Antidepressants and Breastfeeding

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By muffin300
  • 1 Post By .Katie.
  • 1 Post By imdawn
  • 4 Post By Jennmarie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2012, 01:28 PM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
Anyone here take antidepressants while breastfeeding? If so, what did you take? On starting to do some research, I'm feeling better about the possibilities. So just wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience?

I was on one before TTC and I'm currently a depressed mess, so I'm just trying to anticipate what my plan will be postpartum. I'm anticipating myself being a hot mess. I don't want to be that way for a year again. Not fair to my kids or my husband.

February 17th, 2012, 01:48 PM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used a low dose of Zoloft while breastfeeding DS. I had started having crazy anxiety after having him and they said that it should be fine just make sure he is still gaining weight and isn't reacting badly to it. he had no problems that I could see from it. and he seems to be very intelligent and healthy in my opinion anyway . he didn't have any problems weening either(no withdrawal)
imdawn likes this.

February 17th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any experience with it; but I will be adding extra vitamin D3 to my vitamin regimen after birth. I have more insight into what causes a lot of my mood issues/anxiety etc postpartum; so I try really hard to deal with it naturally. But I totally advocate for taking meds if they are needed too! Just wanted to offer my experience.

February 17th, 2012, 05:49 PM
.Katie.
Popping in from April

I started Zoloft the day Kaylee was born, and it changed my life. She was a great nurser and went on to nurse for 18 months. I continued taking it until I got pregnant with this little girl. Stopped when we started TTC.

I was put back on it in December after my depression went to an alltime low. Currently take 50mg. Still have bad days every week or so but nothing compared to what I was (not able to get out of bed, care for myself or my kids).

So there's my two bits. BF is safe, and after the first trimester if the benefits outweigh the risks (which are crazy minimal) then it can be safe to take while pregnant too. I know that's not what you asked but if you're having a hard time, don't be afraid to reach out and talk to your doctor. If you ever feel like hurting yourself or anyone else go straight to the ER.

I hope you feel better soon.
Jennmarie likes this.
February 18th, 2012, 05:01 AM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks so much for sharing ladies. I know that it isn't always easy to talk about. Katie, thanks for popping in. I'm glad you saw my post

I think I'm going to talk to my doctor about possibly starting something now. And if I decide not to do that, I'm at least going to talk about getting a prescription in so that I can start it as soon as the baby is born.
muffin300 likes this.

February 18th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Healthy mommies make for healthy babies!! I wish mental health wasn't such a taboo topic. Its a real medical condition...not something anyone makes up or wishes for. I'm proud of you for being proactive and recognizing the need for help, and knowing that this is a case of your body not doing what its supposed to...NOT a case of YOU not doing what you are supposed to. ((((Hugs)))) I don't know if you read thebloggess...if you don't you should, she is awesome; but one of my favorite quotes of hers is "depression is a lying *******". So true!!

February 18th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had severe depression issues prior to having my DD. I was lucky & since delivery almost 2 1/2 years symptom free without meds! Seems that my chemical imbalance was improved with the childbearing experience. I hope you have the same experience! I don't have any experience with meds & BF'ing but I wanted to share a positive PP experience with depression to give you some hope!
February 18th, 2012, 10:00 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been on Celexa (citalopram) for over 10 years now. I had a bad run of just crazy hormonal depression and anxiety right around the time I graduated from high school and it took me a while to go on meds and get myself sorted out. I'm on a low dose and it works REALLY well for me and every time I try weaning off of it I end up sliding backwards again. It's not worth it to me. I'm okay staying on the meds if it means I am happy and healthy. I have really no side-effects.

I have stayed on my antidepressant through all three pregnancies and breastfeeding my daughter - and I'll stay on it this time, too. I did a LOT of research before I ever got pregnant, and really it came down to the fact that there really hasn't done much research done, it's an area that they can't really do double-blind studies or whatever, but the reports of side-effects in babies amounted to "some were possibly a little sleepy after birth." And it's a risk vs benefit. I talked with several doctors and decided it was healthier for me to be in a good mental space while pregnant.

There's little research when it comes to breastfeeding and breastmilk, too. It does get passed through the milk, so it's not a no-risk situation, but again there really haven't been any negative side-effects seen (that I know of). Breastmilk is so healthy and full of good things in it that I decided for me it was better for my baby to get a little bit of medication in my milk than to just do formula. I certainly never noticed any side-effects in Kate. She was a sleepy newborn, but that's really normal either way, and it didn't last very long. She was a happy baby, she nursed well, and we nursed for a long time - 18 months.

So I do think it's possible and an option for you. Different doctors have different opinions and it's really really hard to get a straight answer from anyone about it. But good luck!!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 18th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I took zoloft when c was about 3 months old until I got pregnant this ime. It really helped me. But it did make me super sleepy for some reason.?? I found myself snipping at the kids a lot and being really agitated all the time. One afternoon I caught myself yelling at my 5 year old for not having any motivaion, lack of being proactive... lol she looked at me like I was nuts, and I called my ob. Lol! He called in the zoloft. I'm thinking id like to just take it from the get go this time and ward off what I can and then wean if I'm doing ok. Well see. But definetly mention it! My ob told me not to worry, that zoloft is perfectly fine while bfing. And she didn't have any issues when I started or stopped, so I'm thinking he was right. Because. Really watched her like a hawlk for any changes in her mood or personality or eating habits.
February 19th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Koti's Avatar Nugget's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Koti Send a message via Yahoo to Koti
I stopped breastfeeding my son to start taking antidepressants because it was becoming harmful to my health(I broke my hand punching a window). I took Zoloft, it didn't work and switched to Lexapro which made me numb. Eh, I stopped because everything including breastfeeding was too much for me and it was a good excuse to stop. I hope I don't have to deal with that this time.
February 20th, 2012, 09:12 AM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
BIG HUGS!!! I battled with it something awful years ago. I have no advice really, just here to say I understand. I was an emotional wreck while pregnant with Julian. I was on effexor. Then, like someone else said, after him my chemical imbalance changed. It was odd! I did nothing different at all. Good luck to you dear and I hope you find some relief soon, as it is NO FUN.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search