Summer babies

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2012, 05:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had my DD right at the begining of Winter so having a baby this young in the summer is new on me. What are some summer baby tips you've heard or BTDT mommas have.

Brainstorming..
When is it safe to bring a baby in water? Probably not this summer at all, right?

Constant shade or heavy on the SPF? I would think constant shade but not sure.

Hat's on newborns? How often should they be wearing hats in the summer?

Dressing baby for summer? Should they still be pretty bundled? Probably not, right?

What else?
February 21st, 2012, 05:31 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
I had Mackenzie at the beginning of April, so she was still a young baby in summer:

Water is fine, i know lots of babies that are in swimming lessons as newborns, starting around 1 month old kind of thing. I would be most weary of the temp of the water. mackenzie was super skinny, even at 1 year old, and had a hard time regulating her body temp in water. ( except the bath obviously becuase it was warm) but even indoor swim parks that were "heated" her lips would turn purple and we couldnt take her in, even though she wanted to be in, lol

No sunscreen until after 6 months, your pedi will most likely remind you of this anyways.

Hats are always a good thing, try and find a cotton bonnet ( i had one from babies r us for Mackenzie, it had air flow through the back so she wouldnt get too hot. But i would normally cover her legs with a light blanket ( recieving blanket) if we were going somewhere like the zoo or something and she would be exposed.

Light clothing, im pretty sure Olivia is going to live in Onsies this summer, hot humid florida will not be fun. You can maybe pick up a few cotton summer dresses, like the ones carters makes, i have those too.

Last edited by dream2bemommy22; February 21st, 2012 at 05:34 AM.
February 21st, 2012, 05:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Haha good catch about the sunscreen! Kendall was 7-8 months in the summer. Didn't even think of that!
February 21st, 2012, 07:33 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah pretty much what you said. Water is okay, but yeah temp matters, just take it on a case by case thing.

I would actually get people telling me to bundle my baby up... when it was 90 degrees and my kid was sweating while wearing just a onesie. I kept a light blanket with me to cover her to keep the sun off her, but she was always hot! She never wore socks until winter. Never even wore sleepers at night because she slept with me and we were too hot anyways!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 21st, 2012, 07:43 AM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
swimming is fine, Im thinking about having a swim class with Liam I love waterbabies classes its so good for them.

no sunscreen, hanging out in the shade is good, wearing white long sleeve onesies are light and airy but keep the sun off, muslin blankets are also light and breathable good to drape over the carrier or stroller, they make uv cloth too so you can buy some clothes, blankets, and even moby wraps that are "sun-proof" As for hats soft wide brim hats are essential, iplay makes the best in my opinion

in summer another thing to keep in mind is the temperature at night. To reduce sids you want to keep babies room at about 70 degrees and you want to keep air circulating so you want to have an air conditioner or fan.

make sure you keep babies hydrated, they might seem like they want to eat more often but it's okay they need the extra fluid if you are breastfeeding they actually eat short meals when they are just thirsty as that brings down only lighter more water based milk with less calories so they aren't at risk of overeating. For formula babies you should ask your pedi how to make sure they are hydrated without overeating.

thats all I can think of for now
JsBaby likes this.

February 21st, 2012, 07:52 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had Jackson in July. We didn't get him in the pool until the summer after he was born. I don't think it would be a problem if you wanted to take baby swimming, I would just make sure water not too cold.

I tried to put hats on Jackson but he never would wear them, he hated them. I just kept him in light clothing, mostly onsies.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 21st, 2012, 08:14 AM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What about infant sunglasses? I'm assuming they're not necessary at first since baby will be rear-facing in the car and will have a brimmed hat if outside...reasonable or poor assumption?
February 21st, 2012, 09:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Lily was born in August amid temps over 100 degrees.

