OT-Science Fair Project

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2012, 06:47 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So, my 6th grader has to do a science fair project. Yay me. <insert sarcasm> I am a very factual person, but I like all the testing done for me lol!
This isn't your typical volcano, rat maze type. It is the comparison one, ya create a hypothesis etc. I need some suggestions
Some that we have came up with so far (it needs to stay cheap, as he has to test each subject 10 times, so things like batteries are out of the question)
Which gum flavor lasts the longest
What brand of marker lasts the longest
Does it take more water to take a shower or bath
Which BB pellet has the most velocity (we are hillbillies up here! LOL!!)

So, suggestions??

I tried saying ERF vs FF, but he said no lol!
February 28th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I actually won the prize for my science project in 6th grade I just tested the memory of boys versus girls. It was super simple, didn't cost anything besides poster board to show my charts, etc.

I like all of your thoughts though, especially the BB velocity and the shower vs. bath

February 28th, 2012, 07:16 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
I made a smoking lung in 6th grade lol. It was cheap and fairly easy, I had to do it outsides and film it so at the fair it was my results and a tv playing the video of me running it. It was really fun!

February 28th, 2012, 08:55 PM
JsBaby's Avatar Super Mommy
We were working on DD2's science fair project Monday night, so that's why I missed the chat. She tested the balloon theory from the movie UP. We bought 24 helium latex balloons and then tested to see how many balloons it took to pick up an ounce, 2 ounces, 3 ounces, etc. It was fun! DH and I get too involved in the projects, because we keep wanting to take them to the next level and we get into them too deep. Then the girls are looking at us like really and saying I don't need to know all of that. LOL!

DD1's science fair projects were - watering plants with different liquids... water, pop, milk and ?? something else. Next year, we tested which grass grew the fastest and best. Next year she tested viscosity. Dropped a marble in different liquids and timed to see how long it took to reach the bottom of the jar. We used milk, water, corn syrup and pop. And the last year we tested the corrosion of different nails and screws. We had nails and screws in different liquids... water, vinegar and coke. That one was good too! Her science fair project this year was water testing.

Couple others that I can think of.. One kid tested what would make ice melt the fastest. He used ice cubes with regular table salt, the ice melt stuff they sell at stores and hot sauce. Another girl tested the 5 second rule. She dropped different foods on the ground for 5 seconds and then she grew them in a petri dish. Another girl tested a dog's mouth vs a human's mouth. A boy tested the fastest way to get a can of pop or a bottle of water cold. He used the freezer, ice, and an ice/water mixture. That's all I can think of. Hope that helps!

Good Luck! Have fun!
March 1st, 2012, 07:48 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow! Those are ALL fabulous ideas!! Thanks everyone! We have to decide by Monday! I really want to do the gum one lol!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search