Mommies of 2 or more..questions about bedtime.

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How does your bedtime routine work at your house?

First of all, how spaced out are your kids?

What are their bedtimes?

Does your current routine work for you or would you change it in any way?

I'm trying to figure out how we're going to do bedtime with a baby and a 3 year old. I am a fan of schedule and routine, it has worked great with DS. I am trying to plan ahead so that when Cole comes we have a tentative plan

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
February 28th, 2012, 05:14 PM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
My daughter is 14 and my youngest is 3. All of us go up as a family about 8pm. We get 30 min /1 HR of tv time to calm down and unwind. Everything is shut off no matter what come 9 pm. Lights out.
Regardless of age for us, I'd rather have everyone in bed @ 8/9 and up before 7. I don't like seeing kids sleep half of the day away.

Works great for our family.

}
February 28th, 2012, 06:08 PM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How does your bedtime routine work at your house? Bath, watch cartoons/play in the living room for 20 min or so, then brush teeth and bed.

First of all, how spaced out are your kids? 6, 3 (4 in April), and 20 months

What are their bedtimes? 3 year old and 20 month old-7-7:45pm depending on where we are at that evening. The 6yo goes to bed 8:15-8:45.

Does your current routine work for you or would you change it in any way? Works great! We send Cady to her room to "get her bed ready" (she's very picky about where stuffed animals go etc), while we lay Ethan down. Then we go back and tuck her in. Then we wait until Ethan is asleep and we lay Alex down about 30-45 min after his bedtime.

The rest of the night is kid free. At least, until Brayden comes lol! When we have my two stepsons (ages 5 and 3), the routine is pretty much the same. The 5yo goes to bed same time as my 6yo, and the 3yo goes to bed at the same time as our other 3yo and 20 mos old.

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

February 28th, 2012, 06:19 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How does your bedtime routine work at your house? Baths/showers, vitamins, teeth then into bed. Story if they ask. The younger 2 (7 and 4) share a room, and sometimes a bed. If the chose to share a bed, I let them. They go to sleep with a TV on, don't judge it is the ONLY way I can get my daughter to stay in her room at bedtime after her dad passing and with Julian having autism it is now part of his "routine" and God forbid I change it. It really doesn't keep them up any longer and the noise going at night keeps them asleep.

First of all, how spaced out are your kids?
11, 7 and 4. Pretty much 4 years. The 11 year old has his own room and is allowed half hour of tv, then it has to go off. He doesn't complain cause the others get it. I had always raised him to sleep with no lights/sounds/tv etc so he is used to it that way anyhow.

What are their bedtimes?
8-830. I think I am going to push the younger kids up to getting into the bed around 745 as we are up super early (630, when we used to get up at 730 and bed time hasn't changed), it's just most of the time we aren't home until almost 6. I feel like I never see them as it is.

Does your current routine work for you or would you change it in any way?
Yes, it works. Julian is really dependent on Toryn, and she loves taking care of him. They shower together, sleep together etc. She has latched on even more with her dad dying. With his disorder it is helpful to him as well. Ethan is VERY independent and does all on his own, only thing I do is tuck him in. While the other 2 are getting into bed I am getting their clothes ready for the next day...including shoes etc. They take turns picking what to watch on TV. If they sleep in seperate beds, most of the time I get up to find them in the same twin bed. Many nights they both also get melatonin cause they (this was BEFORE the tv went in there) wake up off and on all night, Toryn even more now after her dad passing. Sigh. Bedtime is a wreck here isn't it? Oh well, it works for us and our family. Not one kid is suffering And typing this out and realizing what a bond my younger 2 have, made me cry.
February 28th, 2012, 06:34 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
How does your bedtime routine work at your house?

First of all, how spaced out are your kids? 19 months.

What are their bedtimes? 645-730pm ( depending on the night and activities we have scheduled, and just overall attitudes of the kids) The go to bed at the same time, and have for a very long time ( almost since the beginning)

Does your current routine work for you or would you change it in any way? We eat dinner, play for a few minutes and then do bathtime. After bathtime the kids get dressed and pick out a book, and we read to each of them and turn off the lights.
When DS was smaller, we would always put Mackenzie to bed first, and then get charlie nursed or fed and then put in bed, but it was very close to the same time Mackenzie went down. I hope to get Olivia on a similar bedtime schedule when she gets here. I am a fan of routine.
February 28th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How does your bedtime routine work at your house? Both girls get ready for bed at same time (bath, brush teeth, pajamas, prayers, read books). DH and I both get them ready, but he usually does the night time reading to them.

