Another BTDT Breastfeeding Mama's ?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By *Jillian*
  • 1 Post By Twhylite21

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 2nd, 2012, 07:45 AM
Veteran
So, with DD I only breastfed for the first 4 weeks, because she had breastmilk jaundice and at the time as a new mom I wasn't aware that I could continue to breastfeed through it..Around 6-8 weeeks she started sleeping through the night. What are your experiences with your breastfed babies and their sleep schedule at night. Is it wishful thinking that this baby would sleep through the night as well so early (I know each baby is different..I'm just speaking from a what if perspective) since I will be exclusively breastfeeding for the first year? And if she does, what do I do about my boobs if she doesn't wake up to eat at night? Do I pump? Can I go 8+ hours without pumping or feeding? I plan on going out today to look for a good book..I think someone recommended Dr. Sear's book. But I thought I could gain some insight here as well.

March 2nd, 2012, 08:17 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jackson woke up to nurse atleast once a night until around 3 or 4 months. After he stopped nursing in the middle of the night, I found that most nights I had to get up and pump. I tried not doing that but my boobs just got too full and hurt terribly. I got mastitis and I think this was part of it, so I started getting up and pumping for about 15 minutes and then going back to bed. It sucked but gave me relief and I didn't wake up in the mornings about to bust.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
March 2nd, 2012, 08:59 AM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
for books I am reading and recommend

Dr. Sears Breastfeeding Book
LLL Womanly art of breastfeeding

March 2nd, 2012, 09:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Lily slept 6 hours straight at night by 6 months. I did not have to pump, and I actually never pumped with her at all. And I had an oversupply, but I'd just hand express a tiny bit into the sink if I got uncomfortable. I leaked a lot, so I always wore nursing pads as well.

Violet woke to nurse at least once up until she weaned at 17.5 months old, but she nursed less during the day. I could go 6-8 hours without nursing her without getting too engorged.

March 2nd, 2012, 12:44 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
Allison didn't sleep through the night until we weaned at 22 months! She would wake up at least once a night to nurse. In the beginning, she would eat every two hours then it stretched out to every 3 or 4 hours during the night. I never had to pump during the night but I would pump during my first morning feeding just to get some extra stashed in case I needed it (and I did).

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
March 2nd, 2012, 01:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Before 3 months old a breastfeeding baby sleeping through the night is super rare! At least I think it would be. I really have no idea, but I have never heard of it. You could get lucky though!
March 2nd, 2012, 01:06 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
My son was a horrible sleeper anyway! I hate to blame that on breastfeeding because even when he night weaned at 18 months (on his own) he still woke up a few times a night.

I agree that very young babies 0-3 months probably won't sleep through the night if they nurse. Breastmilk digests fast, but I can tell you that I would pick DS up, nurse him, change him, and he would pass out easily. It wasn't really a struggle at all.

March 2nd, 2012, 04:20 PM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
Breastfeeding or Formula feeding makes no difference on if your baby will sleep through the night its all a myth... same with adding cereral to the bottle BTW that is one of the worst things you can do to a poor new borns intestines.

My daughter was 3 before she really started sleeping through the night and about once every week or 2 she still gets up. I think what you feed your infant has anything to do with how they sleep its more who they are and she is just not a great sleeper.

I have never heard of breastmilk jondice before... interesting I will have to look that up. My friends baby had jondice and they told her to just breastfeed her like crazy to help push it through her system.

IF your baby sleeps though the night and does not need to nurse your body will adjust to that over time and know that while you are sleeping it does not need to produce milk. I had the oposite issue my daughter wanted to eat all night long and was a grazer during the day. So the only way I could sleep was with her on my boob in my bed and I just rolled over every couple hours to swap sides. I dont know what I would have done if she was a formula baby.... lots and lots of crying and sleepless nights for both me and her.

I had a lot of trouble at the start and for about 8 weeks I supplemented with forumla and I did not notice any difference with her being full longer on formula or breastmilk.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
March 2nd, 2012, 04:40 PM
I wanted to add that around 3-4 months my son would sleep for 7 hours at night and when he started waking to nurse more often again, my body adjusted. He nursed a lot during the day anyway and I never tried to put him on a schedule. Just followed his cues.

March 2nd, 2012, 04:45 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey2000k View Post
Breastfeeding or Formula feeding makes no difference on if your baby will sleep through the night its all a myth... same with adding cereral to the bottle BTW that is one of the worst things you can do to a poor new borns intestines.

My daughter was 3 before she really started sleeping through the night and about once every week or 2 she still gets up. I think what you feed your infant has anything to do with how they sleep its more who they are and she is just not a great sleeper.

I have never heard of breastmilk jondice before... interesting I will have to look that up. My friends baby had jondice and they told her to just breastfeed her like crazy to help push it through her system.

IF your baby sleeps though the night and does not need to nurse your body will adjust to that over time and know that while you are sleeping it does not need to produce milk. I had the oposite issue my daughter wanted to eat all night long and was a grazer during the day. So the only way I could sleep was with her on my boob in my bed and I just rolled over every couple hours to swap sides. I dont know what I would have done if she was a formula baby.... lots and lots of crying and sleepless nights for both me and her.

