l

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Super Mommy
k

Last edited by NotDoneBaking; July 4th, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
February 27th, 2012, 05:07 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I didn't eat before my test. My doctor said I could have something, but not a sugary breakfast. I opted to just fast and I had an early morning appointment.

Results shouldn't be instant. I did get them back the same day though. I made sure to ask when they would know and they told me to call back later.

I have craved sweets for the entire pregnancy. I passed my test with no problem.

February 27th, 2012, 05:16 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The doc will have told you if there were any special instructions as it seems like each test and lab does things slightly differently.

I had a 2-hour test that required fasting; I went in, they took blood. I drank the 10 oz drink, waited an hour, they took blood, waited the second hour, they took blood.

I got the results back two business days later.

I also have been craving (and eating!!) sweets like mad and passed with flying colors.

Good luck! I was quite nervous about the 2 hour test since I don't do well with sugar and fasting, but it wasn't bad at all. I felt very tired later in the day but that was about it.
NotDoneBaking likes this.
February 27th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Super Mommy
l

Last edited by NotDoneBaking; July 4th, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
February 27th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Super Mommy
l

Last edited by NotDoneBaking; July 4th, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
February 27th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I don't think I could fast until 3!! I recommend a light lunch at least an hour or 2 before. Just so you don't feel sick. The drink can make you a little light headed on an empty stomach. Good luck!

February 27th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Super Mommy

February 27th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Sunshine0918's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did my appointment at 8 a.m. so I fasted before mine. I failed. I knew then that I would also be failing the 3 hour. I did. BARELY failed both. Sigh.

Anyway, if your appointment is at 3, try to eat lunch before noon. That will give your sugar levels plenty of time to go back to normal pre-meal levels before the test. I wouldn't have anything packed full of sugar like soda or anything right before. But 2-3 hours should be enough time for your sugar levels to return to normal so you can get an accurate test result and increase you chance of passing and not taking the 3 hour.

My chart: My Ovulation Chart
February 27th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Super Mommy
l

February 28th, 2012, 06:27 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good Luck on your test. I did fast for mine but mine was at 8;30 in the morning. I didn't eat any candy for about a week prior to my test because I was terrified about failing. I got my test results back the morning after my test.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 28th, 2012, 06:32 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Not a big help since I'm pretty much the same as the others, my appointment was in the morning, so fasting was just waiting to eat breakfast after my appointment.

I also have been craving candy like crazy, and it didn't hurt. I still passed.

Good luck!

(and we have Runts!! Even better when you can find them are the Chewy Runts!)

February 28th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hope it goes well! If my appt was at 3, then I'd have something light to eat, but nothing too sugary or too many carbs.

February 28th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My appointment was early, but I still wanted to have breakfast. I had one egg with a little cheese and one piece of toast. I think I drank milk??? I would avoid juice and anything sugary. Even too many carbs. Focus on protein.
My office has you drink the drink, wait an hour while you attend a class, and then they prick your finger and give you the results right away.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

February 28th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post

Results shouldn't be instant. I did get them back the same day though. I made sure to ask when they would know and they told me to call back later.
I'm curious why most of you didn't get instant results. All they have to do is prick your finger and test it like people with diabetes check their levels on their own. At my office we get hemoglobin and sugar tests back instantly. I guess if you're Rh negative it might be different though because I think they have to take a whole vial of blood???
At my sons' clinic, they do take awhile to get hemoglobin results back because they don't just prick, but take a small vial of blood from a prick. Is that more accurate? I don't know, all I know is that it's a pain. I like the small pricks and the instant results I get from my clinic and from the WIC clinic.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

February 28th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleAmommy View Post
I'm curious why most of you didn't get instant results. All they have to do is prick your finger and test it like people with diabetes check their levels on their own. At my office we get hemoglobin and sugar tests back instantly. I guess if you're Rh negative it might be different though because I think they have to take a whole vial of blood???
At my sons' clinic, they do take awhile to get hemoglobin results back because they don't just prick, but take a small vial of blood from a prick. Is that more accurate? I don't know, all I know is that it's a pain. I like the small pricks and the instant results I get from my clinic and from the WIC clinic.
They send all bloodwork to the hospital at my doctor's office.

I am RH negative and they did take a few vials that day...I also had my antibody test.

February 28th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleAmommy View Post
My office takes a whole vial and not just a prick. A vial offers a more detailed test usually compared to the finger prick. But I get the results back within a few hours typically anyway.

February 28th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Veteran
I actually asked today why they took vials instead of just finger-pricking. They said the vial was more accurate.

ETA: I just got back from my fasting 2 hr glucose test. (My office now does that instead of the 1 hour, as per new guidelines last year.) I ate like 3 donuts after dinner last night at 7, so I sure hope it doesn't affect my results.

Last edited by sheriwx; February 28th, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
February 28th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My OB said not to fast but eat a high proteinlow carb breakfast. I had lab papers and could go when I wanted. The morning I went I didn't know I was going to end up going in that day. I drank orange juice early that morning. I had bacon for breakfast and went for my appointment around 10 ish. I passed. My OB just told me at my next appointment.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
February 28th, 2012, 02:44 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto on the vial vs prick; my doc also had a CBC ordered in addition to the GD test since they were being vampires anyway.
February 28th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I skipped the test this time. I've never failed so ob said it was fine. Anyway, I've had 3 different obs and all of them have always done a complete blood draw that took time to come back. I fasted, but I've always done them first thing in the morning. I hope it went well for you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search