Scary news at OB appt. today. Thoughts and prayers please.

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Today we hit the worst pregnancy roadblock yet. The growth scan revealed that Cole has a double nuchal cord, which means that the cord is wrapped around his neck, twice. A single-wrapped cord is usually not a big deal, but a double cord happens in <5% of pregnancies apparently and is much more likely to tighten up and less likely to resolve. I already see an amazing perinatologist and the fact that he was so concerned does not make me feel good about this.

So here is the game plan:
I was sent home for now and have to do very strict kick counts. If his movement decreases and if I do not get 10 in an hour, I go straight to L&D (I'm so stressed about this. He has times when he is sleeping and does not move for an hour or so at a time, and I'm totally going to freak when this happens).

I go back for another scan on Thursday and fetal stress monitoring. If nothing has changed, I come back on the following Monday for the same thing, and if nothing has changed, I go to the hospital to start getting steroid shots to prepare his lungs for a premature birth My perinatologist was comforting, but realistic. He said that I should prepare for a premature delivery, as he does not think it will come undone. It has happened, but it is rare.

I am worried and upset right now. Part of me just wants to be at the hospital now until he is born so he can constantly be monitored. I am so nervous that at any moment my baby could just suffocate...it's terrifying

DH and I ran to BRU tonight to buy a preemie outfit, the crib mattress, and some breastfeeding supplies. We will buy the breast pump tomorrow. DS's birthday party is planned for March 24th and I think we will cancel it on Monday if nothing has changed .

Your thoughts and prayers would really be appreciated right now.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
March 5th, 2012, 11:55 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Many thoughts coming to you and Cole and your entire family!
March 6th, 2012, 04:35 AM
jacks_mommy's Avatar Veteran
thoughts and prayers sent your way. Praying for the best possible outcome for you!

*Thank you AlexKatieAidenMommy for my awesome siggie*
March 6th, 2012, 04:54 AM
AmandaHugNKiss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't comment on what happens if this sort of thing is discovered - but DS2 was born with this. At term+10 or so, and an induction!

Of course, it wasn't seen until the head had been delivered and the cord was so tight that they had to cut it before he was even delivered, warning me that from the moment it was cut that I had to really go for it (in the event he shot out anyway!) because obviously his oxygen supply had effectively been cut.

He did need resus (narcan) but that was because I'd had pethidine an hour before he was born that had crossed the placenta and depressed his breathing. He suffered zero ill effects from having the cord twice around his neck.

I can understand why the drs might be a bit more aggresive if they know about it, but in my case it was an unknown quantity and everything turned out fine
.:fearless:. likes this.

DS4 has arrived! 18th May 2012. 9lb 1oz. Beautiful!

Breastfeeding, co-sleeping
March 6th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry. I will be praying for your little guy.

March 6th, 2012, 05:11 AM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How scary! I hope that everything goes ok!

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

March 6th, 2012, 05:15 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
How every scary. i dont know how i would handle that situation and information. Lots of hugs!
March 6th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't imagine how scary that is....many thoughts prayers and to you!!

March 6th, 2012, 05:56 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
I am so sorry.
When my friend was pregnant (she had previously lost a 21 weeker due to dilating way to early) they were going to let her be home but she caused such a huge fuss that they admitted her really early to help calm her nerves. Maybe you can voice this to your DR that you think being at home might be way to stressful if you really want to be admited now.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
March 6th, 2012, 06:01 AM
BeccaMenk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh my! This is my biggest fear!! If I were you I would insist on something..anything to monitor it more..and even asked to be admitted. I don't mean to scare you but I am only terrified of this at this point because my friend recently lost her baby at 32 weeks to this problem..of course she didn't know it was around the babies neck until it was to late..so thankfully you are aware and can monitor it! She stresses kick counting to all mommies now after her experience. I guess I am prob. just freaking you out but I would seriously not be able to handle just kick counting...I would be a nervous wreck..if you feel to anxious about it I would def ask for other options to monitor the baby!
March 6th, 2012, 06:24 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Praying praying and praying some more for Cole. I can't even imagine how scared you are. I think I might talk to my dr and see if he would go ahead and admit you and continually monitor the baby. Just get done what you can and let everybody else handle anything else and you just focus on those kick counts. I hope that your sweet baby boy is able to continue to remain okay in utero for as long as possible.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
March 6th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers ladies. They mean a lot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaHugNKiss View Post
I can't comment on what happens if this sort of thing is discovered - but DS2 was born with this. At term+10 or so, and an induction!

