy Time

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By lunarmagic
  • 1 Post By Twhylite21
  • 1 Post By speechteach42

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2012, 02:45 PM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
Here is an article from my local news station about tummy time. We've all heard it is important, but it seems that experts are elevating the importance even more.

Tummy Time: Lack of crawling blamed for developmental delays - ky3.com

February 13th, 2012, 09:16 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Really good info.

Also I wanted to mention that tummy time doesn't always mean putting baby on the floor - though of course it's good to do frequently! Kate hated being put down for a long time - I mean she would SCREAM if I put her on her belly on the floor. But she spent a LOT of time on her belly laying on my chest, and being worn upright. She had head control really early because of that, despite a lack of "tummy time" on the floor.

It's kind of frustrating to me when I see infants being kept in infant carseats all the time. It's very convenient if they've fallen asleep, or when it's cold out, or just to have a hand free while you're heading out to the car. But really they are safety devices and are not meant for keeping a baby in for long periods of time. (I would actually get comments from family members about how "You can just leave her in the carseat, you know." I WANTED to hold my baby - and she wanted to be held!)
Jennmarie likes this.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 13th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Good info! Both my girls loved tummy time and hit gross motor skill milestones early. Both were army crawling around 4 months and regular crawling by 5. Lily was fully walking at 9 months everywhere, and Vi at 8 months.

One of my aunts actually got mad at me because I "allowed" the girls to walk early, it was weird. My cousin is dyslexic and there's been some research showing that the longer a child crawls, the less likely they're to be dyslexic (something about how the head moves, if I recall correctly). I was like, what am I supposed to do? Knock them down when they walk?

February 13th, 2012, 09:26 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
Good info! Both my girls loved tummy time and hit gross motor skill milestones early. Both were army crawling around 4 months and regular crawling by 5. Lily was fully walking at 9 months everywhere, and Vi at 8 months.

One of my aunts actually got mad at me because I "allowed" the girls to walk early, it was weird. My cousin is dyslexic and there's been some research showing that the longer a child crawls, the less likely they're to be dyslexic (something about how the head moves, if I recall correctly). I was like, what am I supposed to do? Knock them down when they walk?
That is so early! I can't imagine having an early bloomer like that. DS was 9 months when he crawled and 12 months when he walked. I think the earliest thing he did was sit unassisted at 5 months exactly...still not real early.

Good article.

I used to hold DS so much that DH said he's never learn to do anything. lol Men are dumb sometimes. But if I put him down DH would just pick him up! We were baby crazy!!

February 13th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post

I got that all the time too.... Kate walked at 9 months (but didn't start crawling until 8 months... she really REALLY wanted to WALK). And people would say things like, "My grandma used to say knock their legs out from under them!" Errr, okay..... ummm... kind of crazy and not at all helpful? Besides, she was WAY happier once she could walk.

~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 13th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
That is so early! I can't imagine having an early bloomer like that. DS was 9 months when he crawled and 12 months when he walked. I think the earliest thing he did was sit unassisted at 5 months exactly...still not real early.

Good article.

I used to hold DS so much that DH said he's never learn to do anything. lol Men are dumb sometimes. But if I put him down DH would just pick him up! We were baby crazy!!
I have always held the girls a ton and ppl would make comments. And yeah, I had 2 early bloomers. I was always told by my mom (and since she's a doctor, I believed her) that 2nd children are slower at gross motor skills - but Violet was always faster. I realized that my mom probably lied to me (I was the 2nd child) to make me feel better about walking later than my older sister We'll see how this baby is though...but it'd be weird for me to not have an early walker since I've had 2 now.
.:fearless:. likes this.

February 13th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
Funny enough people used to say that to me too. LOL! Because I wore her all the time. And see above about the early walking.

~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 13th, 2012, 09:46 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I had to share it on FB. Good stuff.

