breast pumps...too many choices...help!

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2012, 01:32 PM
jacks_mommy's Avatar Veteran
Okay- so I am going to TRY and breastfeed my daughter this time around. I didn't even approach the subject with my first born, he was bottle fed from day one. But- I just really want to give it a try this time. Yeah- I'm a little selfish too (I would like to save money on formula) But I also want to see if it will prevent some of the feeding troubles my son had (constant constipation and reflux) I figure, it's worth a try.
However- I know NOTHING about breastfeeding. I do know I am having a c-section, so I'm worried about how to comfortably hold the baby etc. But, I'm more curious about pumps. Are there any you ladies would recommend over the other? I don't really want to spend $300, but if I need to, that's fine. Also- did you ladies buy your pumps before the baby was born? I kind of hesitate with that too because if it isn't working, I don't want to have a $300 pump that I never used.

So please- educate me!

*Thank you AlexKatieAidenMommy for my awesome siggie*
March 1st, 2012, 01:44 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Get The Breastfeeding Book by Dr. Sears!! I loved it. FULL of helpful information that you can refer to when you are confused or having troubles.

Also, breastfed babies DON'T get constipated Wonderful huh?

As far as c section goes, you need some support. The hospital staff or having an LC visit you before you leave are great ways to get some helpful holding tips.

Really it's not hard once you learn. You can YouTube some videos on newborn nursing to see about latching and holds. I think it helps to have a visual.

One more thing. Pumping is absolutely NOTHING like breastfeeding. Your baby is ALWAYS going to get more milk than what you pump. So don't freak out if you pump very little because your baby gets more than that. You judge a BF baby's intake by their pee and poop diapers. How many they have in a certain period of time. That's the real indicator. Also, introducing bottles in the first several weeks can hurt your bf relationship. Especially if you are new to everything. What happens is, the baby gets used to a bottle being an easier way of getting the milk and they start to reject your breast. This makes it difficult to produce the right amount of milk for them. Milk is supply and demand. So, if they are hungry and even just fussy then putting them to the breast does nothing but calm them and help you make more milk.

And sometimes breastfed babies just like to nurse. It's comforting. It's normal. Don't put the expectations of how your formula fed baby was sleepy and full for hours on your breastfed baby. The book will tell you more about that!

I'm proud of you for trying. It is one of those things that isn't for everyone, but if you give it a real chance it can be incredibly rewarding...and cheap as hell! lol

Last edited by *Jillian*; March 1st, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
March 1st, 2012, 01:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had a c section and used the football hold at first because it was the easiest. If you have a Lactation Consultant at your hospital they will guide you in positioning and latching on after the birth.

I bought a Medela pump in style and even though I hated pumping, I didn't regret buying it and used it. It was expensive but worth it. If you are a working mom, the freestyle version that's hands free may be good for you. Lots of moms pump while driving to work using that My tip with pumping and getting a lot of milk is to use as low a setting as possible. Many moms go to too high of a speed at first and don't get much milk. Seems counterintuitive but it's true.

Finally, remember that your boobs are made for breastfeeding! Sure there are moms that have a very difficult time and have to stop or never get to start, but it isn't as common as some think. Issues breastfeeding that prevent the mom from nursing are rare. It's just that you read or hear about the bad stories b/c if nursing goes smoothly as it does for most moms, there is no story to tell! It's like, no one chats with their girlfriends about mild periods, you know? They talk about the awful painful ones! So have confidence, you'll most likely do fine Make sure to get some nipple cream because some ladies have issues with cracked nips at first (I never did), and be prepared for it to be sore and tender at first, especially when the breasts are engorged. But that is all normal. And if you find breastfeeding to be painful, get help from a LC or a video from online on how to latch properly, as nursing shouldn't be painful aside from your nips getting toughened out the first couple of days. If it is, your latch is bad. And there are resources to help you achieve a good latch. Hope that helps!
March 2nd, 2012, 05:24 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I exclusively breastfed for the first 6 weeks of Jackson's life then I started pumping and introduced a bottle around 6 weeks. We only gave him a bottle once a day for several weeks then when he went to daycare I pumped while at work and they gave him my pumped milk at daycare. I used the Medela Advanced Pump in Style. I think I paid around $230.00 for it at Babies R Us, I had a coupon but it was a wonderful pump. I never had any trouble with Jackson going between the breast and bottle, but I do believe that if you introduce the bottle too soon, it could harm.

Good Luck and we will be here for you through the entire process. I truly believe that breastfeeding Jackson was one of the best things I have ever done. He rarely gets sick even when all the other kids at daycare are sick and none of them were breastfed. I believe that it helped him build up his immunities and has helped to keep him well. Plus it is a wonderful bonding experience between mother and child.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
March 2nd, 2012, 06:12 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
i used a medela pump in style- i bought it barely used for 100 on CL and just replaced all the exterior parts from babies r us, with gift cards from when DS was born, lol.

I started pumping when DS was about 5 weeks old. I pumped before bed ( he got a bottle) and then i pumped overnight, on the side he didnt nurse off during his feeds. By 5 weeks, he was content with one boob a session. So the other was always full. And i found that being that it was overnight, it allowed my supply to build up, and i was able to get big full bottles of it, vs the 1-2 oz i got during the day.

He got 1 bottle a day until i went back to work at 12 weeks, then 2 days a week he got a few bottles and then BF when i was around. He never had nipple confusion ( i used playtex drop ins) and he BF until he was 9-10 months old. and self weaned.
March 2nd, 2012, 01:25 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mom split the cost of a new Medela pump in style with me when I had ds1, and I absolutely love it. I've had no problems with it; it's portable so I can use it at work easily (battery and electric power; so I don't necessarily have to have somewhere with a plug.) I have totally pumped in the car before too! Lol! I pump from early on to help my milk come in, and try to just freeze it at first and put off the bottle until I know we both have the hang of it.

March 3rd, 2012, 06:21 AM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
Lots of good advice/info on the PP.

The one thing I can add is that the first couple weeks were really tough for me. Then it got a lot easier as we went. So, if you are having a hard time at first, just know that it will likely be the "worst" of it. It only gets easier as baby starts to get the hang of latching on, your breasts and nipples get adjusted, you get the hang of what is normal for baby in terms of poops and pees, etc.

On pumping, I pumped first thing in the morning, right after feeding DS the first time. I would be super full still and had much more luck getting a good amount.

Also, I took a breastfeeding class and was glad I did. They told us all about how to get baby latched, how to tell if they were getting enough to eat, what to do if you are having difficulty in the hospital etc. Some of it seemed a little basic, but it was only like 1-2 hours of my time and well worth just knowing what my backup plan could be if the hospital tried to push supplementation or something.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search