expiration dates for car seats?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By .:fearless:.
  • 2 Post By rmarie9509

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 20th, 2012, 01:04 PM
aka shawna
so i have read something about expirations dates for car seats, but i can't find one on my daughters. she's 5 now, does that mean its ancient?

i was planning to get a new one, but use this for our second car. but how do you know if its expired or not? i see a date it was made 2006. we bought it in 2007. also, why exactly do seats expire? is it just because there will be newer versions out there that are more safety inspired. or will they crumble apart. i have a britax boulevard. if its expired, should i toss it, or give to charity. anyone know much about this?
February 20th, 2012, 01:17 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know much about expired seats but you might be able to google your car seat and see what the manufacture recommends. We bought a Britax Boulevard last year for Jackson and he's still using it, so I would think that yours would still be a good seat.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 20th, 2012, 01:24 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Plastic only works for so long. There are vidoes, however, I am in a hurry and don't have time to link them. What car seat is it? More than likely it is expired. What they have shown in tests is the plastic giving away in the back and the harness straps pulling thru the seat when in a crash. *MOST* seats are 5-6 years expiration. I stop using about 6 months before...just to be safe.
Karine119 likes this.
February 20th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The plastic is likely to break down; which reduces the ability of the seat to work like it is supposed to-and the manufacturers don't accept any liability if it malfunctions after the expiration date, I'm sure. My carseat guru friends have always told me 6 years from date of manufacture. I'm also planning on using my 5yo's seat as a back up seat for awhile, and it would "expire" in December this year. So I will probably use mine until December and then decide what to do.

February 20th, 2012, 02:45 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
carseats are to be thrown out or recycled after 6 years usually. The plastic becomes brittle and does not hold up in a crash. They should also be retired even earlier if they were exposed to big temperature changes such as being stored in a garage, attic, or shed as this speeds the breakdown process. And if a carseat is ever in an accident it is supposed to be replaced immediately as they are only designed to absorb that kind of impact once. It's not like a law, but those are the guidelines from manufactures and safety commissions.

if you can hurry and get to a babiesrus today it's the last day of the trade in event, you bring in your old seat for recycling and you get a %25 discount on a new one.

The Great Trade-In Event, Be Safe & Save - Babies"R"Us
Karine119 and Jennmarie like this.

February 20th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know infant carseats have a 5yr expiry date. As for the front facing carseats, i'm not sure. I think even if there was, i know most people still use them anyways I don't know why there would be expiry dates. I can understand though if it was involved in an accident that you can't use it again.
February 20th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Most charities won't accept used carseats anymore since 1) they may be expired and 2) they could have been in an accident, which could damage the seat.

You should cut the straps when a seat has expired and trash it (cut straps so no one else picks it up to use, since it's not considered safe).

Most Britax seats expire after 6 years from manufacture date. The manual (if you still have it) should have a specific date, or the bottom of the seat.

February 20th, 2012, 04:49 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:fearless:. View Post
Plastic only works for so long. There are vidoes, however, I am in a hurry and don't have time to link them. What car seat is it? More than likely it is expired. What they have shown in tests is the plastic giving away in the back and the harness straps pulling thru the seat when in a crash. *MOST* seats are 5-6 years expiration. I stop using about 6 months before...just to be safe.
I thought they were 7 years? I have a chicco infant seat from DD, she will be 4 when this seat comes along, and the seat was bought in Feb, and has a Feb production date. I only plan on using it for the first year ( i didnt even get a full year out of it with Charlie) so i should be fine either way, i just always thought i remember it being longer.
February 20th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream2bemommy22 View Post
I thought they were 7 years? I have a chicco infant seat from DD, she will be 4 when this seat comes along, and the seat was bought in Feb, and has a Feb production date. I only plan on using it for the first year ( i didnt even get a full year out of it with Charlie) so i should be fine either way, i just always thought i remember it being longer.
I'm pretty sure Chicco is 6 years - we have one from Lily (made and purchased in 2008) and I'm using it for this baby. I think it has a sticker on the bottom that says the expiration date.

Some seats (like the new Radians) have 10 year limits. It does vary by seat, but like Amanda said, in general it's a 5-6 year limit.

ETA: here's a link to the Chicco manual, on pages 10/11 of the manual it says "Do not use if seat is over 6 years old". Yours should still be fine for the rest of this year if it was made in 2007

Last edited by Twhylite21; February 20th, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
February 20th, 2012, 06:29 PM
All seats have different dates. You have to check with the manufacturer to see what your seat is. My chicco I just bought was made Nov 11 and expires in Nov 2017. Radians have an 8 year, graco is typically 5 or 6.

wait no, I think radian is 10. Regardless, each company is different and there isn't a "rule of thumb" is it an evenflo seat? Does it have dials stamped onto the seat anywhere? I would say if you bought it 5 years ago, more than likely you need a new one.
February 20th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My MIL has tried to buy me used carseats from friends with the last two pregnancies. I am very anal about carseats. I don't want a used one I know nothing about.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
February 20th, 2012, 06:43 PM
JennLynn_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here's a chart I came across:

Consumer Information Notice - Children's car seats and booster cushions: How long are they safe? *UPDATE* - Transport Canada

http://JenniferDow.SBC90.com
February 20th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Lisa H's Avatar Super Mommy
Canadian and American guidelines and laws are different but the manufacturers guidelines should be similar. Canadians void their insurance and may even be charged/fined if we use a carseat manufactured in the States.

I just recently bought a used Graco carseat froma friend as a backup seat for my husband's car. It still has one year left before it expires and I trust this friend. I certainly wouldn't buy used from a stranger just because you don't really know if it has been in an accident or not.

Carseats expire for the same reason that you aren't supposed to leave plastic water bottles in the car: the temperature changes break down the plastic. The more brittle the plastic becomes, the less safe it becomes in an accident. If the seat has been in an accident, the straps may be compromised in the same way seatbelts are when they are in an accident. Yes, seatbelts should be replaced after accidents too.

If your carseat is past it's recommended usage date, it is still ok to use it but the longer you wait to replace it the less protected your baby will be in it.
February 21st, 2012, 12:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just bought a Radian, and I think it is 10 years because it's a steal frame. I think Britax's have steal frames too, so they may last longer as well. If you have the money, I would get a new one.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

February 21st, 2012, 01:26 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Now that you say there is a sticker on the bottom, i totally remember seeing it. its been so long since i paid attention to the infant seat. lol

I remember buying these things thinking i had SO much time before i had to worry about it, and now its approaching faster than id like, lol
February 21st, 2012, 05:16 PM
Radians are 8 for the harness use, 10 for booster.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search