Eye Ointment after Birth?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2012, 08:13 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I noticed that some of you were not giving baby eye ointment after birth and I was just wondering what was the reasoning for that. I know that we won't be giving the Hep B vaccine but I had planned on giving the eye ointment and the Vitamin K shot. Are there also reason why you ladies are not giving the Vitamin K shot?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 27th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Dóchas's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Dóchas
I saw that as well and was wondering why?

[SIZE="3"]

February 27th, 2012, 12:19 PM
aka shawna
also wondering why. they didn't do that in england.. but i noticed its common here. what is it?
February 27th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Super Mommy
I can't remember if I gave Thano the vit. K shot. I have to find out. But I won't be giving this baby the ointment either. Because I just don't believe babies should have anything applied or injected at birth or soon after. There's not enough data present that denies any harmful side effects. So I'd rather not take chances. There are alternatives for breastfeeding mother to supplement with vit. K therefore giving her infant the necessary amounts or supplementing the infant with vit. k gradually at low doses. The ointment isn't necessary unless the women has or may have a bacterial infection or std and I don't want to give my child antibiotics.
February 27th, 2012, 12:51 PM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
I think it's pointless if you know you have no stds. It's not like your baby will be sexually active and get stds so why goop up their eyes. I delayed it last time so we could enjoy bonding. Now that I know our state will allow us to totally deny it, its not going on this baby. I'd rather get all of the eye contact I can too.

Check your state's status though. I have heard some states will actually call child protection services on you for denying it.

}
February 27th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The eye ointment is mainly to reduce the chances of the baby becoming blind because the mother had a STD that baby was exposed to as they came down the birth canal, or from blood, etc. If you don't have a STD, then it's typically not necessary. Violet did not get it, but Lily did because DH forgot to tell them no when I was in the bathroom

The vitamin K shot mainly helps with blood clotting and there can be serious clotting issues. The shot does give a huge amount of Vitamin K though and if your baby doesn't have bruising, won't be getting circumcised, etc then it's typically not needed provided that you are aware of signs of hemorrhagic disease, etc, which again can be serious. There was a study that linked the Vit. K shot to increased childhood leukemia a long time ago, but I believe that another study disproved that, but I could be wrong.

Lily did not get the Vitamin K shot, but Vi did. Violet was born at home and had severe head bruising from being stuck for 3 hours and banging her head, so we felt it was important to give to her. I would not give it if the baby didn't have bruising or either issues though and I've discussed that with our pediatrician and my NP as well, both of whom are fine with that.

ETA: with Vitamin K, there is a shot or the oral version. We did the shot with Violet because she had such major bruising. If the bruising had been less, then we would have done the oral version. It's a lower dose, etc for their body to be exposed to. My midwives had both, but I'm not sure that all hospitals do the oral one.

February 27th, 2012, 02:47 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thanks for the info Shelley!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 27th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ugh! I should have asked our pediatrician about this at Austin's appointment on Friday. Aaron and Austin got all the regular newborn stuff, and everything turned out okay. I've been debating with myself about the eye ointment lately.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
February 27th, 2012, 08:25 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
It's required by law in NY to have them all done and there is no religious exemption and any parent who refuses it is reported to CPS. It's so evil stupid state getting all up your butt. Im not worried about it harming my baby, but I would like to see him without gooped up eyes.
I can understand making it a regular practice as Im sure it has helped many babies whose parents wouldn't make an informed choice. But to take the choice away from informed parents and to go so far as to call CPS is terrible. It makes me soooo mad!

February 27th, 2012, 08:28 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's law here in MA too, which makes me grrr. It's kind of ridiculous... I realize that it's important for people who do have an STD but hello, they tested me for everything multiple times (before IVF, etc), I KNOW I don't have anything. Sigh. But on the grand scale of things it's small, it was no big deal with Kate. They did delay it and the other stuff though, I wanted to just hold her for a while first.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 27th, 2012, 08:59 PM
I could not ask for more.
I won't be doing the Hep B, Vit K, or eye ointment.

Hep B: I won't vaccinate Aubrey for anything - I won't get into my reasonings b/c it just causes drama, LOL.

Vit K: Supposedly runs a higher risk of child leukemia. (which just scares the crap out of me!) Plus, its a vaccine so it has the same crap vaccines have in it. Its a wayyyy overload of Vit K and unless baby is getting cir'd, etc. its not very necessary. Since this is a girl and c-section I don't see a reason for it. Plus, I'll supplement with Vit K so she gets some through my breast milk.