When is it safe to bring a baby in water? Probably not this summer at all, right? I didn't take Lily in the water until she was a bit older, but you can take newborns in the pool. Just make sure the water isn't super cold

Constant shade or heavy on the SPF? I would think constant shade but not sure. Shade is best. The recommendations on SPF have changed slightly - most pedis now say that SPF before 6 months is okay and is better than exposing child to the sun if there is no shade.

Hat's on newborns? How often should they be wearing hats in the summer? Lily wore sun hats as a newborn (so did Vi, but she was born in spring).

Dressing baby for summer? Should they still be pretty bundled? Probably not, right? The rule of thumb that people used to follow is that baby should have on one more layer than you do. But studies have shown that while babies to have issues regulating body temp more than us, they don't need to be that bundled either. With Lily, I mainly had her in dresses. This baby is a boy, and I mainly have rompers and shirt/short/pant outfits for him.

February 21st, 2012, 09:12 AM
Veteran
Is it wrong that i was thinking about just keeping the baby in a diaper for the most part of the summer?

February 21st, 2012, 09:14 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliciafj1 View Post
Is it wrong that i was thinking about just keeping the baby in a diaper for the most part of the summer?
If it is really hot and you're not out in the sun then I don't see why not. You'll know when to adjust what they're wearing just based on how they feel, how warm it is, etc. I held or wore Kate all the time so I didn't worry about body temp regulating, since she used my body for heat.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 21st, 2012, 10:14 AM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
Jake was born June 10. So here is my experience:

When is it safe to bring a baby in water? Probably not this summer at all, right? I took Jake in the water, but he didn't really like it much. The pool I took him in was my in-laws and they don't use chlorine. They have a different system, so I wasn't concerned about chemicals etc and knew the water was clean.

Constant shade or heavy on the SPF? I would think constant shade but not sure. Constant shade. Asked the pedi about this. You can apply sunscreen, but it isn't enough to actually protect them enough. That is why sunscreen always says for babies over 6 months.

Hat's on newborns? How often should they be wearing hats in the summer? They don't really need a hat after they leave the hospital. They are able to regulate their temp. You can use a brimmed hat for protection from the sun though.

Dressing baby for summer? Should they still be pretty bundled? Probably not, right? Jake was usually in a onesie or just a diaper. One layer more than your comfort. I would have liked to be naked that summer!

What else? Jake got heat rash a lot because he was a cuddle bug. It didn't bother him and the doc said it was nothing to worry about. So really, I just had to work to keep him cool. It was a hot summer and we had the hardest time cooling the living room.

Also, if you are planning on nursing, it makes it a little harder to be discreet in public since you won't have as many layers of your own clothing. It made it very hard for me to be able to get out as much as I would have liked because I always just thought about both of us sweating like crazy while I was trying to stay covered. I'm trying to figure out some ways around that this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynBB View Post
What about infant sunglasses? I'm assuming they're not necessary at first since baby will be rear-facing in the car and will have a brimmed hat if outside...reasonable or poor assumption?
I have read that if baby tolerates sunglasses they are always a good idea because it protects their vision for the long-term.

February 21st, 2012, 10:19 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarie9509 View Post
swimming is fine, Im thinking about having a swim class with Liam I love waterbabies classes its so good for them.

no sunscreen, hanging out in the shade is good, wearing white long sleeve onesies are light and airy but keep the sun off, muslin blankets are also light and breathable good to drape over the carrier or stroller, they make uv cloth too so you can buy some clothes, blankets, and even moby wraps that are "sun-proof" As for hats soft wide brim hats are essential, iplay makes the best in my opinion

in summer another thing to keep in mind is the temperature at night. To reduce sids you want to keep babies room at about 70 degrees and you want to keep air circulating so you want to have an air conditioner or fan.

make sure you keep babies hydrated, they might seem like they want to eat more often but it's okay they need the extra fluid if you are breastfeeding they actually eat short meals when they are just thirsty as that brings down only lighter more water based milk with less calories so they aren't at risk of overeating. For formula babies you should ask your pedi how to make sure they are hydrated without overeating.

thats all I can think of for now
Good advice.
rmarie9509 likes this.

