Maternity Coat

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2012, 09:43 PM
Veteran
I live in the Chicago area, so a winter coat is a must. Of course, it's already March and the weather all winter has been unseasonably warm, so I just don't know whether I should spend money on a coat that I will probably wear for a month. My belly didn't really "pop" until about 3 weeks ago, but now my regular winter coat is getting to be too small. Other cold climate mommies- did you buy a maternity coat? Would you buy one this late in the winter? Thanks!
March 4th, 2012, 06:18 AM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
are they going on sale yet?? maybe you can find an awesome deal. and do you want more kids?

March 4th, 2012, 07:58 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
I would not waste my money. My coat is still zipping but its getting tight. I figure for just a few weeks if it wont zip it will be ok just left open.
I think we only have 3-4 weeks left before we are in the 50's-60's everyday.

Most days I dont even take a coat with me because I get to hot in the car or in buildings and feel like im about to pass out.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
March 4th, 2012, 08:21 AM
StephL's Avatar Veteran
I bought a winter coat in January, as mine was very small and didn't zip up anymore. I couldn't find my size on Kijiji (but there were tons of coats in other sizes), so I went to check all the local stores like Thyme and Motherhood. The sales associates basically laughed at me and told me the coats were gone by October, lol. I ended up ordering one online from Motherhood for $99 and I am so happy that I did. Also, seeing the prices that the coats go for used, I'll be able to sell it next winter. That being said, I did it in January so have gotten a few months of use out of it. Maybe you could find one consignment or on Craigslist etc? Or even just a really, really big coat?
March 4th, 2012, 08:47 AM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
I got one online at Target a few weeks ago, on clearance for 17.98....but it looks like they are gone now! maternity coat at Target

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com
March 4th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Veteran
Thanks for the feedback. I walk about a mile each way from the commuter rail station to work and back, so going without a coat isn't really an option. My regular coat still zips, but is really tight (especially with the liner zipped in... which I need if it gets below 30). Fingers crossed that the weather warms up by the time I can't get it to zip at all. One of our local thrift stores has a halfway decent maternity section. I'll check there and look for online sales.
March 4th, 2012, 11:16 AM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm in Chicago too, and I haven't buttoned my coat all winter lol. But when I was pregnant with my dd I bought a coat a few sizes up from Discovery that got me through the winter. If they still have them they're like $10-20 to get you through the next few months if you're looking to save money.

[IMG][/IMG]

March 4th, 2012, 05:24 PM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm near Chicago but havent needed a maternity coat since I don't have to spend a lot of time outside. I usually just wear my north face fleece jacket open bc it doesn't zip anymore.
March 4th, 2012, 05:51 PM
jacks_mommy's Avatar Veteran
I live in MN, so it's pretty cold here too. I didn't buy a coat and mine finally stopped zipping about 2 weeks ago. I don't want to spend the money, so I am just layering on the zip up hoodies. When we had our snow storm last week, I wore one of my husbands jackets and that worked (although not too pretty) I figure another month and it will be in the 40's again..

*Thank you AlexKatieAidenMommy for my awesome siggie*
March 4th, 2012, 08:51 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I live in Ohio, this year we haven't had HORRIBLE weather, but it has gotten into single digits. My coat is JUST now getting tight. I have found, if I wear my columbia fleece under it I can zip that up and throw my winter coat over. A northface or columbia would be my first choice, as you will get use out of it after. Columbia seems to have more stretch than northface does.
March 4th, 2012, 08:54 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is my third winter being pregnant (and third trimester) and I have never bought a maternity coat. It just didn't seem worth it to me. I only go from my house to my car, from my car to a store, etc. Zipping it up isn't really a huge concern... and at this point I can still zip up my regular coat anyways.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
March 5th, 2012, 05:13 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
I had a Early April baby with my first, and i just wore a larger regular coat. I never spent the money on a maternity coat ( and i was living in chicago) I wouldnt waste your money, personally. Maybe try goodwill or consignment shops, or even craigslist if you absolutely think you cant live without them. but i know my mom is in Chicago, and they have gotten so little snow this year, and temps have been unseasonably warm.
March 5th, 2012, 05:18 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Old Navy

i found this coat on Old navy, its not the cutest thing, but its only 20 dollars, they have 30% off right now, so it basically evens out with the shipping. They only have L and XL though.

or they have this one for 23
Old Navy

i wouldnt most likely spend anymore than that though, but for 20 bucks you can most likely make most of your money back if you went to sell it after your baby is born.
March 5th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Veteran
We live downstate (Peoria area). I have a Northface fleece that I got last year. I can still zip it, but it's getting tight. Luckily, Ryan's sister loaned me a nice plaid maternity coat. I've only worn it once, though! I'm not buying my own, and really, with this weather we've had, the fleece is just fine!
March 5th, 2012, 06:24 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I bought one in January because I knew the others would not fit long, and I needed something that looked halfway professional when I have to go to a hearing or something at the Capitol. I got it at the Motherhood outlet- so it was around $80. Figured I'd sell it next fall on eBay and get some of the money back out of it.

March 5th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i havent been able to zip my coat for awhile. i'm not going to get a coat since winter is almost over and i don't want more kids. i just wear layers and leave my coat open.

March 5th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I broke down & bought one for this winter and like you, it's been unseasonably warm here too! I would say at this point, nah, just layer and leave unzipped!
March 5th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiyaRae'sMomma View Post
I got one online at Target a few weeks ago, on clearance for 17.98....but it looks like they are gone now! maternity coat at Target
One of the coats with a hood was still in stock for under $16, so I ordered one this weekend. Might not need it, but I am planning to have more kids so maybe I'll get more than a month's use out of it. It looks more like a spring jacket in the pictures, so who knows. Thanks again to everyone who commented.
March 6th, 2012, 01:21 PM
mamaleddie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oops, just missed it! Found some on sale at old navy..
Maternity Clothes: Sale | Old Navy
Glad you found something!
Toni-Ann~10
Sicily Rae~7
Yasmine Joanne~5
Aaron Michael Junior~ONE!!!! Adalyn Marie-Morrison has arrived! 11/25/2013! 34 weeks..doing well!
March 6th, 2012, 02:44 PM
greeneyedchaos's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to greeneyedchaos
I'm in PA and my coat wont fully button and looks a bit ridiculous but this winter has been so mild and now it's been in the 50s and 60s in the afternoons so I really wouldn't waste my money either.... Spring will be here any minute it seems!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search