BTDT moms-- Baby Clothes Sizes

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Veteran
I've started to stock up on baby clothes... a few new items, some hand-me-downs, and a pile from consignment and thrift stores. We live in Illinois, so seasons are nearly as important as sizes in purchasing clothes. This is our first baby. I was wondering how spot-on your baby's size was compared to his/her age. I'm assuming that if our baby is average-sized or slightly larger than average (both DH and I were 8 to 9.5 pound newborns and stayed slightly taller than average until Kindergarten), that our girl might almost skip newborn sizes, and she will need summer clothes in 0-3 mo and some 3-6 month sizes, and 6-9 month clothes will mostly be worn during the winter. I'm not buying much clothing bigger than 9 months unless it is SUPER cute. Any advice? Also, I've noticed that most pajamas that I see in stores right now seem to be quite warm. We're planning to use a swaddler while the baby is really little (assuming that she doesn't hate it), so should we bother buying pj's or plan on having her mostly sleep in onesies or in just a diaper and the swaddle blanket?

Thanks!
February 18th, 2012, 04:36 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I liked one piece PJ's. It's totally up to you and how warm or cool your house is. We keep our air conditioner kickin cause it's Alabama and summer, and if you don't you burn up. My son's issue was length more than anything. If you have to button between the legs, keep in mind that length will make them grow out of it even quicker than weight sometimes.

We only used newborn for the first month, I think. He could fit in some 0-3 at that time, but he was 7 lb 12 oz, so he needed to put on a little before those fit really well.

And he would start the next stage of clothing about a month or two ahead of time because of his length. I guess that answers you better. But that is with a boy and I have never had to buy little dresses so I don't know how they run on longer babies.

February 18th, 2012, 05:04 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
I havent had my own yet but I've been in daycare for a while and this is what I can say

1. every baby is different so unfortunately you will end up with some clothes that never get worn due to season/size. I had one baby wearing 12 mo. at 7 mo and another baby that didn't get into 3 mo until 7 mo so it just depends Try to buy layers so you have like a tshirt and a sweater available in the same size, and buy plain white onesies in every size both long and short sleeve cause you will use them all. Also keep in mind that even in summer you may have cooler nights and want long sleeves and likewise it can stay warm well into october and you will want short sleeves. So just have a variety of things and you should be fine.

2. Keep in mind that most clothes that list one size means up to that size so a carters 3 mo usually means they wear it up to 3 mo.

3. Gerber clothes all run small. newborn is practically preemie and 3 mo is newborn ect.

4. Clothes from stores like old navy and gap tend to last a little longer because they are sized for a 6 month range

5. Keep in mind any vacations you might take and what the climate will be like so if you get something summery thats way to big hang on to it incase you end up on the beach in winter

February 18th, 2012, 05:46 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
My DS was right on track ( even now still) with the age for clothing sizes. So 6-9 months old, he was in 6-9 months, ect.

DD was so off. She was so tiny and petite. She stayed in 0-3 for like 5 months, 3-6 until 9 months, ect. Even now, she is 4, and still wears some 2t and 3t stuff, but sometimes needs 5t pants for length.

Ive got even amounts of clothes for all the ranges, but i live in Florida, so i mostly need warm weather clothing, i do have some pants and long sleeves for the "winter" months. But i totally get living in illinois with the seasons, as thats where my 1st 2 were born.

I would not go over the top, becuase you never know how your kids will be. I had so many 3-6 month summer clothes for DD that i bought while i was preggo on clearance ( seriously like 20 outfits or more) and she was barely able to wear anything, becuase she didnt fit at all in those clothes until the end of summer.
February 18th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Both my girls were always big for their age starting around 2 weeks old (like 90th percentile and up for weight). Lily was, and still, is up there for height, but Vi is average for height. Yet, both have generally been pretty spot on for clothing sizes.

Lily was 7lbs, 6oz at birth (19.75 inches) and Vi was 8lbs, 5oz (19.25) inches. Both wore newborn for the first 2-3 weeks, then 0-3. At 6 months old, they were both just under 20lbs and wore 6-12mo clothes (I tend to buy Gap and those brands that size it in 6 month ranges at that point).

I don't usually buy very far ahead in sizes, just in case the child has a big growth spurt. Lily recently had grew height wise a ton and went from wearing 3s to almost fitting 5s for pants overnight. Vi is 23 months old and wears 18-24mo and some 2T.

So, for this baby I'm buying a few newborn things and then mainly 0-3 months for the summer. Then, 3-6 months for fall and early winter (some summery stuff as well, since it doesn't get cool here until late Oct/early Nov).

For pajamas, it just depends. Lily was born in early August when temps were in the 100s most days and even with the A/C running, we just put her in a onesie with a sleep sack over it. Vi was born in late March and it was a bit cooler (60s/70s), so we did one piece sleepers for night.

February 18th, 2012, 06:14 PM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
DS was 8 lb 2 oz at birth, but gained fast. He has stayed around the 90-95 %ile for height and weight (I am 5'6 and DH is 6'4). I may not be a very good comparison, but I'll give my 2 cents. He was in NB for maybe 2 weeks max. He was definitely in 6-9 month by fall. He was born on June 10 and we have pretty warm summers (aver. 80-95). He was a cuddle bug and ended up with heat rash a lot. He was never in more than a onesie and often was just in a diaper. At night, he liked to be swaddled and rarely wore more than a onesie under the swaddle blanket.

