More boy advice

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By *Jillian*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2012, 08:51 AM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
So maybe those of you that have had boys can give a little more advice.

I've heard diaper time with baby boys is completely different than little girls, more than the obvious reasons. I've heard stories of being sprayed as well as huge nasty diaper blow outs and having to point the pee pee down inside the diaper??

What are some good diapering tips to help us first timers with boys out. I'd like to try to avoid alot of this stuff. Lol. IF possible.

}
February 21st, 2012, 08:56 AM
Super Mommy
Blow outs are diaper dependent. Just cover his pee pee with the old diaper until the new diaper goes on and lay his pee pee flat down, cover and tab. I only got sprayed like twice with my son. Well once he sprayed himself. That's it. For me it would be girls that freak me out...wiping the poop from their crotch and being paranoid that some got in. Ahhh. That scares me.
February 21st, 2012, 09:00 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think changing boys are much different than girls. I always layed a wipe over his penis so if he did pee, I wouldn't get sprayed. We never had any diaper blow outs. I think that mainly depends on the type of diaper. I just layed his penis pointing down and put the diaper on, no problems.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 21st, 2012, 10:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
DH was trying to tell me the other day that you should point the penis up in the diaper - I told him that he could have fun getting sprayed then

February 21st, 2012, 10:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Blow outs really are diaper and baby-body dependent. You need to find the diaper that best fits your baby. Chase had a narrow waist, hardly any butt, and skinny legs, so he had a lot of blow outs through the leg holes and back of the waist. I discovered that Pampers Swaddlers fit him best in the waist and leg area and that helped minimize blow outs.

And as for getting "sprinkled." It only happened a few times to me and he got the wall by the changing table a few times. I learned to change him really fast lol and use something to kind of cover the area. I used whatever was around me. You kind of just figure it out!

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
February 21st, 2012, 10:25 AM
Mamma J's Avatar Proud Navy Wife & SAHM
I agree with the other ladies, blowouts are not just for boys! As for getting sprayed, it happens less and less as time goes on....after Aidan was 3 months old, he stopped peeing whenever we took off the diaper. Until then I just made sure to cover him up with a wipe or cloth, and had the clean diaper already open underneath him to make the change go quickly. And like everyone has been saying, make sure to point the pee-pee down, otherwise he'll soak himself!

February 21st, 2012, 10:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You know, am I the only mom of boys getting pretty irritated at other mom of boys scaring all these moms of girls with stories of awful boys and all their pee, poop, craziness?? They don't have any more blowouts then a girl would have, and the peeing thing is noooo big deal. Like at all. So don't worry!

And I am not trying to be harsh to you at all, everyone else already gave good advice and those are great questions if you keep hearing/reading about this sort of thing.

But seriously, I think moms of boys are just screwing around with you moms of girls. The penis will point down anyways once their baby boner goes down, and you can't point it anywhere with a baby boner, so really it's not like there is any extra work involved. You get peed on once, then just drape a wipe on it when you change him. They don't do that forever. Boys are really great and easy, I swear!
February 21st, 2012, 10:53 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I agree with MJ. It's really easy. You can wipe in all different directions with no worry of the whole "front to back" and you don't have to worry about getting pee'd on. I think I learned how NOT to get peed on before I left the hospital with Grady. So easy. And I would forget to point his penis down sometimes, but I put his diapers kinda tight so they wouldn't leak...so no issue there.

I have no clue why people are trying to scare some of you about having a boy. I'd do it all over again in a second! Yes, I am happy to be having a daughter, but having a boy is wonderful too. And my boy is a pleasure. Seriously.

February 21st, 2012, 11:05 AM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
Jake had a lot of blow outs and lots of peeing out of the diaper. And no MJ, I'm not just trying to give her a hard time. I also think it is perfectly fine to say that boys and girls are different! Every kid is different. We are here to share experiences

I don't think that blow outs happen more for boys. I didn't have any trouble with getting sprayed during diaper changes. However, I got peed on more than I could count during the first couple weeks, especially. It was always pee escaping the diaper. At Jake's first doctor's appointment, he peed all over me because after the doctor checked his circ, he didn't do a good job reclosing the diaper and I didn't think to check it.

Best advice I can give is, yes, point his little penis down and try a few different types of diapers. I think the best diaper fit varies by baby. So try a few brands and figure out what works out best for your little guy.

February 21st, 2012, 11:12 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
If you use disposables, then when you are all done getting the diaper on, put your finger inside the leg of the diaper to pull out the "ruffle" part. Don't know what else to call it. It's the part that holds stuff if there happens to be more to hold. Sometimes DH would forget and it would be laying flat to his legs...more likely for blowouts to happen that way.

Just a tip.
Jennmarie and Lisa H like this.

February 21st, 2012, 11:28 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
i never thought having a boy was any differnt than having a girl, other than having to point his weenie down. Wiping him is and was easier. I only "almost" got peed on once, but he ended up peeing on himself instead, lol. And the time i did get peed on, was when he was in a diaper and tshirt, and his weenie was pointed up, and it sprayed right out the top of his diaper.

Mackenzie actually had more poop blowouts then DD, but i think that could have been becuase DD was formula fed, and DS was breastfed. DS had less poop diapers in general becuase of this.

You eventually learn to take off the dirty diaper right away and stick a clean one under him before you start wiping, so you have the diaper ready to cover his weenie back up. lol

Like anything else, you get into a groove. After a few months the burst of cold air doesnt affect their urge to pee during diaper changes anyways.
February 21st, 2012, 11:49 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have a girl yet to compare to, but what I can tell is that the biggest thing is learning your baby. Ds1 sprayed/sprinkled everytime we opened a diaper. After a few times; we learned to have a washcloth/wipe/diaper/something ready before we changed him. Pointing it down definately helps prevent leaks; especially when they are sleeping. But every child is def. shaped different, so experimenting with a couple of different brands of diapers if you are having a problem with blowouts could be helpful. I didn't find diapering the boys too hard/scary; just had to learn what worked for each of them. (Caring for the circ was probably the "scariest" part, and even that wasn't awful .)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search