Out of town in-laws?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2012, 11:11 AM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The "how to handle visitors" thread got me thinking -- what are you guys doing about out of town family?

My mom is local, so that's no biggie -- I'll just call her when I go into labor and she can drive to the hospital.

My in-laws, though, live thousands of miles away and will have to fly out. Do you have your family fly out early based on your due date and risk them sitting around staring at you until you go into labor? Or just have them come out after the baby is born because it's most practical?
March 1st, 2012, 11:20 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our only out of town family is my sister in law and when Jackson was born we just called her and she came out a few weeks after he was born. I'm sure your in laws will want to come out earlier but I would still just call them when you go into labor and have them come out then, otherwise they could be waiting around for a while. And I don't know about you but i definitely wouldn't want mine waiting around especially if they were staying at my house..lol.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
March 1st, 2012, 11:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My sister is in Oregon and I'm not having her come visit until after the baby arrives. With Lily, she came out about 3 weeks after she was born and with Vi, we actually went up to Oregon the next month. I like having a bit of time to adjust to new baby at home, etc before she comes to visit.

March 1st, 2012, 12:21 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
My sister is my out of town visitor. She is going to come take care of DS and clean my house while I'm in the hospital. I was really nervous to send DS away for 2 days and this way I have better access to him. When I want him he can be right there and I won't have to worry about inconveniencing anyone.

My sister is a huge help and support. One of my best friends, really. It makes not having my mom there to meet my baby and help me a little more bearable. Actually not having my mother is still very hard on me. I miss her more when I have a baby. I so wish I could have that moment where I show her her grandchildren and witness that pride.

Boo hoo. Enough about that. My inlaws are in town. Along with anyone else that wants to see the baby.

March 1st, 2012, 12:41 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
My sister is my out of town visitor. She is going to come take care of DS and clean my house while I'm in the hospital. I was really nervous to send DS away for 2 days and this way I have better access to him. When I want him he can be right there and I won't have to worry about inconveniencing anyone.

My sister is a huge help and support. One of my best friends, really. It makes not having my mom there to meet my baby and help me a little more bearable. Actually not having my mother is still very hard on me. I miss her more when I have a baby. I so wish I could have that moment where I show her her grandchildren and witness that pride.

Boo hoo. Enough about that. My inlaws are in town. Along with anyone else that wants to see the baby.
So sorry that your mom won't be there, but I am glad that you have your sister to help. I know making sure that our other kids are taken care of while we are in the hospital is so important.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
March 1st, 2012, 12:41 PM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
My parents are my only real out of town visitors. They live about 4 hours away. The plan right now is for my mom to come up at least a week before my EDD so she can be there for DS. My dad will come up after she's born. My dad may only stay a couple of days, but my mom may stay longer after she is born. It all depends on how I'm doing.

I have two sets of IL's. One lives about 30 min away. I'm sure they will decide to come meet her within a few weeks or so. My MIL asked if my mother was coming up, but has never offered to help with DS.
The other set live about 2 1/2 hours away. I think the plan is that they will come up probably 2-3 weeks after she is born for a visit. They do have an excuse they have a working farm and it's hard for them to just up and leave- especially that time of year.
My sister lives in ID, and won't be coming, my SIL lives near my FIL and I'm sure she and our niece will be up as soon as school is out.

March 1st, 2012, 12:43 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalaw View Post
So sorry that your mom won't be there, but I am glad that you have your sister to help. I know making sure that our other kids are taken care of while we are in the hospital is so important.
Thanks, Melissa. I miss her a lot. My hormones make it worse!

March 1st, 2012, 12:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
all of my family is at least 500 miles away. the only ppl i want to fly out are my parents. my dad will stay the wkend and my mom will keep my son during the time i'm in the hospital, assuming i make it to my scheduled csection. they are very helpful, when they aren't trying to run the show lol.

March 1st, 2012, 02:08 PM
aka shawna
my inlaws are in another country. some will fly out here for christmas, and we will be renting out a cabin which should be a lot of fun. otherwise, we will be going to england this coming fall so my hubby can show off both of his little beauties!
March 1st, 2012, 03:30 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
My ILs are the out of towners but FIL is sick (it's looking like cancer, we're not sure yet) and MIL is taking care of him so we're not sure if they're going to come. They usually come for the baby's 100 day ceremony so I feel better and can enjoy their visit.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
March 1st, 2012, 03:39 PM
Dóchas's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Dóchas
All my family and DH's family are local. My brother is the furthest away which is 20min...

Ok you know saying that my Dad is 1.5 hr drive away but not too bother about him being there. He'll turn up at some stage once the babies are born...

[SIZE="3"]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search