Did you eat during labor?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 24th, 2012, 06:04 AM
LindseyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LindseyB
I ate before I went in because knew I'd be on clear liquids when I got there. I was a very symptomatic patient during transition meaning I had the shakes, puking, "I cant do this", etc so I regretted that chicken basket then. Lol

Iused to tell my patients they couldn't eat but now I just tell them to eat but don't tell me. If I know, then I'm the one who will get reamed if God forbid they need an emergency c/s. I don't like being the bad guy and people assume nurses make the rules about eating, fetal monitoring, etc.

Next time i will probably eat again before I go in. I can't imagine being starving and in pain. Lol

[

FOLLOW ME @ http://www.sweetnsourmom.blogspot.com
February 24th, 2012, 06:39 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I was induced with DS. We stopped and had a big dinner on the way to the hospital (I had to be there at 6pm). I also snuck in snacks with me- like cheese and crackers, rasinets, and other little things. Which I'm glad I did, because after 36 hours of labor, only being allowed popsicles- I would not have had the strength to push!

February 24th, 2012, 06:43 AM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I ate pizza for lunch while in early active labor. went to the hospital and had him by dinner time lol it worked out perfect. I did shake and feel nauseous some, but I didn't end up puking. I am really hoping I don't puke this time either *fingers crossed* I do noooot like getting sick.

February 24th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Lisa H's Avatar Super Mommy
Here, they encourage you to bring snacks along and eat meals while in labour.
February 24th, 2012, 07:01 AM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa H View Post
Here, they encourage you to bring snacks along and eat meals while in labour.
that's awesome! I'm pretty sure ice chips is all I can hope for.

February 24th, 2012, 07:25 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was induced with Jackson so I couldn't eat anything after midnight. I never got hungry during labor. The pain was too bad so I didn't notice being hungry. I did get very thirsty and all they would give me was ice chips but I kept throwing up so if I would have drunk anything, it would have come right back up anyway.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 24th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With ellas labor, I was induced and it took 2:5 days with no breaks or food! I was soooo sick from no food and all the meds and exhaustion, and then it was 2am and nobody brought me food. So, when I was induced with wyatt, I brought peanutbutter crackers in my bag and would eat them when the nurse left the room. It really helped settle my stomach. I did the same with caroline, and even tho it did end with cs (having nothing to do with induction and everthing to do with scarring from previouus surgery), I never felt sick. This time tho, since its a scheduled cs, I won't bother, but when I'm feeling better after surgery, I sure will. I don't handle medications well on an empty stomach.

If you do eat, I don't suggest heavy fried foods, or spicey foods. Those will make you feel sicker. Stick with the startchy stuff.
February 24th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I could not ask for more.
I was induced. So on the way to the hospital we went to Houston's I had a steak dinner with a baked potato. Yum. Then went into the hospital Thursday at 8pm. I did not eat anything until Saturday at 8am... Lol. I wasnt even hungry though bc I was on IV the whole time.

February 24th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
With Lily, I went into labor in the middle of the night and I'd had a big pasta dinner, so I never wanted to eat. And I delivered after about 6.5 hours of labor, so I was fine.

With Violet, I went into labor around 5am and ate some toast right away. Then, I remember I was getting tired during pushing phase (took 3 hours) and one of my MW kept trying to get me to eat some banana and crackers and I wanted to shove it in her face

I'll probably snack on something before going to the hospital with this one

February 24th, 2012, 08:47 AM
therightgirl08's Avatar Super Mommy
I had nothing but ice chips for 2 days. I felt fine though. I think the IV and the ice chips made my belly feel full. I might sneak a couple small snacks in this time just in case.

February 24th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Karine119's Avatar SAHM of 3 Drama Queens!
Send a message via AIM to Karine119 Send a message via MSN to Karine119 Send a message via Yahoo to Karine119
With my oldest I got called in for NST earlier than I was scheduled so I had a feeling he was going to induce me due to my OBs comments a few days before so I stopped and had a huge breakfast at IHop. With my second I ate in the morning like usual because I was only supposed to be heading in for pre-op and NST. With my last I ate like normal all day because I didn't believe I was in actual labor being it was the first time I did it on my own. This time around I might eat if I believe labor is starting, but I will eat light because while I am trying for a VBAC I know I have a lot stacked against me and might again show signs of rupture and need to go with a repeat c-section.

