How long will you labor at home?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2012, 02:30 PM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
For those planning hospital births, how long do you think you will you labor at home? Have you talked to you doctor about when you should go in? For BTDT, when did you go in with your previous babies? For moms of 2 or more, did your 2nd/3rd/etc births move quicker?

________

I really, really wanted a home birth, but DH would not agree to it. So, I'm hoping for as little interference as possible and another unmedicated birth. My hospital is only about 10 minutes away. I haven't talked with my doc yet, but plan to. I definitely want to labor at home for as long as possible. However, I also don't want an unassisted birth, so I know I don't want to wait TOO long.

With Jake, I probably was in labor at home for about 3-4 hours. I went into labor around midnight, water broke around 2 and by the time we got out of the house it was around 4:30 or so. I was 6-7 cm when I arrived in triage, started pushing at 10 and Jake was born at 10:13. Everything seemed to happen so fast!

February 18th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My hospital is about 20 minutes away without traffic, and up to an hour+ with traffic.

Anyway, I had Lily there (NCB). My water broke around 1030pm, but contractions didn't start for a few more hours (close to 1am). I had been told to go by the 5-1-1 rule (go in when contractions are 5 minutes apart, lasting for one minute each for one hour)...but my contractions were like that or closer together immediately. I stayed home until about 345am, when they were coming every 1-2 minutes apart for over an hour. I just felt like we should go in. I got into L&D around 430am and was 4.5cm dilated. Lily was born at 751am, so just over 3 hours later. I could have stayed home longer, but since my contractions were so close together, I felt like I might have been further dilated then I was.

With Vi, I had a home birth and I've been trying to analyze it recently to see when I would have gone to the hospital, if I'd been having a hospital birth. I just remember contractions super close together (like with Lily) and then I needed to push, so I'm not sure if there was a point where I would've felt like "ok, we should go now" or not.

This baby will be at the hospital. My labor with Lily from first contraction to delivery was just under 7 hours. I started pushing at about 6 hours and 15 minutes into labor. With Vi, I started pushing at 6 hours in and then pushed for 3 hours on top of that for a labor of just over 9 hours. Since both my labors have had contractions one on top the other the entire labor, my plan is to stay home until I feel like I'm in transition or needing to push I never felt transition with either Lily or Vi though, so my plan may end up with me delivering in the car or at home unplanned.

DH wants to head to the hospital around hour 5, if my contractions are on top of each other like they were with the girls. Just because with both I was ready to push at around 6 hours in, but this labor may be totally different.

I'm not much help, am I?

February 18th, 2012, 03:00 PM
You are help, Shelley! I'm just trying to get an idea in my head about what my plan will be. I know that you can't expect a L&D to go "according to plan" but I like to have at least a guideline. And with Jake, my plan really helped! I like hearing about everyone else's experiences and ideas.

February 18th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh, and in general, most subsequent labor/deliveries go faster than the first. With me, it didn't, but I think it would have if Vi hadn't been stuck. But of course, not every subsequent one goes faster.

Did you feel signs of transition with Jake (vomiting, thoughts like you can't do this any longer, etc?). If you did, then you can look for those with this baby. Like I said, I never had that with the girls, so I can't judge off those, but it'd be helpful. I've also known women that have checked themselves in labor (prior to water breaking) to try to gauge dilation as well. Or they had their husbands do it. I never have done that though, but it's a consideration.

February 18th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I'm pretty sure transition was about the time I got to the hospital last time. I threw up a couple times in triage and then again once or twice more in the delivery room. So maybe, once I puke, it's time to go
Twhylite21 likes this.

February 18th, 2012, 03:15 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
Ive started thinking about this a lot. It's my first so Im have no idea what to expect and it makes it hard to plan. I know the longer I labor in the hospital the higher the chances of pit or a csection even so i really want to stay home as much as I can. My hospital is about a 20-30 minute drive. Recently Ive started thinking that we'll start leaving the house after my water breaks if it does, or when contractions are 5 minutes apart, but then instead of going in to the hospital walk around a little while or chill in the car if I can there is a really nice park right up the road from the hospital we could go to. That way I would be right there, but not being all hooked up and monitored the whole time? I don't know, in reality Ill probably get worried and chicken out and go in way too early lol at least I have midwives so the chances of intervention are a little lower.

