Circumcision

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 20th, 2012, 05:57 AM
BeccaMenk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Okay, I am sure everyone has a different opinion of it but I know we are going to circumcise our baby and I just wondered for BTDT moms when they did it and how your baby reacted. It kils me to think of hurting him in anyway right after he is born! How did it go for you? Thanks!
February 20th, 2012, 06:26 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My OBGYN did it the day after he was born. It was really quick and he did cry but once it was over and we were holding him, he seemed fine. I know some hospitals will have other dr's do it and some will have your OBGYN. My OBGYN was so awesome with Jackson that we are going to have him do this baby also.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 20th, 2012, 06:44 AM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
I wonder if you could search a post I made on the same question. Alot were ok with doing it. Now a days doctors numb the area. Not sure if you have a religious person come in and do it in your home or church if they numb it though?

For us, this was a huge determining factor. We want it done for our own reasons, but I refuse to do it if 1... It wasn't numbed first. And 2.... A parent could go back with the baby during the procedure.

Shop around. They make us wait a week after baby is born here.(central California) and a pediatrician of our choice is the one who does it. You will have to call your insurance to see what they cover. Ours pays all but $150 I believe.

Good luck

}
February 20th, 2012, 07:23 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
We had Charlie circumcised. He got it done at 1 day old, from my OB in the hospital. They took him to another room and did it, and brought him back to me. I heard him cry initially, but by the time they had him back to me swaddled up, he was perfectly content.

Changing him was barely any different than it was changing DD. You had to cover his tip with guaze and petroleum jelly for about a week or two, i cant remember. But basically you only had to change that guaze when it came off with a diaper change( stuck to the diaper), not every time. You didnt want to pull it off, ect, becuase you could hurt the baby. he never acted as if it hurt, i think i may have had to pull the skin back a few times on it, per his pedi.
February 20th, 2012, 07:40 AM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL, yeahhhhh I would search the old thread It got heated last time lol!

I have 2 cut boys, and this one will not be. Both boys were not numbed and I had to go back a week later to have it done with both.
February 20th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh for crying out loud.
February 20th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MJ* View Post
Oh for crying out loud.

??? im really not sure what this is about?

i honestly would leave the old thread in the past, it did get heated and not in a constructive "here are the facts" ways, but just in people getting upset about opinions being stated.
February 20th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My boys were both done and this one will be as well. It's our preference. The pediatrician did it. My oldest fussed afterwards but I was able to sooth him. My youngest could have cared less. He was just fine. I have never hear of an OB doing it until this forum. I need to ask mine if he does it or if the ped will do it. I need to start looking for a ped soon. Since we moved my boys have been going to a family doctor I adore. But I want a ped for this baby since he will be so young.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
February 20th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What's with all the question marks?

We just had at least 2 other threads answering the exact same questions, and this topic always gets heated. And here we were all happy and bonded over all the sex talk I clicked it thinking it might be a different question but I promise to stay out of it starting right after I post this. You won't be getting any trouble from me!

Even though the other thread is old, it had good info, so its worth looking at imo. Lots of circing moms here and lots of good advice in it.
February 20th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Yea, if it was just all info, i would say go for it, but really i think it will just get bumped somehow, and the drama will continue. I having see this topic in a while, so maybe thats why i was confused, lol.

honestly all she is looking for is info on the actual circ process, not whether she should do it or not, so i dont see why it would get heated. If people are against it, that is all fine and dandy, but she wasnt looking for opinions on why not to do it, only what she can expect when she does it.

I think we are all so much closer now then we were when the original post was done, so i would hope we can all be a lot more civil about this.

The ? were becuase i was genuinely confused, lol next time ill just do this : lol
February 20th, 2012, 08:39 AM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
this is my first but I just asked the mw about it and they do it right in the hospital with an on staff pedi the day after he's born and they numb and said to just make sure you use LOTS of petroleum jelly after.

February 20th, 2012, 09:11 AM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream2bemommy22 View Post
Yea, if it was just all info, i would say go for it, but really i think it will just get bumped somehow, and the drama will continue. I having see this topic in a while, so maybe thats why i was confused, lol.

honestly all she is looking for is info on the actual circ process, not whether she should do it or not, so i dont see why it would get heated. If people are against it, that is all fine and dandy, but she wasnt looking for opinions on why not to do it, only what she can expect when she does it.