February 24th, 2012, 09:10 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I didn't eat after 10 or midnight the night before my induction. I had ice during labor, but I wasn't very hungry at all. Once I had DS I was starving so that first meal was fabulous!!!

February 24th, 2012, 09:13 AM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
Aren't you worried about pooping if you eat? Lol

With Lilly I was scheduled to be induced the next morning so we ate pizza with my MIL the night before. Then I mentioned that my panties were "wetter" than normal today and changed them mid day. She suggested we go get checked to see if my fluid was leaking. Well , it was. Lol so they went ahead and induced me then and there instead.
Never got sick but had a horrible epi experience.

Not sure what I'll do this next time.

}
February 24th, 2012, 09:57 AM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
OMG I wish! I ate a granola bar in the car on the way because it was left in my lunch bag and I knew they wouldn't let me eat once I got there. (my water broke at work). They did let me have these little cups of italian ice, and I think I ate about 10 of them. I was in labor for 24hours and hadn't eaten a meal since lunch at work at noon, so about 28 hours. I was STARVING!!!

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com
February 24th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I also only had ice chips for 2 days and this is the worst memory of my labor. I was so hungry, but the thirst was THE WORST! And I still ended up throwing up (pretty much dry-heaving and some stomach bile...gross) right before pushing. I did not have a good experience with that hospital. When it was time to push I was SO tired an exhausted and I was just so out of it when DS came out that I didn't really enjoy him right away and I hate that

This time during the tour they reassured me that I could be on a liquid diet (jello, water, soup, etc) while I was there until right before pushing and unless things change and it looks like I need an emergency c-section. I am so relieved. And even if I was delivering in that old hospital I would sneak light food and drink anyways. I didn't even need a c-section last time so it wouldn't have done anything if I had had some water and jello and it would have made me feel so much better!

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!

Last edited by Beachbabies; February 24th, 2012 at 10:27 AM.
February 24th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I ate before we got to the hospital with DS1 b/c my water broke at home and I knew I was gonna be stuck there. With DS2, I ate lightly at home, and made DH sneak me food in between the nurses visits. But really, all I wanted was a couple of crackers and stuff like altoids/tic tacs. I had the IV and all by that point, and could have ice chips. So that satisfied me. But I started early in the morning with both boys, so I had a morning snack, and delivered by 7pm with both of them; so I had enough time for DH/my family to go buy us some supper. We had pizza with Ds1 and subway for Ds2.

February 24th, 2012, 01:13 PM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went in around 7 so I had eaten a light dinner before that and I think that's what kept me from being starving. During labor (15 hours) I had one popsicle only but they let me drink as much water as I wanted.
February 24th, 2012, 02:04 PM
LindseyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LindseyB
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydiva76 View Post
Aren't you worried about pooping if you eat? Lol

With Lilly I was scheduled to be induced the next morning so we ate pizza with my MIL the night before. Then I mentioned that my panties were "wetter" than normal today and changed them mid day. She suggested we go get checked to see if my fluid was leaking. Well , it was. Lol so they went ahead and induced me then and there instead.
Never got sick but had a horrible epi experience.

Not sure what I'll do this next time.

The majority of my patients poop during the first few pushes or before when the head is coming down (if they have an epidural) so no, i'm not that worried about that. LOL we never tell the patient so most assume they didn't

[

FOLLOW ME @ http://www.sweetnsourmom.blogspot.com
February 24th, 2012, 03:25 PM
StephL's Avatar Veteran
I had extra spicy chilli for dinner before going into labour with DD. Not a recommended meal
February 24th, 2012, 04:11 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Another reason I love my hospital.... I was induced with Devin and after I was admitted and the induction started they shoved a food menu at me and instructed me to eat food. So DH and I shared a hospital meal.

With Kate I don't even remember. I was at home the whole time, and heavy labor was overnight so it might not have occurred to me. Or I might have snacked. Don't recall. lol

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search