pregnancy comments....ugh

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2012, 12:51 PM
jacks_mommy's Avatar Veteran
Okay....I know not to take these comments personally, but sometimes it's hard not to! I work in a nursing home so I often get strange comments from my residents about my growing belly.

Here are the two I received today:
1- this came from a staff member: "Woah- you're huge, are you sure you're not having twins??"

2- this came from a resident: "I really need to go on a diet before I start to look like her over there!"

Yes- I know they were both probably supposed to be "funny" and "innocent" but still, they make me a little uneasy!

Okay...i'm over it now (not really, but trying to be)

*Thank you AlexKatieAidenMommy for my awesome siggie*
March 5th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I get the "wow, you've gotten big" comment but ONLY because i'm pregnant it doesn't bother me. I love my belly haha.

What annoys me is when they say wow your baby is going to be huge! 1st of all, i really don't even look that big for how far along I am & second, i'm measuring perfectly on track for my guestation so my baby isn't desting to be a sasquatch. My belly didn't get very big with DD & she was a very big baby.
March 5th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh man, that's messed up! People are so dumb when it comes to commenting on pregnant women. I haven't received any yet, which is so surprising. I got a lot of crap from people the first time. Only thing now is, everyone assumes I am expecting my first and when I tell them it's my second they just sort of get quiet and flee, lmao!
March 5th, 2012, 01:07 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Unless you are telling someone how beautiful they look, I think all pregnancy comments are uncalled for. We know how big we are. We live with it every second of the day and hearing it from others isn't exactly something that makes me feel awesome either.

March 5th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know what you mean...I am getting the opposite comments "You're 7 months!? Wow you're SO tiny!" etc.. I steer away from making any comments to my friends/coworkers about the size of their bellies; it's not like we can control it. :/

March 5th, 2012, 01:32 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We had a big discussion on facebook earlier about this exact same thing. I hate people who say things like that to pregnant women. it is absolutely uncalled for. I think that if you can't say anything nice then just keep your darn mouth shut.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
March 5th, 2012, 01:34 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
People tell me I look tired all the time. Don't they realize that's not the look I'm going for?

March 5th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
People tell me I look tired all the time. Don't they realize that's not the look I'm going for?
I wonder what people are thinking when they say something like that. Of course your tired, your in your third trimester and also taking care of a very active little boy. I have clients tell me all the time that I look tired and I'm like well I'm working full time, taking care of a 2 year old and a husband plus I'm pregnant. I think you'd be tired too..lol.

March 5th, 2012, 01:38 PM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
eww people are dumb. I get the "when are you due?" or "how much longer?" and I say "Only 2 more months!" like, that's it, it's going really fast, I ONLY have about 2 months. and people respond "2 months!?" or "Woah, are you sure there arn't twins in there" or "Oh, you won't make it that long" as if 2 months is a long time and I'm so big I can't possibly have that much longer. I'm really not THAT big... people are just dumb and can't think of anything better to say....

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com
March 5th, 2012, 02:33 PM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ha I get the "you look tired" comment a lot also. along with most of these other comments...people

March 5th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Bella_Luna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, sometimes people just don't think before they speak! I work in a nursing home also, and some of the memory care residents will stare at my stomach. I think I detest that more than the comments.

March 5th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Lisa H's Avatar Super Mommy
I have a short torso so baby has nowhere to go but out. I get the twins comment all the time as well as the "2 more months? Really?" I don't mind anymore because I do look like I'm about to deliver at any second but people really do need to lern to keep their mouths shut.

It was my aunt's twins comment back in November when I was barely showing that bugged me.

I have a co-worker who is off on Mat-leave right now who I wish would pop in a little more often. She always has a great comment for me. There's nothing like hearing "you look great/gorgeous/fabulous" to make your day.

PS. You ladies all look great, gorgeous and fabulous!
March 5th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
People are just stupid. I was getting the "wow, you're not due until then? You look so big" type of comments and now I'm getting "wow, you don't look like your belly has grown at all in the past few months" type of comments. I can't win.

March 5th, 2012, 06:28 PM
jacks_mommy's Avatar Veteran
glad i'm not alone! On the plus side...i'm kind of glad people KNOW i'm pregnant versus the small talk of "is she just gaining weight or is she pregnant??" Thank goodness i'm past that stage!

*Thank you AlexKatieAidenMommy for my awesome siggie*
March 5th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Veteran
I thought I'd told everyone at my new job about my pregnancy, but then last Thursday one of my coworkers asked if I'm expecting. She's honestly the first person who has asked. This is my first, and my DH and I both agree that until late January I just looked chubby... now I finally look pregnant. Better than chubby IMHO.
March 6th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks_mommy View Post
glad i'm not alone! On the plus side...i'm kind of glad people KNOW i'm pregnant versus the small talk of "is she just gaining weight or is she pregnant??" Thank goodness i'm past that stage!
I am glad now that people know I'm definitely pregnant and not just putting on weight. In the beginning, you always get the stares and whispers and I want to scream, I'm pregnant you big dummy. I guess we can't win in the beginning or towards the end. And the funny thing is alot of the comments I get are from people who have been pregnant before. I want to say don't you remember when you got those stupid comments when you were pregnant, not fun huh.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search