I think we are all so much closer now then we were when the original post was done, so i would hope we can all be a lot more civil about this.

The ? were becuase i was genuinely confused, lol next time ill just do this : lol

That's all the other threads were looking for too.....cir. Info. It never hurts to read info. Who cares if the lasts got heated. It does have good info in it. Just let that crap go already.....ugh.
.:fearless:. likes this.

}
February 20th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Super Mommy
;

Last edited by NotDoneBaking; July 4th, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
February 20th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had both our boys done-it was done without either of us there; which we were fine with, and no issues with side effects/bad effects etc. Like the other ladies said, just making sure we used lots of vaseline and pulled the skin back good about once a day.

February 20th, 2012, 10:14 AM
mamaleddie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:fearless:. View Post
LOL, yeahhhhh I would search the old thread It got heated last time lol!

I have 2 cut boys, and this one will not be. Both boys were not numbed and I had to go back a week later to have it done with both.
I must have missed that one, why not this time?
Both my boys are, as will this one be. They both fussed for a couple minutes and beyond that never really complained. The docs tell you how to care for it, depending on the kind you get..it's been so long they may only do one kind now, but one of my boys was snipped the other had the ring that fell off..
My OB did it, and will with AJ too..before we left the hospital..but I think that part just depends on your hopspital..and your insurance. For example, my insurance would ONLY cover it if done in the hospital..
Toni-Ann~10
Sicily Rae~7
Yasmine Joanne~5
Aaron Michael Junior~ONE!!!! Adalyn Marie-Morrison has arrived! 11/25/2013! 34 weeks..doing well!

Last edited by mamaleddie; February 20th, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
February 20th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just got home form my regular OB appointment and his assistant told me my OB will perform it. This really makes me happy. I have a lot of trust in him and would rather him than some ped I pick that I barely know.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
February 20th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We won't be doing it, but I know there are two procedures - one is the Bell procedure and one is the regular. The bell requires placing a plastic bell around the penis, which I think pulls the foreskin off (it'll just fall off after a few days). Some people think that way is less painful for baby. My friend did it for her son because her OB told her it was easier to do, but they also warned her that it had a higher complication risk. So, I'd definitely ask your OB about each type and do your research if you want to circ.

Also, you need to make sure to keep the area well lubricated (with Vaseline or something) as the leftover skin can re-adhere. That happened to Lily's friend and the pedi would just rip the skin off at his appointments (no numbing for that). His mom gives giant jars of Vaseline to every one of our friends that has a boy and is circing now.

I know where I live, the procedure is typically done in the hospital by either an OB or a pedi. Parents are expected (at least one) to be in room with baby when it occurs. You can also choose to have it done a few weeks later (my friend that did the bell circ waited 2 weeks since she had trouble nursing her first child, and the OB and pedi told her that waiting may help her establish a better nursing relationship first).

February 20th, 2012, 11:37 AM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ethan had the plastibell, and Julian had the normal procedure. They may also have you come back if the babies penis is too small at the time or if there are other complications with your baby. I would make sure he is at LEAST 24 hours old, so that he is clotting blood already.
February 20th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Circumcision is your choice We had plans to circumcise our son as soon he was born, but he ended up being born prematurely, so we didn't end up doing it. But due to a couple UTI's at a young age, we were able to get his circumcised at 8mths old, and doc wrote it off as a "medical reason", which meant we didn't have to pay for it

It was tough for about a week, because it looked really bad. But it fully healed in 2 weeks. Just make sure you clean it every diaper change and bath time...by squirting a warm water on it with a squirt bottle. Do not wipe it. Most important thing is to not let it get infected. So squirting the water cleans it.

Good luck.
February 21st, 2012, 04:46 AM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
The pediatrician came and did the procedure in the hospital. It was way more traumatic for me than it was for him. I wasn't present for the actual procedure. I was pretty heartbroken over feeling like I had altered my baby that was born perfect. However, it was the decision that we had made and we will do the same again. Really the only issue DS had was just that the Tylenol made him sleepy and it was difficult to get him to wake up to nurse. I also made DH do all the diaper changes for a few days because I hated dealing with the gauze and ointment.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search