Speaking of Hep B Vaccine...

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
So this info may have been posted before but I can't find it. And I know it's something to ask a doctor, but my next appointment is in a week and I wanted some feedback from you ladies

With DS we did it but I'm not too keen on it this time after some of my own research. Is it like the VItamin K where you just tell them at the hospital?

And when do they get it if they don't get it at birth?

Also, are there any benefits to them getting it at birth that I'm missing?

Thanks ladies!

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
February 27th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We don't do Hep B until they're bigger since it's typically sexually transmitted and if they're not around ppl (like parents, grandparents) with it, then it's an extremely low chance they'll get it.

At our hospital, they give it to the baby before checking out of the hospital and you just tell them you don't want it. You can then opt to start the series at their 2 month appointment, or just continue pushing it back. For us, it varied with each kid. I think we started the series for Lily at age 1, but Vi just had her 2 year appointment and we haven't started it for her yet. I don't plan to start this baby until probably closer to age 3 (which is prob. when Vi will start hers) and they're closer to preschool age.

February 27th, 2012, 02:40 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We didnt' do the Hep B vaccine at birth because I thought it was stupid to vaccinate him for a STD. I think that if the mother has Hep B then one might want to have it at birth but that's the only reason I can see for doing. Our hospital required you to sign that you wanted your child to have the vaccine so we just refused to sign and Jackson didn't receive the shot. I will be delaying this baby's Hep B also. Jackson got his at 2 years and I'll probably do this baby around the same time.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 27th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They started making it a routine newborn vaccine due to the mothers that are infected and don't know it. Giving the vaccine to a new infant lessens the chance of them contracting the disease from mom. At least, that's what my doctor said. Since you know you don't have it and your newborn most likely won't participate in risky behavior that could expose him to it (lol), there is no reason to give it right after birth. With my first I had to sign a form to give it, so I just didn't sign the form and said I would get the vaccine at his pedi's office later. and I made sure they all knew he wasn't getting it and made my husband watch them like a hawk! lol. I was a bit paranoid.
February 27th, 2012, 08:32 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can refuse it for as long as you wish
February 27th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I could not ask for more.
I had to sign a waiver when I checked into the hospital with Aiden. I would definitely as for your hospital's policies on this issue since every hospital is different. I would NOT wait until you think they are going to give it to say anything... I would say something even before you deliver! They might just assume that you want it and then it'll be too late. I think its a ridiculous idea to give a STD vaccine to a newborn if the mother does not have the STD. Plus, my MIL got a terrible reaction and almost died from the Hep B vaccination. Although very rare, it just scares me b/c you have no idea how a newborn would be able to handle that shot.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search