Of course, it wasn't seen until the head had been delivered and the cord was so tight that they had to cut it before he was even delivered, warning me that from the moment it was cut that I had to really go for it (in the event he shot out anyway!) because obviously his oxygen supply had effectively been cut.

He did need resus (narcan) but that was because I'd had pethidine an hour before he was born that had crossed the placenta and depressed his breathing. He suffered zero ill effects from having the cord twice around his neck.

I can understand why the drs might be a bit more aggresive if they know about it, but in my case it was an unknown quantity and everything turned out fine
Thanks so much for sharing your story. It helps me realize that there can be a positive outcome. My doc was so concerned because he still has at 8 ish weeks in me and that's a lot of time for something to happen, especially because he's going to be getting bigger I'm still clinging a tiny bit to the hope that a miracle will happen and this will resolve itself.

March 6th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey2000k View Post
I am so sorry.
When my friend was pregnant (she had previously lost a 21 weeker due to dilating way to early) they were going to let her be home but she caused such a huge fuss that they admitted her really early to help calm her nerves. Maybe you can voice this to your DR that you think being at home might be way to stressful if you really want to be admited now.
DH and I were both talking about this last night. We are both nervous wrecks. I called L&D and explained my situation. They were soo nice and sympathetic and said to come in for monitoring anytime, even if my kick counts are fine (which they have been so far). Thursday seems like waaay too long to wait for another ultrasound and monitoring.

March 6th, 2012, 06:52 AM
myfav5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also had a baby born with it twice around the neck, unknown until birth. No resus needed, natural birth. I will be praying for you Kellye and your sweet little guy. Please e-mail me if you want to chat or I can do anything for you.
.:fearless:. likes this.

March 6th, 2012, 06:56 AM
#5 = the "Newbie"
How scary, but I am glad that you have a doctor with a plan, and when in doubt call him or go straight to L &D

Barbara 38
Bill 40
Lexi 17
Jeremy 12
Dylan 9
Nathan born April 23, 2012
March 6th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaMenk View Post
Oh my! This is my biggest fear!! If I were you I would insist on something..anything to monitor it more..and even asked to be admitted. I don't mean to scare you but I am only terrified of this at this point because my friend recently lost her baby at 32 weeks to this problem..of course she didn't know it was around the babies neck until it was to late..so thankfully you are aware and can monitor it! She stresses kick counting to all mommies now after her experience. I guess I am prob. just freaking you out but I would seriously not be able to handle just kick counting...I would be a nervous wreck..if you feel to anxious about it I would def ask for other options to monitor the baby!
Don't worry you aren't scaring me any more than when I got the news yesterday and my ob told me the possible outcomes. It validates my fears that this is an emergency situation that we need to put our lives on hold for. I am conflicted about being admitted because it means being away from DS and DH a lot, but if it has to be done we will all sacrifice for our little guy. We already have a plan that if I am admitted DH will pick DS up from school every day and we will all have dinner and spend time together before they go home. My parents also offered to have Chase on the weekends so DH can stay with me, and they would bring him by of course. This is so hard! I am torn in so many different directions
JsBaby likes this.

March 6th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalaw View Post
Praying praying and praying some more for Cole. I can't even imagine how scared you are. I think I might talk to my dr and see if he would go ahead and admit you and continually monitor the baby. Just get done what you can and let everybody else handle anything else and you just focus on those kick counts. I hope that your sweet baby boy is able to continue to remain okay in utero for as long as possible.
Thank you. I think I will talk to him today about how I am feeling. He did say yesterday that he would have sent me to the hospital but his office has better diagnostic machines to monitor blood flow to and from the brain so he felt more comfortable doing the tests in his office rather than in the hospital. He really is such a great OB and I know that if I voice how I am feeling with him he will try to work something out for me.
Jennmarie and melissalaw like this.

March 6th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is your doc office close by? If so, I wonder if he would let you have a daily scan/check to ease your mind? I hope that all can work out for the best.

March 6th, 2012, 07:21 AM
ArmyWife06's Avatar Proud Army Wife
I am so sorry! Praying for a great outcome!

March 6th, 2012, 07:38 AM
aka shawna
so sorry sweets. this is really scary. i feel you on the kick count. any hestitations i would phone you doctor straight away and head to the hospital. thinking of you and yours <3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search