February 14th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
YES, give your babies lots of tummy time! DS2 had silent reflux and nursed a lot, so he didn't spend much time on his tummy. Also, DS1 was only 18 months when DS2 was born, so I didn't leave DS2 on the floor a lot because I didn't want him getting trampled. Anyway, I talked to the pediatrician about lack of tummy time when DS2 was only a few months old, and he said don't worry about it - "I've never seen a baby not crawl, etc. from lack of tummy time." So I didn't push it. DS2 hated tummy time, so why make him suffer. Well, DS2 is almost two and he's just starting to figure out crawling. He can walk and run just fine now, but it's been hard getting his motor development on track. He's been in physical therapy since 15 months. And now he's going to do speech therapy because he was so busy working on motor skills that he didn't spend time learning how to talk. Anyway, all I wished for with DS2 was that he be a good nurser since DS1 didn't nurse very well. I got my wish - he's still nursing at almost 2, but I nursed him like every time he cried or whimpered for about his first year, and that didn't leave time for much else.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
February 14th, 2012, 11:56 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for posting.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 14th, 2012, 12:19 PM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Tummy time is important, but I agree with others that the only way to do tummy time isn't with baby laying on the floor on tummy. Wearing or holding baby on your chest belly down also counts as tummy time and helps with head control. Ellie wouldn't lay flat on her tummy on the floor or a mat for anything but I wore/held her constantly and she had great head control and was SO strong early on. She skipped crawling and went straight to walking and I disagree with skipping crawling making your child more likely to have developmental delays. Ellie didn't crawl at all, ever and she is smart as a whip and is ahead on communication and motor milestones. I appreciate the article reminding that tummy time is important but I hope it doesn't freak moms out and make them think they need to be there everyday with a timer or something for tummy time. I think let common sense be your guide and don't park your baby in a "bucket" (carseat, swing, bouncer, etc) all day and you'll be fine.
lunarmagic likes this.
February 15th, 2012, 05:42 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Well, i guess im the only one who doesnt agree with the article. Both of my kids did not appreciate tummy time early on. DS was crawling at 5 months, and DD was crawling at 6 months, both walking before 11 months. DD had head control out of the hospital, but hated being on her tummy.

I used to get comments on how DS was so heavy he would crawl and walk late, and he was earlier than DD in both of them.

Neither of my kids are slow developmentally or intellectually, and they did not have tummy time until they wanted it. They did not spend a lot of time confined though, they loved being on their backs, so they spent time on their backs or being held by me. DD loved being held facing outwards ( basically right away, never liked being cradled) and DS loved being carried in the babyhawk carrier.
February 16th, 2012, 12:15 PM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^I think tummy time is somewhat important but I think the article overall is way too alarmist and extreme. My daughter hated being on her tummy unless she was being held and I wasn't about to let her lay there and scream just so I could say she had her "tummy time" everyday. She never crawled and skipped straight to walking, but as I said above she's at least on target if not ahead on all her milestones so I'm not buying it.
February 16th, 2012, 12:36 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by speechteach42 View Post
^I think tummy time is somewhat important but I think the article overall is way too alarmist and extreme. My daughter hated being on her tummy unless she was being held and I wasn't about to let her lay there and scream just so I could say she had her "tummy time" everyday. She never crawled and skipped straight to walking, but as I said above she's at least on target if not ahead on all her milestones so I'm not buying it.

Maybe thats what rubbed me the wrong way about the article...it was very " if you dont put your kid on your belly, they will automatically be stunted in developement" And i just disagree with this completely. i feel like so many other things play a factor in this.

My kids started tummy time when they were able to roll over onto it, so around 3-4 months. I figured since they were putting themselves there, they could turn themselves if they werent happy, lol. But like Shelly's daughters, Charlie was scooting around the floor by 4 months and crawling at 5. Kenzie was scooting at 5 months crawling at 6 months. Not forcing tummy time on my 1-3 month old didnt affect anything in my case.

Yes there are lots of ways to do tummy time without being on the floor. But i just feel like this article is a scare tactic for new moms. Are there some cases where it rang true, obviously, but im willing to bet genetics and just the baby in general had a lot to do with it. Not just if the parents put them on their belly.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search