the happiest baby on the block

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 29th, 2012, 07:01 AM
LindseyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LindseyB
Have you read this? I just bought it on my kindle so mayve i can get some good tips

[

FOLLOW ME @ http://www.sweetnsourmom.blogspot.com
February 29th, 2012, 07:03 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I have the Happiest Toddler on the Block and it's decent. It had some good tips. I mostly like these types of books as a way of reinforcing what I already believe in and help me stay strong with it.

February 29th, 2012, 07:26 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I read it when I was pregnant with Jackson and it was okay. One thing the said was how great swaddling was and Jackson hated it so I guess it doesn't work with every baby. Our church does Growing Kids God's Way so that is what we did with Jackson, except for the scheduled feedings. I just fed on demand and he seemed to prefer it that way.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 29th, 2012, 08:43 AM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read it with dd and i found it helpful. i thought the loud shhhing and fast rocking sounded weird but they really did calm her down right away.

[IMG][/IMG]

February 29th, 2012, 08:45 AM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
I've never read that, but I personally like dr. sears the best

February 29th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That's the one with the 5 S's right? Like swaddling, shushing, etc? I think I read part of it. I tend to read parenting books for new ideas, but I don't follow any of them exactly, I just see what works for us.

February 29th, 2012, 09:30 AM
LindseyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LindseyB
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalaw View Post
I read it when I was pregnant with Jackson and it was okay. One thing the said was how great swaddling was and Jackson hated it so I guess it doesn't work with every baby. Our church does Growing Kids God's Way so that is what we did with Jackson, except for the scheduled feedings. I just fed on demand and he seemed to prefer it that way.
What is that method?

Karmen hated swaddling too but I didn't do it very tight so she always got her arms out.im going to try swaddling tighter this time with her arms down.

[

FOLLOW ME @ http://www.sweetnsourmom.blogspot.com
February 29th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Lesson Review Cards » Growing Kids Leaders

Here is the site. The newborn series is under Preparation for Parenting. But basically they want you to begin a schedule with your baby within a few weeks of deliverly. You will do feeding time, wake time and nap time in that order every time and it actually helped Jackson get on a schedule and sleep well. We had trouble in the beginning because after he ate he wanted to sleep so we kept him up for wake time and eventually after he ate, he would stay awake for awhile and then take his nap. You don't do this at night of course when he would wake up to eat in the middle of the night. They have a whole series for raising kids. It's really good.

February 29th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I read it and used it and it worked great! Most kids will hate swaddling if you don't do it tight enough. Do it tight enough and it's happy slumber time! It was especially good because my son had reflux, and using that we kept it at bay and him very happy, no meds required. Most newborns have some degree of reflux they say.
February 29th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I should probably explain - it helped with the reflux because after he ate he would get upset or cranky from gas and such, and the shushing and big rocking motions and being patting helped him to calm right down. We then would hold him upright on our chests after he ate, sometimes for 30 minutes, and then put him to bed at an incline for the reflux. To me it's doing what those bouncer seat thingies do that are now so popular (swaddlebaby or something like that?) except instead of sticking them in a chair to let them comfort your child, you do it yourself. We never needed to use the technique for more then a couple of minutes if that. And this was for the first 3 months which were the hardest for us and as they say, like the 4th trimester.

With all that said, I plan on getting one of those vibrating whatever chair sleeping thingies this time since I also have a toddler and a business to run! So there is nothing wrong with using devices to comfort your child rather then yourself, because you can't always drop everything in our modern age to tend to the one child's need. I mean you could, but you know what I mean.
February 29th, 2012, 06:20 PM
StephL's Avatar Veteran
I didn't read the book but I watched a short video where they demonstrated the 5 S's. DD was already nearly a year when we watched it, but I so wish I had seen it sooner. Seeing how quickly the babies calmed down made me break down in tears, wishing I had known those techniques when she was younger and in so much discomfort. I'll watch it again this time for sure.
February 29th, 2012, 07:45 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We used the 5 Ss...Kaiden NEEDED swaddling every night, he freaked out without it, we will be following it again this time around...
March 1st, 2012, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MJ* View Post
I should probably explain - it helped with the reflux because after he ate he would get upset or cranky from gas and such, and the shushing and big rocking motions and being patting helped him to calm right down. We then would hold him upright on our chests after he ate, sometimes for 30 minutes, and then put him to bed at an incline for the reflux. To me it's doing what those bouncer seat thingies do that are now so popular (swaddlebaby or something like that?) except instead of sticking them in a chair to let them comfort your child, you do it yourself. We never needed to use the technique for more then a couple of minutes if that. And this was for the first 3 months which were the hardest for us and as they say, like the 4th trimester.

With all that said, I plan on getting one of those vibrating whatever chair sleeping thingies this time since I also have a toddler and a business to run! So there is nothing wrong with using devices to comfort your child rather then yourself, because you can't always drop everything in our modern age to tend to the one child's need. I mean you could, but you know what I mean.
I have no problem using devices either. I say use whatever works. Jackson would only sleep in his swing for the first 3 months of his life and I fought it. I was terrified that he would never be able to sleep without his swing. But I gave in and let him sleep in his swing and around 3 months of age, he didn't want to sleep in his swing anymore.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search