February 18th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This is going to vary greatly from baby to baby.. ella would lag behind a few months in clothing sizes. Wyatt went from nb to 6-9 months in a matter of weeks! And kept going from there! It seemed the second I got his wardrobe in order he outgrew it! He's still big! Much bigger than hisbig sister. Ella is 5 and in a 4t and wyatt is 4 and in a 5t or big boy extra small. Caroline seems to run true to age, biut in the beginning she wore nb and 0-3 nearly until 6 months old! Haha different brands are going to fit differently as well. But you will learn that thru trial and error. A good rule of thumb is the more expensive the brand, the longer the clothes fit. Lol its because of this that I'm leary of buying much past 0-3 for this boy. I just don't know how he will grow.
February 18th, 2012, 06:45 PM
JennLynn_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My little girl was tiny when she was born. Only 5lbs, 8oz. she was pretty much bang on when it came to sizes. Still is pretty much. SHe's almost 3 and is in a size 3/3t and she started off in preemie clothes.

It's hard to predict...

http://JenniferDow.SBC90.com
February 18th, 2012, 06:52 PM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DS just happened to be right on track all along even now. of course there are some weird brands that mess up. he was only 6 lbs 3oz at birth though. and has stayed small he is in the 25% to 30th%.

February 18th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I could not ask for more.
Aiden was 8.6lbs at birth. He was in newborn size for 2-3 weeks. He was also pretty true to size... Still is. Although he'll be 3 in March and still wears 2T.

I've bought 0-6 months summer clothes and 6-9 months winter. I'm hoping/thinking she'll be close to correct size too.

February 18th, 2012, 08:40 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kate has always been pretty petite so she lagged behind in clothes. she wore 3M until 4 or 5 months, wore 6M until 9 months, etc. She's just recently moved into 24M tops, but she's still in 18M bottoms (and she's 21 months).

I really hope her sister follows the same growth pattern so she can use all the same clothes in the right seasons. LOL

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 18th, 2012, 09:48 PM
alilangel7's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mckenzie was 8 pounds when born, so she didn't really wear many newborn clothes. Even though she was pretty big as a baby, she seemed to always be a size behind for her age. At one, she was wearing 9months and at two she was wearing 18 months. But maybe that was just me because I didn't want her moving on to the next size!

She did have a major growth spurt about 6 months ago, and skipped the whole 3T size. Now she is almost 4 and I'm thinking I need 5T now. So you never know!

The things that you buy ahead of time, try to make sure they can be worn in more than one season - possibly with layers if needed.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my beautiful siggy!

February 19th, 2012, 07:38 AM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
It's so hard to judge. Hubby and I are both super tall. So we thought Lilly would grow fast like we did. However when she was born we had to actually go buy some premie size clothing.
She was a slow grower. She is 3 now and just barely can fit into size 2t pants and those have to have adjustment sides.
Some kids are just petite, some are chunky monkies and grow way faster and then those who grow on time. I'd get a little of every size just to be safe.

We use footed pj pants all year round here. We love the AC in the summer.
Good luck to you and happy shopping!

}
February 19th, 2012, 08:29 AM
alilangel7's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also wanted to add that name brand stores - Gap, Old Navy, etc always seemed bigger. And not as popular brands - like some things I found at Macy's ran terribly small. It all depends on the brand. We love Carter's clothes and tend to stick with them because we know how they will fit.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my beautiful siggy!

February 19th, 2012, 08:49 AM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All 3 of my kids have been dead on with sizes. I have babies that weighed 6lbs-7 14. For summer I have bought mostly 0-3, some newborn and since I live in Ohio even some "warmer" 0-3 and summery 3-6 (pants and short sleeves). Ohio weather is IMPOSSIBLE to predict as are baby sizes. I suggest not going overboard on baby clothes at all (SOOOO Hard to do), especially 0-3.
February 19th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My DD was born 9lbs 3 oz and just under 23 inches. She stayed on or close to on track right up until she was about13 months then she ended up cruising through 18 mos & haven't been able to keep up since. She's currently ranging between 4-5T at 2 years 3months. She has been in the 95-100% her entire life.
February 19th, 2012, 06:51 PM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
To me each child grows at their own rates. My DS1 was born 6lbs 15oz. He is now 6, and tiny. He is in the 5th percentile for height and weight, and still mostly in 4t, some size 5 shirts. DD was 6lbs 15oz when born and she lagged behind awhile but now she is going to be 4 in April and already in size 5. She is HUGE. DS2 was 7lbs 14oz at birth. He is 20 mos now and already in 3t clothing.

So totally you can't guess ahead. I wouldn't buy too far in advance.

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

February 20th, 2012, 12:41 AM
#5 = the "Newbie"
I usually start with mostly 6/9 month clothes and my babies usually weigh 8-9 pounds a week or two early.

Barbara 38
Bill 40
Lexi 17
Jeremy 12
Dylan 9
Nathan born April 23, 2012

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search