Eye ointment: Its for STDs and vaginal births. Since I don't have either she will not be getting goop on her eyes... plus who knows what is really in that stuff...

February 28th, 2012, 06:22 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
This stuff confuses me as well. I never know what I am supposed to say no to until after the fact.
Im sure Madison had all this stuff done because I just did what ever the hospital said with her. I did not even know about not clamping the cord right away.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
February 28th, 2012, 08:49 AM
pfmommy07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to pfmommy07 Send a message via MSN to pfmommy07 Send a message via Yahoo to pfmommy07
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarie9509 View Post
It's required by law in NY to have them all done and there is no religious exemption and any parent who refuses it is reported to CPS. It's so evil stupid state getting all up your butt. Im not worried about it harming my baby, but I would like to see him without gooped up eyes.
I can understand making it a regular practice as Im sure it has helped many babies whose parents wouldn't make an informed choice. But to take the choice away from informed parents and to go so far as to call CPS is terrible. It makes me soooo mad!

I had my second son here in NY(Batavia) and he didn't get the eye ointment at all. He did get the vitamin k shot because he was circ'd. In NYS there IS a religious exemption form. And by law they have to accept it. I had a non-vaxing friend look up the exemptions for the state just the other day. She has already gathered most of the info for her children to start school in state. In NYS there is a medical and religious exemption though.

My oldest was born in FL and got the eye stuff minutes after birth. I have no plans on getting this baby the eye ointment or the hep b. Still on the fence for the vitamin k though. I have some blood clotting issues in my family, my anemia, and likely being induced for pre-e again has me thinking yes.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!

February 28th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Super Mommy
Here's a link you may find helpful...about the vit. K shot.

The High Risks of Vitamin K Shot for Your Newborn Baby
February 28th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I found this http://www.rbs2.com/SilvNitr.pdf but there's no info for New York pfmommy and rmarie. For our state it says that the eye ointment should be applied unless the parent specifically oppose.
Now, I just have to discuss with DH and convince him to not to it.....probably won't happen =(

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
February 28th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleAmommy View Post
I found this http://www.rbs2.com/SilvNitr.pdf but there's no info for New York pfmommy and rmarie. For our state it says that the eye ointment should be applied unless the parent specifically oppose.
Now, I just have to discuss with DH and convince him to not to it.....probably won't happen =(
Most states don't use silver nitrate anymore, they use erythromycin instead now. It is mandated in most states, but I think most have waivers you can sign. In some states, just signing that waiver is known to open a CPS investigation though, which is totally crazy.

February 28th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't know if this helps, but here's a site against vaccines with info on exemptions. I'm posting the link to the New York page (which it says is the hardest state to get in an exemption in without having them call CPS): New York State Exemption Information

I'm really glad I'm in CA where it's not hard to decline these things. I remember the pediatrician on duty getting pissed about me declining Vit. K for Lily, but it wasn't a big deal, nor did I have anyone upset that I declined the Hep B, etc.

February 28th, 2012, 06:25 PM
LindseyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LindseyB
We still require that babies get it here as well as vit k. Hep b is optional but I recommend it usually. Personal choice though. We had a hepatitis outbreak in this area 2 years ago.

[

FOLLOW ME @ http://www.sweetnsourmom.blogspot.com
February 28th, 2012, 07:07 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
CPS will not take your child away for not getting a vaccine, ointment etc. They will come and see you POSSIBLY, ask your reasoning and be done. They have too many other cases to handle and deal with.

I am non vax'ing, however, I am on the fence with Vit K. I had a friend of mine just in November had her 9lb baby hemorage and have a seizure after birth. He had NO interventions etc...AND had the Vit K shot. AGH. It is SO different when it becomes personal.

Hepatitis is everywhere, however, my child will not be injecting needles into himself, having sex etc. So, that will not happen. I will not get into my reasonings why, unless someone would like to PM me.

The only law we have here (Ohio) is the blood draw where they test for 21 different genetic diseases. I am sure if I wanted to, I could battle that as well. However, I won't.

We won't be circ'ing, so I doubt I will go with Vit. K.
February 29th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydiva76 View Post

Check your state's status though. I have heard some states will actually call child protection services on you for denying it.

WHATTTTT????!?!?!

Personally, all of my kids have had all of them, that's my choice for my family. I think that everyone here though is absolutely amazing for informing themselves and making the best choice possible for them and their children Kudos ladies!

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search