First of all, how spaced out are your kids? The girls are 19.5 months apart (Lily is 3.5 years and Vi will be 2 next month)

What are their bedtimes? Lily goes to sleep between 830 and 9pm most nights, Vi goes down between 830 and 10pm (she is still in our room most nights and she goes down earlier then. But if we have her sleep in her room with Lily, then she fights it and is up later)

Does your current routine work for you or would you change it in any way It works pretty well. The main issue right now is getting Vi to sleep in their shared room. She only wants me to do her nighttime routine, but she's starting to let DH do more. Usually, they're both asleep around the same time though, so it gives DH and me time to spend together.

February 28th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Bekah's Avatar happy 2 be a girl mommy!
Lurker ... from April DDC hope you don't mind

How does your bedtime routine work at your house? it all depends on when dinner is made and if they are having a bath that night or not (they have one every other night and those nights always run later) but usually it goes ;
dinner, clean up their room/messes, bath, pj's, brush teeth and then I tuck them in and lights out. sometimes they need a story or need me to sing them a song before bed, doesn't happen often though. In the summer their bedtime is later due to darkness times and bathing more often.

First of all, how spaced out are your kids? 13.5 months

What are their bedtimes? they both go to bed around 8-9 MOST nights, used to be 7-7:30 but found they would play for an hour or two if they went that early.

Does your current routine work for you or would you change it in any way? It usually works pretty good, I really wish I read to them more often but by the time I get them actually dressed and ready I am ready to rip my hair out most nights and just want to turn the lights out asap. Eden usually talks or plays in her bed for a bit and usually asks for a drink 10 000x before finally giving up and going to sleep Sophia just sticks in her thumb and is usually asleep within minutes unless Eden is terrorizing her

February 28th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for your replies ladies, and thank you for popping in Bekah The bedtime routine is one of my favorite times of the day with Chase because we spend time together with bath, story etc. He is usually a bit more calm and very talkative. I want to make sure I still have those times with him so I may keep his routine exactly the same, have him watch/help (he's big with helping) bathe Cole until Cole is old enough to bathe with him, and actually put him to bed right before I rock Cole to sleep. We'll see how that works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:fearless:. View Post
And typing this out and realizing what a bond my younger 2 have, made me cry. [/B]
This is the sweetest thing ever! I love hearing sibling stories like this. I bet you had no idea what type of bonds your kids would have with each other and watching it unfold must be so special.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
February 28th, 2012, 09:23 PM
JsBaby's Avatar Super Mommy
How does your bedtime routine work at your house? Supper is at 5:30-6:00 pm. Showers follow supper and then they get tv time. 8:00 is snack time. By 8:30 it's Brush teeth, go to the bathroom and then off to their beds. Then it's quiet time. They can read, play ds, kindle or ipad, but they have to be in bed. Some nights we read books out loud. 9:00 is tucked in and lights out. The eldest can stay up a little longer but has to be in her bed and she has to have all electronic devices shut off by 9:45. 9:00 is DH and my time to sit and watch tv or visit.

First of all, how spaced out are your kids? 14, 10 & 7

What are their bedtimes? 9:00 for the two little ones and 9:45 for the eldest.

Does your current routine work for you or would you change it in any way? It seems to work good. We have bumped their bedtime up to 9 as they've gotten older. It used to be 8:30. If we've had a busy weekend or couple of days, it's lights out early and they usually don't complain. My girls are very schedule oriented. They get crabby and thrown off if they are out of schedule, so it's just easier to keep it the same. I think they appreciate it and will have something similar if they have kids.
February 29th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How does your bedtime routine work at your house? We usually eat supper between 6 and 7; go straight to baths after that. If they get out of the tub pretty fast, then they get to play/watch tv/read with us for a little while; and both go to their beds right at 8 oclock (usually.) They don't always go to sleep immediately; but both boys usually stay in their beds and play/talk to themselves until they fall asleep. We will let them stay up until 9 on weekends/non-school nights if they aren't acting super tired; just because they tend to get up early(6:30/7am) and we like to sleep.

First of all, how spaced out are your kids? 5 and 3 (Will be 4 in June)

What are their bedtimes? 8, but we adjust up and down as needed. Neither of the boys understand clock/time; so if we say its bedtime, they take that at face value.

Does your current routine work for you or would you change it in any way? I like it. I didn't really have a routine for a long time after ds2 was born; and it was just chaos most nights. When DH started going to the gym every evening, one night it hit me that if I'd do a routine and set a bedtime I could actually have time to myself in the evenings. So that's how it started! Now though, its more about giving me and DH time together, since he is home so much more often. I plan on trying my best to work the baby's schedule into ours; instead of trying to change the boys. They both have some autistic/adhd traits, and the structure helps them SO much. We don't usually even have to tell ds2 what to do. He gets down from supper goes straight to the bath; and when he's tired/knows its close to bedtime he goes and gets his blanket and tells us nightnight (whether we were about to put him down or not. lol!)