February 18th, 2012, 03:15 PM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
Wish I could help ya. I was induced with both of my girls.

With Brooke I received pitocin in the afternoon, waited all of the rest of the day and nothing happened. So they took me off and let me rest for the night. Started back up the next morning and had her by 3:30.

With Lilly they started me at 10 pm and I had her by 2am. So 4 hours!

I'm honestly scared to death to go into actual labor unassisted and uncontrolled in the hospital. I hope to god I get induced again but I'm hoping to get drugs as soon as I want/need it this time too.

Hope you get some better answers than mine.

}
February 18th, 2012, 04:18 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I would wait until contractions are 4-5 min apart and lasting about a minute a piece. Pretty much standard procedure.
.:fearless:. likes this.

February 18th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I read some article that said second time moms or more should go in when contrax are 5-7 min apart since labor is faster each time. Not sure if that is valid. I have no idea when I will go in.
February 18th, 2012, 07:04 PM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
to be honest I am nervous about this. I was having contractions for a couple days before going in last time. and when I finally went in it was for a reg appt. I was at 5 cm. I had him a couple hours later. now I am nervous I will go in to early and labor for a really long time at the hospital. or I will wait to long laboring at home and barely make it hah

February 18th, 2012, 07:26 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really don't know, and that's what scares me. LOL I don't want to go in too soon and be stuck at the hospital for hours when I'm perfectly comfortable at home, but I have fast easy labors and I cut it REALLY close last time... I don't want to be that rushed and panicky again.

With Kate I was fine laboring at home until I hit transition. luckily I knew from my first birth that it was in fact transition and that I needed to GO RIGHT NOW. We BARELY made it to the hospital in time, Kate was born 5 minutes after I got wheeled in the front door. And that was a saturday morning at 6am when there was NO traffic... had we gotten stuck in traffic she would have been born in the car.

So I think my plan with this one is to go in when things start being painful and I feel her dropping. I know with Kate when that happened it was only a couple hours before she was born. I had a thought that maybe I should head in but I postponed because I knew she had been posterior and was prepared for a longer labor! (Little did I know she'd spun in labor...)

They did tell me that second births tend to be the fastest... and that third is the wild card. We shall see!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 18th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was induced with my first so I have no clue. My plan back then was to stay at home and labor for a bit. But I think it would have not been very good for me. it took me about 15 hours to dilate enough to get my epi. I was a complete mess. So being in the hospital was best for me.

This will be my second c section. If it were vaginal I'd go right in. But that's because of needing pain meds.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
February 18th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MJ* View Post
I read some article that said second time moms or more should go in when contrax are 5-7 min apart since labor is faster each time. Not sure if that is valid. I have no idea when I will go in.
Yeah, 5 minutes apart lasting for a minute for over an hour is a good rule of thumb for most people, especially after the first baby. If you had a previous labor with contractions one on top of the other from the get go (like mine) though, then a 3-1-1 or 2-1-1 rule is generally better (3 or 2 minutes apart, lasting a minute, for over one hour). Mainly since my labors pretty much started with 5 minute apart contractions and then the last few hours before pushing they were a minute apart. I know my midwives with Vi wanted me to call them when contractions were 10 minutes apart since my labor with Lily had gone fairly quickly. The first hour with Vi, I had contractions 7-10min apart and then the intervals just got shorter and shorter really quickly.

Hospitals will typically send you home if you aren't at least 4 or 4.5cm dilated when you first come in as well, unless your water has broken. I think most of it is a gut feeling of "ok, I need to get there *now*".

Some people also say if you can talk through contractions then you're fine, but I was always able to talk. I've also heard of the smile test - if you can smile for the camera before going to the hospital, then you're not close to giving birth. But again, I think that would vary for everyone.

And if you're concerned about delivering on the way there, then definitely err on the side of caution versus waiting it out for too long. In Lily's PR, one mom delivered in the car just outside the hospital. And in Vi's PR, one mom made it in about a minute before pushing out her baby (she had to go to a diff. hospital since it was closer and she couldn't make it all the way to hers). I keep having dreams that I deliver in the car I have an emergency birth kit just in case

February 18th, 2012, 08:34 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes good point about the hospital sending you home if you aren't in active labor (which they consider to be 4-5cm).