I had a lot of trouble at the start and for about 8 weeks I supplemented with forumla and I did not notice any difference with her being full longer on formula or breastmilk.
I believe that it has more to do with each individual baby rather then what their diet consists of as well..my main concern was what I would do with my boobies lol! DD was sleeping for long stretches right before I stopped BF...I had an absolutely ridiculous milk supply and would ALWAYS have to pump after her feedings because I was still so full, I would make 6 oz bottles like nobodies business...so I was just curious as to whether or not any of you would have to wake up and pump, not so concerned with whether she does or doesn't practice the same sleep schedule as DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
I wanted to add that around 3-4 months my son would sleep for 7 hours at night and when he started waking to nurse more often again, my body adjusted. He nursed a lot during the day anyway and I never tried to put him on a schedule. Just followed his cues.
Isn't it amazing how our bodies just KNOW what to do??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
Lily slept 6 hours straight at night by 6 months. I did not have to pump, and I actually never pumped with her at all. And I had an oversupply, but I'd just hand express a tiny bit into the sink if I got uncomfortable. I leaked a lot, so I always wore nursing pads as well.

Violet woke to nurse at least once up until she weaned at 17.5 months old, but she nursed less during the day. I could go 6-8 hours without nursing her without getting too engorged.
This was something else I was curious about, if anyone just didn't bother with a pump. I have an Ameda pump that I used with DD, that I bought when I was pregnant the first time around, which was almost 6 years ago now...and I have been considering upgrading to a Medela (although both are very similiar pumps, mine is a bit dated)...but I have been thinking about not pumping at all until a month or two in?

Last edited by KatNJerPlus2; March 2nd, 2012 at 04:50 PM.
March 2nd, 2012, 04:51 PM
Ya know, my body amazed me more during nursing than it did pregnant! How in the world could I grow this baby and then feed it from my body? Blew my mind! Still does!

My friend has 2 daughters that have slept tons from an early age and both are breastfed. She makes ridiculous amounts of milk too. lol It must be very satisfying and mine is probably like 1% milk. I said hers was like milkshakes.

I didn't pump at all in the first few months.
KatNJerPlus2 likes this.

March 2nd, 2012, 05:38 PM
alilangel7's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I breastfed exclusively for the first three and a half months, then added EBM when I went back to work. Right about that time M started sleeping through the night (at least 6 hours). I never pumped until I went back to work. When she started sleeping through the night, I would leak a lot, but would not end up waking up to pump. When I woke in the morning I would be soaked though. This lasted a little bit and then my body adjusted.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my beautiful siggy!

March 2nd, 2012, 06:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I never pumped at all with Lily, so she never had a bottle. She just always nursed from "tap"

With Vi, I thought maybe I should pump a bit. I think she had a total of 4 small bottles of pumped milk in her first year. I just used a manual Avent pump (I think the Isis) and I was able to pump a good amount with that (over 8oz in under 10 minutes). I kept a small stockpile in the freezer for emergencies, but ended up tossing most of it since she never liked having a bottle.

For me, it's always just been easier to nurse versus think about pumping. But I'm also a SAHM and I'm fine taking baby everywhere with me, so if they want to nurse then I'm always there.

And I think if you want to pump, it's fine to start a few months in, or only pump when you need. With Vi, I never pumped regularly, I just did enough every now and then if I knew DH and I were going to dinner, etc without her.

March 2nd, 2012, 06:43 PM
My son was 4 weeks old when he had his first bottle. It took me all day to pump up 3-4 oz and my husband fed him. He threw up every single oz and I cried. HAHA!! It was so hard for me to pump! And the child literally never threw up before so I was so upset.

I didn't pump much after that.

March 2nd, 2012, 07:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
My son was 4 weeks old when he had his first bottle. It took me all day to pump up 3-4 oz and my husband fed him. He threw up every single oz and I cried. HAHA!! It was so hard for me to pump! And the child literally never threw up before so I was so upset.

I didn't pump much after that.
That's so sad I actually cried the first time Vi had a bottle...I think it's because I never gave one to Lily. Even though it was pumped milk, it just made me sad. DH and I came home from dinner (I think Vi was like 3 or 4 months) and my mom was giving her the bottle and I lost it. DH thought I had lost my mind
*Jillian* likes this.

March 2nd, 2012, 09:50 PM
Oh no. I did the same. I was so emotional about not feeding her. It's so weird what those hormones do to you!! lol

DH said he understood. He was my biggest supporter.

March 3rd, 2012, 04:10 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Charlie woke up 2-3 times a night until he was 13 months old, then one night it just stopped and he slept through the night. Towards the end (9+ months) he was only waking 1-2 times.
I would pump on the breast he didnt nurse off of overnight for the first 5 or 6 months, so i could keep a supply on hand for while i was working. Once i had enough milk i stopped pumping overnight and my milk adjusted.

You will be engorged for a while if you go 8 hours without pumping, but it wont dry up your supply completely, only during the hours he isnt nursing from it. Your boobs are like supply and demand, the more demand the more supply, the less demand, the less supply. Its all relative to their age, how much their eating, and how often they eat.
March 3rd, 2012, 05:12 AM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
I pretty much exclusively breastfed. I pumped in the mornings before I went back to work and on the weekends once I did go back to work. That was just so I would have a bottle for DS if we needed it. I was able to breastfeed DS at work, so I never had to use bottles on a daily basis. This time, if I get a new job I will be pumping for his daytime feedings. So I bought a Medela.

DS didn't sleep all night until after his first birthday. But nighttime feedings were SO easy. I put him in a crib pretty early on because he slept better and so did I. Even in those first early months, I would feed him on one side, change his diaper, feed him on the other side, and he would fall right back asleep.

If he slept longer than usual, I would leak like crazy. As it was, I probably didn't sleep on my stomach until he was 4 months old. I slept in a sleep bra and pads probably until he was 9 months old. But other than that, when he actually began to eat less, my body adjusted quite easily.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search