BTDT moms - head size and delivery method

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For your pervious kids, what was their head circumference and how did you deliver them?

I was just reminded looking through records that my son had a 37cm head - 14.5 inches. Born via c section. I am hoping this isn't all that large :/
February 13th, 2012, 06:25 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
15 inches. Vaginal. lol

He was almost out from my body doing all the work before I started pushing so I pushed 3 times. I wasn't rushed. I wasn't cut. It was easy with minimal tearing and I have no bladder or sexual issues from it.

The vag is an amazing part of the body!!

15 inches is a big head, btw. I grow them big....he's always been in the upper 90th percentile.
muffin300 and melissalaw like this.

February 13th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah if 14.5 is 75th percentile, 15 is huge! This makes me feel a lot better. Was he overdue, early or on time? How was he almost out of your body before you pushed? Did you just allow your body to do the pushing for you? (I just asked about this on the NCB forum). What position did you deliver him in, if you don't mind me asking.
February 13th, 2012, 06:29 PM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hmm I don't even know if they ever told me his head size...my guess would be average.

February 13th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MJ* View Post
Yeah if 14.5 is 75th percentile, 15 is huge! This makes me feel a lot better. Was he overdue, early or on time? How was he almost out of your body before you pushed? Did you just allow your body to do the pushing for you? (I just asked about this on the NCB forum). What position did you deliver him in, if you don't mind me asking.
I was induced 6 days early. I had dilated 2 cm and I was 90% effaced before labor ever started.

I labored for 4 hours without an epi and got one at 5 cm...labored for 4 more hours (didn't feel a thing). And the nurse came to check me out and said he was very low and ready and asked if i wanted to do a practice push to see how I did. Well, apparently I did very well. Before I knew it she was telling me to slow down and they got my bed broken down and the doctor came in. By the time that happened he was just a few pushes away from being out. I didn't even have to try that hard. I think them leaving me alone and letting me rest allowed my body to do the work.

I was lying down. They didn't rush me. He said my body had time to stretch and I tore very little.

I did have lots of bruising. I guess that's to be expected from a big headed kid.

He was 7 lbs 12 oz. Not a huge child.

February 13th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Both Lily and Vi were right around 13.5" head circumference. Lily was born at 39 weeks, Vi was at 38w,3d. NCBs with both, tore tiny bit with each - I think with Lily, I had 2 stitches and Vi was one.

February 13th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Koti's Avatar Nugget's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Koti Send a message via Yahoo to Koti
I can't remember off of the top of my head, but my kid had a huge head. At his dr appointments they would always measure several times to make sure they weren't mistaking. His head was always in the 98th% and up it seemed. Hmm....I'll have to dig out his stuff and look because I can't remember.

Oh, and vaginal.
February 13th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy

You girls are making me feel better. So how much do you think my kid having a larger head and being completely posterior, me being exhausted from a very long labor and 3 hours of pushing on my back without an epi had to do with me getting a section? It seems like there are lots of things I can do to get the vbac I want, right? Better support, positions, getting him to flip before they break my water perhaps. Not letting them break my waters. Aghhhh!
February 13th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well, you already know that I think you're a great candidate for a VBAC. I think you had a set of circumstances that kind of all compiled together and made it more difficult for you. Different positions really make such a huge difference with getting a baby out.

February 13th, 2012, 06:53 PM
I think the baby being posterior had more to do with how difficult the labor was and the size had very little to do with it. If they can move down then they can come out...if they are stuck it takes more work.

I hope you get your VBAC. I know you can do it!

February 13th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well his head was somewhat molded I think at the very back... let me find a pic ...

February 13th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
And thank you guys so much for the support! I have been getting very excited thinking about this kiddos birth, but then the head size thing sort of got me a bit nervous.
February 13th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I could not ask for more.
Aiden was about 15in (he had a big old' head) but he was delivered csection.

February 13th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
quite a few big headed babies I posted the pics to show that I think Jillian is right - if he started to at least get molded to the pelvis then surely he would have eventually gone all the way through.

They said he had meconium. Is that why he is yellow? I was confused b/c meconium is black, but I guess it could have stained the vernix yellow?
February 13th, 2012, 08:33 PM
My sister's baby had meconium and when her water broke it was tinted a yellowish color. Her baby looked like yours. I was in the room with her and saw it all.

Last edited by *Jillian*; February 13th, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
February 13th, 2012, 09:44 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ummmm. I had to look it up and convert. I think around 13 inches? She was pretty petite (still is ).

Posterior makes a HUGE difference. A posterior head doesn't fit correctly through the pelvis and makes the head seem much larger than if it was in anterior position. And of course pushing on your back won't allow your pelvis to open up as much as if you were squatting. So yes there are definitely things you can do to make this labor go much better! There's no reason you can't have a VBAC this time. Your section sounds like it was due to just a lot of puzzle pieces falling in the wrong place, too many things stacked up against that baby coming out. This baby is a fresh start in terms of labor.

Kate was actually posterior my entire pregnancy and for the first half of labor. For the last month I religiously did Spinning Babies exercises to get her to spin, spent a lot of time on all fours, and in labor was on all fours a lot leaning on my birth ball, swaying, trying to convince that kid to turn around. And she did!! I was so thankful.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 13th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MJ* View Post
quite a few big headed babies I posted the pics to show that I think Jillian is right - if he started to at least get molded to the pelvis then surely he would have eventually gone all the way through.

They said he had meconium. Is that why he is yellow? I was confused b/c meconium is black, but I guess it could have stained the vernix yellow?
Vi pooped in me, when my water broke it was greenish-yellow. But when she came out, the vernix was still pretty white. But it can stain it a different color. We actually rubbed the vernix in on her versus giving her a bath, since the vernix can help moisturize them, etc. If it had been stained though, I probably would've bathed her

February 14th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Kendalls head was HUGE definitely beyond te 75th% but I had her via cesarian which had nothing to do with her head.
February 14th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think both my boys had 37 cm heads - or at least my first did. They were both over 90%. They were both born vaginally, and my first was about 20 min. of pushing and my second just kind of fell out when my water broke. I had a few stitches with each. It was a little painful, but not too bad.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
February 14th, 2012, 10:14 AM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't remember the exact measurement off the top of my head but I know she was in the 75th percentile for head circumference. Given the size of DH's head (huge!) I'm thankful it was only that big! I had a vaginal delivery with a fairly big episiotomy (9 stitches) but I think I would have been better off without that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search