Braxton-Hicks

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2012, 06:12 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Any BTDT moms have advice on the BH contractions? I should probably just call my doc and ask them since that's, y'know, what I pay them for, but I spent so many years being a hypochondriac that I don't want to come across that way.

Since yesterday afternoon, I'm having about 3/hour (so far I've never had more than 4/hour, which I guess is the magic number where you're supposed to call). They don't seem to be increasing in severity or getting closer together, but I am having more pelvic pressure and some cramping today, which I didn't have last night.

The contractions themselves aren't painful, they just make my whole belly feel very tight.

I'm not really worried or freaking out, per se, I just don't have a good grasp on whether this is totally normal and I just should chill out and watch TV...or if it's not normal and I should be diligently recording what time the contractions happen just in case they go above 4/hour (which is what I'm doing now).

Thoughts?
February 19th, 2012, 06:15 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I think if you drink some water and lie down on your left side for awhile (like at least an hour) and you're still getting them, then call your doctor and see what he says. Lots of times it's dehydration and activity level of the day.

Also, it's normal for this stage and your body's way of preparing itself for birth, but if you feel that uncomfortable then you should call. Always better safe than sorry, ya know?

February 19th, 2012, 06:15 PM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
My doctor says to call if I have more than 5 per hour that don't subside with rest and drinking lots of water.

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com
February 19th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Mine says call if I have more than 5 an hour, or they are at consistent intervals (ie: every 7 minutes, etc). I was having enough that she did a cervical check at my last appt and I was still closed tight.

Like Jillian said, drink some water and lie down. You can also try to take a bath or a shower. Usually, BH will go away with relaxation, but real contractions will not.

February 19th, 2012, 06:40 PM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Unfortunately I get contractions like this, although mine are timeable and like every 2-3 minutes. Sometimes they are changing my cervix, and sometimes they are not. So I have to be checked and they usually will stop them if they are coming that often. Now that I'm on meds they are down to a few day, which is awesome. I dealt w/non stop BH contractions my last pregnancy from 24 weeks until I delivered a 39.5. Talk about ANNOYING.

I'd call my doc and ask if you get 5 or more an hour even with water and laying on your left side.

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

February 19th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks guys, I feel better after hearing from you. I laid down for about 30 minutes and didn't have any BH during that time. As soon as I stood up to pee, I did get one, though. So I think the lying down/relaxing did help.

I think I'll call my doc tomorrow just for peace of mind but I don't really have the gut feeling that anything is wrong, if that makes sense.

In other news, I just got an email from the lab that my 2-hour glucose test results came back perfect. Yay, I can still eat ice cream!
February 20th, 2012, 07:21 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad you passed your glucose test.

Water always seems to help with my BH's. So make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Hope they are better today.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 20th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
when I was dehydrated from the stomach flu, I had them all day long. They didn't have me come in but drink some gatorade. They went away. I have them far more often this pregnancy than I did with DD...which is ironic since it's a waste on me who will not experience normal labor.
February 20th, 2012, 08:20 AM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
I have more frequent BH when I have to pee (like in the middle of the night!) but they will end with drinking some water and changing position. If you have more than 5 in an hour or they don't go away after a change in position and some water, call your OB!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
February 20th, 2012, 08:27 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
i just came across this on babycenter or the bump or something like that, but thought it was interesting.

Two of the most common reason for Braxton-Hicks contractions during pregnancy is dehydration or bladder infection. Both of these problems can be best handled by drinking loads and loads of water (or anything not caffeinated or alcoholic). Not-so-conveniently, once you’re drank all your water and your bladder is super-full, BH contractions will again increase.

I always knew drinking water would help, but who would ahve thought a full bladder would cause them. Although, now that i think about it, usually when i have to pee is usually when i get one. Duh! lol
February 20th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I'm on a mission to drink tons of water today! I'm starting off with my one cup of decaf coffee (my brain isn't very bright and even decaf tricks it into thinking it's waking up) and will then chug the H20.

I called my doc this morning and of course the office is closed for President's Day. I could have been patched through to the emergency line but figured I'd wait and see if I hit 5/hour before doing that. I've only had 2 in the last hour.
February 20th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would try (if you can) to chug a good size bottle of gatorade and if they don't stop almost completely then call. That did the trick for me - completely gone in 2-3 hours & I was severly dehydrated
February 20th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Well, I wound up calling and they told me to come in. At first I think they thought I was just being silly (I thought so, too!) but when they hooked me up to the monitor I had a couple of really good contractions. I've been here for a couple of hours now and had an internal exam, an IV of fluids, and now a shot of something that's supposed to relax my uterus but is sort of making me feel like I imagine a heart attack feels like (apparently this is normal).

The internal exam was normal, thank goodness, but I was so tender and it was so painful that the nurse discreetly asked me if I had a history of sexual abuse. (I don't). The doctor and nurse also gently suggested that if the exam hurt that much that I should really do an epidural. That bummed me out.

So now I'm here for at least another hour while the shot hopefully takes effect. I'm not a happy camper because I'm prone to tachycardia anyway and they weren't kidding that the shot would feel like a triple shot of espresso, but the nurse said it was better than risking irritating my cervix if the contractions didn't stop.

Fun stuff.
February 20th, 2012, 05:53 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
Oh yes, I remember the Terbutiline shot! I had it with DD since they wanted to stop my induced labor. I think it's the worst medicine in the world- I remember signing the forms for my c-section and my hand shaking so bad that I could barely hold the pen.

Don't worry about an epi if that's not what you want. Labor is very different than an exam, where you are already worried about everything anyway!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
February 20th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Well, poo. While I was at L&D, the contractions calmed down and my monitors were great. As soon as I stood up to leave, they started again. I'm so frustrated. I'm home now with orders to rest and go in for my already-scheduled ultrasound tomorrow (and make sure they measure my cervix then) and then call my doc afterwards. They're assuming the doc will want to see me later this week.

Everything seems fine with the baby but I guess I'm just frustrated that the contractions started again even after the shot. I also just missed 2 weeks of work with a respiratory infection so having to leave work early today and tomorrow and likely another time for a doctor's visit is stressful for me.

On top of everything, hubby doesn't handle stress well and he's trying to put on a brave face, but he's doing the thing where he asks if he can help and then gives off such stressful vibes that I don't want to ask him to do anything. I asked him to make me a PB&J sandwich and he had to bring the PB and jelly jars in to me because he was stressing out over how much peanut butter and jelly to put on the bread. He seemed OK when I was texting him from L&D but as soon as I got home and tried to talk to him face to face he got too stressed to talk about it.

Sigh. I'm sorry I'm whining.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search