And the "wait until 5 minuets apart" thing didn't work with me because mine never got closer together than 7-8 minutes apart. And I smiled for the camera during labor, lol. But during contractions things do change. I do have to concentrate during contractions. That's probably a good sign to me to head in.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 18th, 2012, 09:21 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Last time, my water started leaking, but I didnt contract...we waited about 3 hours, then went in, they confirmed that it was my water, we waited...then about 3 hours later, I started pitocin...waited...then at midnight my water BURST, and full on everything hurts contractions started, and he was born 4 hours later...

So, I would love to contract at home for a while this time, but when my contractions start, theres no messing around (at least from my experience last time) so I'm definitely going to go in pretty soon (specially if they ramp like they did with Kaiden - I went from a 3 to a 10 in less than an hour!!)
February 18th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was induced with both boys, so they went in when they told us =) Both labors were about the same, though, so I have a pretty good idea (I think) of how things go. Who knows it might be totally different with this one if I don't have to be induced. I remember having contractions I could reasonably handle with the boys until about 2 hours before they were born. I think I'll know when the contractions are getting bad, but still not THAT bad, and then we'll go in. It's only about 10 min. to our hospital, but I don't want to be a wreck in the car on the way there. DH will probably make me go in earlier than I want to, but I hope to be able to resist him. Both my labors were fast (about 6.5 hours from start of pitocin to delivery) and with Austin I didn't push at all, he just fell out when my water broke. DH is an EMT and Army Medic, so if we stay home too long, he can just deliver the baby =)
imdawn likes this.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

February 19th, 2012, 04:38 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
I have NO idea. I guess it all really depends on how things start for me. Ive never gone into labor on my own, so i dont know how fast things will escalate on their own. I do know that things went EXTREMELY quick with DS when i was induced, so that has be a bit concerned.

I guess the only time i will panic to want to get to the hospital is if my water breaks, becuase after my water broke with DS, he was born withing 2-3 hours. Im about 30-40 minutes from my hospital, and i figure with checking in, ect, that wouldnt leave me with too much wiggle room, lol.
February 19th, 2012, 07:57 AM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
Don't forget that if you're a Group B positive person that you need to head into the hospital sooner than later so that you get enough of the med treatment before baby is actually born.

imdawn likes this.

}
February 19th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Shelley what's in your emergency birth kit? My contractions started about 5-7 min apart with my son, and I was only at 2cm when I had to go in for pre-e after "laboring" for 3-4 hours. But I wouldn't call it hard labor at all. It was completely bearable, more uncomfortable then anything, and I wouldn't have gone in unless I had to for the bp. Then I got pit and was stuck in bed with a posterior baby, but had those not happened, perhaps labor would have been faster? I am really paranoid it will be the opposite experience this time and I won't be prepared should the baby arrive before we make it to the hospital. I don't think its likely, but if I don't have bp issue I want to wait until the last possible second to go in. And I don't know if I will be able to tell if a contraction is really that bad because I labored on pit before so I am comparing it to that! kwim? I am trying not to over think it, but not doing a very good job of that

I was also thinking since I am vbac maybe I should go in sooner, in case of a complication. My doc is ok with intermittent monitoring and I know the uterine rupture risk for me is very low, but still. So much to decide!
February 19th, 2012, 08:57 AM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
AGH! NO IDEA!!! My 2 births that were unassisated by medications (was induced with DD) were SO short. I didn't even know I was in freaking labor. I was almost 6 CM with my first son before I found out I was in labor (I seriously thought I had to poop!) and had him 4 hours later. My youngest (Julian) my water broke at 630am and I had him at 938am. I was 6cm when I got to L&D. I have never had a labor that I am like hmmm lets watch these contractions. My OB told me with Ethan in the office, and well, my water broke with J. I have always been only about 10 min away form L&D, now....I am over an hour. I do NOT want to deliever baby in my van. I am honestly hoping my water breaks again so that I can have a for sure sign lol! Not much help, eh Dawn?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search