johnsons products and formaldehyde??

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2012, 09:43 AM
jacks_mommy's Avatar Veteran
So I was told by an RN I work with that Johnson's baby products use Formaldehyde. That has me a little uncomfortable...I have used their products with my son since he was born...he has very sensitive skin and needs a very natural dye free soap (tear free). I have never had a problem with them...but now that I have reaseached this a little more online, I am ready to try something else. What do you mom use/recommend??

*Thank you AlexKatieAidenMommy for my awesome siggie*
March 3rd, 2012, 09:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We use California Baby products on the girls.

I think J&J, Aveeno (owned by J&J) and some others are reformulating their stuff that had the chemicals in it, they were already banned in Europe. It's not their entire line either, I think it was just some of their products. Here's the official J&J statement on it for anyone interested (basically, they say it's a low amount of formaldehyde, etc but they're phasing it out): JOHNSON

Last edited by Twhylite21; March 3rd, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
March 3rd, 2012, 10:04 AM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We use aquaphor baby gentle wash and shampoo. its fragrance free and really good for sensitive skin.

[IMG][/IMG]

March 3rd, 2012, 10:15 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We've always used aveeno; that's what I plan to use with this one as well.

March 3rd, 2012, 01:59 PM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
I use Aveeno because its the only thing that doesnt bother DD's skin.
J&J I was told has alcohol in it and can dry them out.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
March 3rd, 2012, 03:01 PM
pfmommy07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to pfmommy07 Send a message via MSN to pfmommy07 Send a message via Yahoo to pfmommy07
We are going to use something more natural this time around. I really like the California Baby products for diaper rashes. So think we'll start with that.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!

March 3rd, 2012, 07:23 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
I bought CB cremes for DS's eczema and it did nothing for him. So im not convinced on their products yet.

I love Aveeno baby, that helped DS's rash so much. My kids have really sensitive skin when it comes to body washes, and J&J and Aveeno have been the only things that havent made it worse or cause flare ups.
March 4th, 2012, 08:13 AM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
I use Aveeno body wash on DD's crazy skin. It's the only body wash that doesn't irritate her eczema. For lotion we use Cerave, it rediculously expensive but Allison's skin looks so good!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
March 4th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
FYI, one super cheap but effective dry skin remedy is Crisco vegetable shortening. That's what DS1's allergist suggested that we use for his skin, and it worked wonders. And absolutely no preservatives/fragrances etc..there is literally nothing there to irritate them. It makes a great diaper rash cream/lotion as well.

March 4th, 2012, 05:01 PM
pfmommy07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to pfmommy07 Send a message via MSN to pfmommy07 Send a message via Yahoo to pfmommy07
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm16_2000 View Post
I use Aveeno body wash on DD's crazy skin. It's the only body wash that doesn't irritate her eczema. For lotion we use Cerave, it rediculously expensive but Allison's skin looks so good!
I got some CeraVe the other day for my toddlers eczema!! It has helped some, but with the constant changing weather he is in the middle of a flair up. I freaking hate that he has the eczema though. I feel bad, but he doesn't notice it yet.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!

March 4th, 2012, 06:10 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfmommy07 View Post
I got some CeraVe the other day for my toddlers eczema!! It has helped some, but with the constant changing weather he is in the middle of a flair up. I freaking hate that he has the eczema though. I feel bad, but he doesn't notice it yet.
The CeraVe will help more when the flare up is over, but keep using it. When Allison's is acting up we do wet wrapping (where after a bath we put Vaseline on her spots then put wet PJ's on her). This seems to help the most- unless we want to use the steriod cream the doctor prescribed for really bad flare ups. I don't like to use that unless she's just miserable!

I know the feeling about your kid having eczema- we've been fighting it since Allison was born. At least your little one hasn't noticed it yet. Allison has started to notice it and scratch. We have to make sure she is "greased up" all the time.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
March 4th, 2012, 06:11 PM
aka shawna
say what?! i had no idea either. i've been purchasing johnson and johnson for years. love their smell!
March 4th, 2012, 06:59 PM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was so sad to hear this bc I love the smell of the shampoo, but we have quit using it. I think the J&J naturals line doesn't have the formaldehyde. I don't know if it's true or not but someone posted in the May 2010 PR that California Baby had formaldehyde too, but I havent done my research there so I'm just repeating what I heard.
March 4th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by speechteach42 View Post
I was so sad to hear this bc I love the smell of the shampoo, but we have quit using it. I think the J&J naturals line doesn't have the formaldehyde. I don't know if it's true or not but someone posted in the May 2010 PR that California Baby had formaldehyde too, but I havent done my research there so I'm just repeating what I heard.
I checked our bottles and they say "no formaldehyde" on them, so I Googled just to check and didn't come up with anything. They're not listed on the list that states all the ones with issues. Here's the original list of products if anyone is curious about other brands or just wants to see Campaign for Safe Cosmetics*:*Toxic Tub: Product Test Results

March 4th, 2012, 08:33 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've always used Baby Magic on Kate. Loooove how it smells. I'm so sad I have to switch to something else for her hair now. (it's getting longer... needs some conditioning and such).

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
March 4th, 2012, 08:48 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, for what it's worth vaccines have it in them too
March 4th, 2012, 09:30 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:fearless:. View Post
Well, for what it's worth vaccines have it in them too
I've read that the amount of formaldehyde in vaccines is less than the amount that the body produces naturally.
March 4th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
We used to use California Baby products for my son until they recently added sodium benzoate to almost everything in their baby product line Right now I'm using a brand I've bought at Whole Foods called Everyday Shea. It seems to be working well.
March 5th, 2012, 06:29 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
We have switched back and forth between Yes to Carrots, California Baby and Baby Aveeno. This was also a big deal when DS was born.

March 5th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devan'sMama View Post
We used to use California Baby products for my son until they recently added sodium benzoate to almost everything in their baby product line Right now I'm using a brand I've bought at Whole Foods called Everyday Shea. It seems to be working well.
Boo on the sodium benzoate! We still have a ton of older bottles, but I will be switching once we run out now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search