February 21st, 2012, 10:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh, and one more thing - DO NOT give plain water to a newborn! Babies can get water poisoning very easily. On both Lily and Vi's PRs there were some women who were told to give water to their newborns/young infants by older generations, which you should not do. Babies get plenty of hydration from breastmilk and/or formula.

February 21st, 2012, 10:40 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ds1 was born end of August, (which is still like mid-summer for us down here in Ga, we usually go through nearly october with swimming weather! lol) and Ds2 was born June 4th--all the basics have already been covered though; so I won't go back over them. Neither of my boys would tolerate sunglasses, so we used hats and shade if we had them outside. I think the biggest thing is to remember that infants can't really regulate their own temps yet; so just making sure they aren't overheated is the biggest thing.

I know we didn't take ds2 to the lake/ocean or anything like that as a newborn; but I wouldn't have any problem with dipping him in the pool if the water was at a pretty comfy temperature--maybe like at sunset when the sun isn't harsh anymore too. Constant shade is a lot easier on everyone than trying to constantly reapply sunscreen.

Just like with winter babies though; you'll figure out what works for you. I took a recieving blanket everywhere with ds2, because I'd dress him lightly for the weather; but indoors and in stores/doc offices, it was always fairly cool. So having the blanket helped-keep it on him while we were inside, then use it as an instant shade/cover when we headed back out into the heat.

this topic has me SO excited for some WARM SPRING WEATHER!!!! I hate being cold/winter weather. Lol!

February 21st, 2012, 11:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ditto everybodies reply.
As for blankets, check out the aiden and anias muslim receiving blankets at target...or maybe sew your own. Muslim is awsome for summer babies because its breaths extremely well and it absorbes. So you can swaddle a baby and not worry over heatrash. Later it'll work great for laying over baby to keep sunburn away, and it'll absorb any sweat or slit up or drool.
rmarie9509 likes this.
February 21st, 2012, 11:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynBB View Post
While babies universally hate the sun in their face, I have never met a baby who would leave sunglasses on. You can try.... but mine hated them! Id drape something just to get some shade but not restrict air flow.
February 21st, 2012, 12:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
Oh, and one more thing - DO NOT give plain water to a newborn! Babies can get water poisoning very easily. On both Lily and Vi's PRs there were some women who were told to give water to their newborns/young infants by older generations, which you should not do. Babies get plenty of hydration from breastmilk and/or formula.
Our old pedi told me to give Austin water to keep him hydrated in the summer. I mean, not a lot, but maybe a few sips on a bottle if we were out in hot weather. He was a February baby, so he was almost six months in July/August - the hottest parts of the summer here.

I really liked Aden and Anais swaddle blankets for warm weather. They were good for everything and light - not like flannel or fleece.

It really all depends on your climate, too. I'm not sure how our summer will be. Sometimes it doesn't get over 90 at all, and sometimes we have a few weeks where it's 90-100+.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
February 21st, 2012, 12:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, summers here are brutal! Easily 90-100+ most days with high humidity.
February 21st, 2012, 01:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleAmommy View Post
Our old pedi told me to give Austin water to keep him hydrated in the summer. I mean, not a lot, but maybe a few sips on a bottle if we were out in hot weather. He was a February baby, so he was almost six months in July/August - the hottest parts of the summer here.
Over 6 months is typically fine for a few sips. It's usually before 4 months that water intoxication occurs. Water Intoxication in Infants - St. Louis Children's Hospital - here's a good article about it and how too much water can disrupt sodium levels in some infants. Usually, once they start solids, then they can have some water.

Oh, and I love the Aden + Anais muslin blankets as well! I prefer the traditional ones versus their Target brand as they're slightly bigger and feel softer to me, but both are really good at keeping the baby nice and cool.

February 21st, 2012, 01:47 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the tips on the muslin blankets! Just added a 4-pack to our baby registry.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search