UPDATE: slow growth baby? Any thoughts...?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dream2bemommy22

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to megs_babe1986
Well the doctor ordered another u/s to see how the baby is doing and growing... since I can not gain any weight at all and now my uterus is measuring a few weeks behind w/ having contractions on/off.
It was measuring on time at every visit and so was the baby at my 20 week u/s (She was measuring exactly on time).

I went into my u/s appt today. I am 26 1/2 weeks today... the baby is measuringat 24 weeks. So both of my uterus and baby is measuring behind now! What r ur thoughts on this?
__________________________________________________ ________________

update: 2/29/2012
So I had to see my dr today bc I have this horrible sinus infection that feels like its in my chest... good news: not in my chest but just sinsus draining!
My dr did ask how the u/s go and she is waiting on the official report. I told her how the baby is measuring and she said she is concern for the baby now. My next appt is next week but she said depending on what the report says then I might be coming in sooner and we will be discussing the next steps medical wise. We are just waiting on the what if stage now once again!

Last edited by megs_babe1986; February 29th, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
February 28th, 2012, 06:09 PM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
aww I hope all is ok. are they sure though? I was small and couldn't gain weight my last pregnancy and one Dr. measured and said baby was small and put me on bed rest. then I went back a week later and the other Dr. said it was all measuring normal. I ended delivering two weeks early and he was 6 lbs 3 oz. and thats pretty good, especially with them freaking out on me about not gaining anything.

ps do you know why you aren't gaining? is it because you have no appetite? I am on phenergen this time and have already gained 30 lbs lol

February 28th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Veteran
I have diabetes and thyroid problem.... I been eating high calorie foods to gain weight and still nothing. My blood sugars been normal! I went from 200 pounds to 172 and still wont gain. I loss weight and kept it off while my second daughter gained weight and my uterus kept growing with my last pregnancy. This time the baby behind and so is the uterus measurments (both were on track on time till now grr)... so have no clue whats going on!

February 28th, 2012, 06:30 PM
LindseyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LindseyB
Hyperthyroidism? Or hypo?

Did your doctor talk to you after your ultrasound? If so what did he/he say? Sometimes they just continue to monitor babies with intrauterine growth problems. it is probably a placental thing, not something you are doing wrong.

Keep us posted! I know you must be frustrated

[

FOLLOW ME @ http://www.sweetnsourmom.blogspot.com

Last edited by LindseyB; February 28th, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
February 28th, 2012, 09:47 PM
JsBaby's Avatar Super Mommy
Our baby measured 5 days behind at our last ultrasound a couple weeks ago. He still looked good tho. I didn't think his growth size was out of the normal. I'm not sure what my uterus measures. I don't feel as big this time as with the girls.

Is your doctor doing anything to watch this? Do you have another ultrasound scheduled? Did your doctor seemed concerned?

Good Luck!
February 29th, 2012, 04:39 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
I know ive read, and been told my my u/s tech that after 20 weeks babies take on their own track for "normal" and they all start changing at different rates.

Im sure at this point since its still early, they will keep monitoring you. I dont think your weight gain has as much to do with hers. As long as you are eating healthy, ect.

You might get to a point where they might say she will grow better on the outside, but as long as she is still growing ( just not as fast as they would like) i wouldnt worry too much. Its when you go weeks and weeks with no or very little change that i would be very worried. but in 6 weeks, she has shown 4 weeks of growth.

I would talk to your doctor and ask them what this means in terms of your pregnancy, see what your next steps and worst case scenarios would be.
lunarmagic likes this.
February 29th, 2012, 05:53 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no experience with this but I'm sure your dr will continue to monitor baby's growth. I know they will all grow at their own rate.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 29th, 2012, 06:11 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
Has your DR spoken with you yet? That would be my first person to ask about this before you do the wrong thing and google or ask here and get storys that might not happen to you and get really scared.

I have a marker in my blood for this to happen to me and I was told baby would grow normal at the 20 week scan but around 26-28 weeks they would start to notice a fall off on growth. They should start watching you really close, maybe talk diet but it shounds like you already are. If baby stops growing or slows down to much then they might make the choice to take baby early because at that point baby is safer out of the womb than in.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
February 29th, 2012, 06:29 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I've measured up to 5 days behind also, and no one seemed worried at all.

I would sit down and discuss with your doctor. If s/he feels there could be an issue at all, then insist on being monitored more closely or even referred to a high risk doctor for closer monitoring. Just for your peace of mind!

On the bright side- baby's do grow at their own rate at this point. She is showing growth and that's what is most important.

February 29th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry, I'm not experienced with slow growth babies. I have lost 7 lbs this pregnancy and I have no idea why. The OB will be doing a U/S to find out how baby's growing if I don't gain or if I lose weight by next appt.

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

February 29th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Veteran
A new update in the first post!

February 29th, 2012, 08:17 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Shannon... they'll likely just monitor you a little more closely and see if baby continues to grow at his/her own pace. Sometimes babies just take their own growth pattern. I hope it's nothing serious, just a smaller-than-average baby.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
February 29th, 2012, 08:54 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope that baby is just slow growing, the good news is that the DRs are taking it seriously and monitoring you very closely to make sure that baby stays in as long as possible, but doesnt stay in too long...
February 29th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had an u/s once a month after 20 weeks with my first with a peri. I was on a medication that caused spina bifida when I got pregnant but he didn't have it. They still wanted to monitor him monthly though. From 34 to 38 weeks they noticed he had not grown and I was diagnosed with IUGR. They induced me at 38 weeks. But that's the only experience I have had with anything similar.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
March 1st, 2012, 07:55 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad your dr is going to review the u/s and hopefully come up with a game plan to continue to watch baby.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
March 1st, 2012, 08:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Lurking thought I would respond to your post as I went thru the same thing with my son who is 7 yrs old now so I learned to not trust u/s too much on gestation around the same time as you my OB stated during a fundamental measurement that I was measuring a month behind then he sent me in to see my perinatologist to do a u/s that one was on track but a couple weeks later it was not upping gestation age on the u/s so I went thru BPP and NST thru most of all my third trimester. I remembered the day before I was sent to the hospital to be induced when I was almost 40 wks the u/s gestation said around 32-33 wks more closer to 32 wks.

Brendan was born 6 lbs 4 oz 19 inches at 40 wks

I learned things can attribute to measuring small as in not getting a even measurement or an accurate one as more likely Brendan was more in a ball during my third trimester making himself seem to be smaller. Being active or even being more lower down in the uterus, being on their sides

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search