Maternity Leave

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By imdawn

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2012, 10:04 AM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
Working moms: When are you going to take off? How long before you have to go back to work after the baby is born? Will you be paid?

Barring any unforeseen complications, I am going to try to take off a couple weeks before the last day of school, which will also be a little more than 2 weeks before my due date. I really don't want to go into labor at school or when I will have to call for sub! It would be much easier just to plan ahead a date to be gone and have all the arrangements made. Plus, I have some sick days that I can afford to use for that.

We don't get any paid maternity leave, hence the careful planning of my due date. I'm really glad I hit my window! I also have a disability insurance policy that I think will pay about $1500 even though I'm not actually missing work.

I will be looking at going back to school early to mid-August. So I will at least have a full 2 months before I have to go back to work.

February 25th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Veteran
My due date is may 1st, I plan on starting my leave the 30th of April. I will get 6 weeks off with out any kind of pay.

February 25th, 2012, 01:17 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My original plan was to start maternity leave on April 16 for my May 13 due date.

My employer has a patchwork of options available, adding together the Family Medical Leave Act and Short Term Disability and Pregnancy Disability along with a couple others I forget off hand. Most of the time off is partial-paid up to a percentage of my salary and can be supplemented with vacation and sick days.

Now, that all said, I have no idea what's going to happen now that I'm on bedrest unexpectedly 6 weeks before I was to go on leave. I'll have to call our HR department on Monday and figure that out.
February 25th, 2012, 01:27 PM
LindseyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LindseyB
I'm going to continue to tough out these 12 hour shifts until go into labor I guess. Lol. I am going to use all my pdo's because we never use them. I can request up to 10 days off on any 6 week schedule so I never need pdo's. Then I'm going to take off without paytherest of the time. 10-12 weeks

[

FOLLOW ME @ http://www.sweetnsourmom.blogspot.com
February 25th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My c Section is scheduled for May 7th. My last day will be May 4th. I will take 12 weeks. 8 Weeks paid the other 4 are covered by my vacation. I may end up needing to take 1 or 2 weeks unpaid.
February 25th, 2012, 02:15 PM
therightgirl08's Avatar Super Mommy
I get up to 12 weeks off. The first 6 are paid by short term diasability and the remaining 6 weeks I will just use my PTO that I have been saving.

February 25th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Pautzie's Avatar Veteran
I dont' get any paid time off for maternity leave, but I plan to take the standard 6 weeks. Lucky me that I will have to work for 2 weeks and then be on summer break for another 4 weeks. I will have about 10 days of sick time by then - with having 4 kids all 6 and under I tend to use my sick time for them.

February 25th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Super Mommy
l

Last edited by NotDoneBaking; July 4th, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
February 25th, 2012, 03:13 PM
StephL's Avatar Veteran
When are you going to take off? I am due May 7, planning on leaving work April 28

How long before you have to go back to work after the baby is born? My position will be held for 1 year, we will just play it by ear after that. With DD I didn't go back until she was 2, but she was definitely ready to be in daycare and away from mommy by 18 months.

Will you be paid? The first 6 weeks will be 100% pay, the remaining 46 weeks I will received 55% of my salary.
February 25th, 2012, 04:22 PM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
I will be working right up until I got into labor, unless otherwise instructed by the doctor for any reason. I want my whole leave to be WITH the baby. With Kaiya my water broke AT WORK, so that was my last day LOL. I will be taking an extended leave this time, 6 months!! I will be paid for a few weeks of it, maybe 6 or so. I only get paid whatever I have built up in my PTO and Short Term Disability banks.

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com
February 25th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Koti's Avatar Nugget's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Koti Send a message via Yahoo to Koti
With my son, I worked until 2 days before I was induced. I called in one day and was induced the next. I was pretty uncomfortable and my job has a lot of walking, lifting, pulling, pushing, and is just mostly physical.

I intend to work as long as I can, then take anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks off. I have sick time and paid time off that right now total about 150 hours and it will continue to grow while I work but I also have Aflac.
February 25th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Lisa H's Avatar Super Mommy
I hope to work as long as I can but I will probably quit working about 2 weeks before my due date. Unfortunately that leaves about 2 months of school so they are going to have to do some short-term hiring to fill my position. If I don't go to school, neither does my student.

I live in Canada so I'm entitled to 1 year maternity leave at about 55% of my current pay. After that I plan on being a SAHM so I'm going to have to find some sort of work that I can do from home.
February 25th, 2012, 08:24 PM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When are you going to take off? I'm not due until May 30 which is a Wed. so I'm planning on working until the Friday before.
How long before you have to go back to work after the baby is born? Well I can take up to 6 months but I will probably only be able to take 12 weeks because of finances
Will you be paid?

I'llhave a few weeks of vacation saved up and then I'll get a few weeks of 50% pay so it's not much.

[IMG][/IMG]

February 26th, 2012, 04:42 AM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm envious of you Canadian mommies Every time I read about Canada and European maternity policies, it drives me crazy! Other countries (governments) seem to have so much more respect for the important work of being a parent.
Jayden's Mama likes this.

February 26th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Sunshine0918's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan to work up until the day I have him unless otherwise instructed by a doctor.

I will be off for 12 weeks.

Because I am a salaried employee, between my short term disability insurance and my job, I will receive 100% of my pay for all 12 weeks. I love my company.

April 2014

My chart: My Ovulation Chart
February 26th, 2012, 05:51 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will work right up until he is born. I will probably take 6 weeks off but then I will take him to work with me for a few weeks before he goes to daycare. I'm self employed and I work with my dad and my brother so they will continue to pay me part of the profits while I am out.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 27th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Dóchas's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Dóchas
When are you going to take off? I've been off work since week 21 due to back pain.

How long before you have to go back to work after the baby is born? In Ireland we get 6 months maternity leave so I'm not due back to work till November 14th, I can then take 16 weeks unpaid off after that if I want.

Will you be paid? I get paid 2/3 of my wages while I'm off. and unpaid if I take the extra 16 weeks off

[SIZE="3"]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search