February 29th, 2012, 06:31 AM
mamaleddie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydiva76 View Post
My daughter is 14 and my youngest is 3. All of us go up as a family about 8pm. We get 30 min /1 HR of tv time to calm down and unwind. Everything is shut off no matter what come 9 pm. Lights out.
Regardless of age for us, I'd rather have everyone in bed @ 8/9 and up before 7. I don't like seeing kids sleep half of the day away.

Works great for our family.
Almost exactly the same for us except we shut down at 7:30 and lights out at 8:30..Aaron and I wake up at 4am to get him off to work, and the girls are up at 6-6:30 to get ready for school, so we are tired by 8 for sure, lol.
The girls are all just about two years apart, and have no problem with their bedtime. AJ will go right on this schedule with us, and he's rooming with us for the first year so hopefully he will just fall in line!
I have always had my kids on a routine and in bed before nine, my older boys included. I just can't take chaos!!!
Toni-Ann~10
Sicily Rae~7
Yasmine Joanne~5
Aaron Michael Junior~ONE!!!! Adalyn Marie-Morrison has arrived! 11/25/2013! 34 weeks..doing well!
February 29th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Carolines bedtime is around 7pm. So well do dinner, playtime, and then well get her dressed and her bedtime bottle and put her down. She usually plays a bit and goes to sleep in her crib.
The older kids r 4 and 5. They get in the tub around 7. Once they get out and dressed, they come to my bed to read a story. Then we put them in bed. That's usually around 7:30 or 7:45. There's no fussing or crying here. Bedtimes usually been a pretty predictable routine here. They are happy to go to sleep. Caroline even laughs and cracks up when you cover her with her blankey. All the kids sleep thru the night and I wake them at 8 to get ready for school or the day. The older two will usually already be up and playing in their room. I love our routine because t gives me a few hours of downtime before I go to sleep. I read and take a bubble bath most nights or watch a movie with dh. I know it'll stop with the nb, but generally by about 5 or 6 months we have the baby on a schedule too.
I've found that getting the new baby used to going down at a specific time everynight really helps them develop a schdule for the daytime. They start to nap at a certain time and things get more predictable. Just my soapbox for ftms.
February 29th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
[QUOTE=.:fearless:.;25685412]How does your bedtime routine work at your house? Baths/showers, vitamins, teeth then into bed. Story if they ask. The younger 2 (7 and 4) share a room, and sometimes a bed. If the chose to share a bed, I let them. They go to sleep with a TV on, don't judge it is the ONLY way I can get my daughter to stay in her room at bedtime after her dad passing and with Julian having autism it is now part of his "routine" and God forbid I change it. It really doesn't keep them up any longer and the noise going at night keeps them asleep.

My 2 year old goes to sleep watching Yo Gabba Gabba or Little Bear on the iPad....no judging coming from here, whatever works, works!!!

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

February 29th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How does your bedtime routine work at your house? Oh man, I'm the wrong person to ask/post on this matter. Here's the way our family works. None of our kids ever had an official bedtime. The oldest three went to sleep around 9 though and woke up around 6am. DD 1 still passes out around the same time and wakes up around the same. We'd put them in bed when they passed out. With my 2 year old, things are a little different, she's not the kind of kid that will fall asleep just anywhere. She will keep going until her legs give out from under her.

First of all, how spaced out are your kids?DS 1 - 18yo, DS 2 - 16 yo, DD 1 - 11yo, DD 2 - 2 yo

What are their bedtimes? DD 1 - around 9pm. DD 2- we had her in bed by around 10, but that varies. I think she might be an insomniac like me

Does your current routine work for you or would you change it in any way? I would definitely change it and have her sleeping normally and early. I've worked on it and she just can't do it

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

February 29th, 2012, 12:37 PM
pfmommy07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to pfmommy07 Send a message via MSN to pfmommy07 Send a message via Yahoo to pfmommy07
How does your bedtime routine work at your house?Dinner before 6 pretty much every night. Then its bath time for the boys(separate), and then at 7:45 we have our oldest go clean up his toys. At 8 he gets in his bed and we do hugs and kisses. Then we lay our toddler in his crib(that is in our room). He goes to sleep after talking to himself.

First of all, how spaced out are your kids?Frankie will be 5 in a couple weeks, and Aiden is almost 16 months.

What are their bedtimes?8pm strict every night for both. DS2 just started this routine a couple months ago.

Does your current routine work for you or would you change it in any way?It works for us. I put a lot of effort into DH being able to put them both to bed. So that while I am in the hospital he can come home to do that, and them not freak out. My MIL is coming up to stay with us for a couple weeks. Before I nursed Aiden to sleep every night, but he is night weaned and only nurses a couple times during the day. I have DH lay him in his crib every night also.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search