nudity and children

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2012, 07:55 AM
aka shawna
do you feel there should be a line drawn when it comes to your children seeing your nudity?

if so, what age would you feel it is no longer appropriate to leave the bathroom open when you have a bath, or use the restroom, etc?

post your thoughts ladies!
March 7th, 2012, 07:58 AM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Um not too sure. My oldest is 6 and we just started taking seperate baths. Because he seemed to start noticing..differences, and seemed uncomfortable and didn't want me to wash him etc. So I'd say whenever they start to notice...or feel uncomfortable. Of course, I plan on nursing publicly in front of all of my kids, discreetly of course w/ a cover up but if my oldest son catches a glimpse I'm sure he'll be fine .

And as far as being able to go to the bathroom without them barging in..yeah doesn't happen at least with my 3 year old lol!!!!

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Baby To Be Due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

March 7th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am not sure, but we haven't reached that point yet at 2.5 and likely won't for a while.
March 7th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Addyson is learning body parts so we are having to be careful especially with the DH and older brother.

ETA: That when the older brother was little and I had to go to the bathroom in public I just had him turn around. When he was old enough to potty himself but still with help I would do the same (if I could).

Our Little Miracle!
Addyson Faith - 5/5/10 @ 4:54pm
7 lbs. 15 oz. 20.5 in.

Heartstrings - Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support
March 7th, 2012, 08:27 AM
mamaleddie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All of the girls take a weekly bath where I scrub them up good and wash their hair. Other than that, the two big girls take a shower together every morning. The three year old hops in with me during the week. I'm curious to how they're going to react to a little tally whacker in the house, lol..I don't think they've ever really seen one, except maybe on baby story. TeeTee is 8 now, and is getting to big for the 'weekly' bath..I'm gonna have to start to trust her to do it herself pretty soon, lol..I just like knowing they get a GOOD scrub atleast that day, lololol..
Toni-Ann~10
Sicily Rae~7
Yasmine Joanne~5
Aaron Michael Junior~ONE!!!! Adalyn Marie-Morrison has arrived! 11/25/2013! 34 weeks..doing well!
March 7th, 2012, 08:34 AM
aka shawna
my husband's dad was a full on nudey in his own house. company or no company, he just let it hang as did his girlfriends. my hubby as a child to in his teens was left with a healthy take. he's more attracted to a natural woman's breast, rather than a doctored woman's breast as that was what he grew up seeing. i would say i was a bit more sheltered. not a bit, quite a bit actually. to the extent, i recall when i asked my mother for deordorant, she responded with you do not need that in hushed tones. thats only for big breasted women. after that i went to my friends and their moms when puberty came. because my own mom made me feel a bit awkward.

i think the body is a beautiful thing and self esteem is essential even at a young age. my daughter is 5, and i still bath with the door wide open. she's used to it and has known what boobies are since age 2. if i want privacy, i just say can you excuse me for a minute, i need some privacy. no biggie. she's getting to the stage where she wants privacy of her own, so she opts to close the door when she uses the restroom mainly for a poo or when we have company. but i want her to grow up seeing there is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of and to ask any question without getting embarrassed. i'd rather have an open relationship with her, than her have to go to her friends like i did. a friend of hers once told her that a vagina is called a bottom, so misinformation is part of it. but overall, i think its just healthy for kids to see bodies come in all shapes in sizes. not just that of a barbie. my sister still breastfeeds her almost two year old, so my kid has already been exposed to that. he just pulls her boob out when he wants feeding. my daughter just laughs when i use my breast as a squirt gun, so i'm not anticipating uncomfort on her part. but i suppose i will have to have to find some cover up when out in public.
March 7th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm pretty open about it. I leave the door open when I bath and dress. They don't view it as a big deal. This pregnancy, as my body changes they notice and ask questions. I answer them honestly. I think that goes a long way in them seeing the body changes and weight gain as a natural thing. My hope, is that if they see me feeling comfortable with my body, nomatter its size, that they will feel comfortable with theirs as well. That said, I don't go out of my way to parade around nude. I just don't bat an eyelash when they come in to talk while I'm dressing or in the tub. They understand modesty well tho. My daughter is 5 and thinks that showing her belly in public woud be sooo embarassing! Haha she won't wear a 2 ppeice swim suit, and was appolled at our neighbors girl wearing her cheerleading uotfit, which honestly, was a little raunchy on a 5 yr old. I'm not saying this right. But they are learning to be comfortable with their bodies without feeling like they should show it off to the general population. They'll jump in the shower with me and have no problem with me seeing them naked. I don't wash their privates anymore, they do that. Which makes them more comfortable. That started around age 3. But I do wash their backs and shampoo their hair.
March 7th, 2012, 09:40 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
We are pretty open about it and plan on staying that way. Granted DS is only 2 at this point.
If and when the time comes that it makes him (or this baby) uncomfortable we will talk about why first, then make changes. I don't want either of them to be ashamed of their bodies, but at the same time I want to teach them there is a time and place for nudity.

March 7th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I grew up in a house with 5 people and one bathroom. We didn't have much privacy, so I'm pretty open about it in the family. I'm getting a little weirded out having Aaron watch me change since he's so verbal now and understands a lot.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

March 7th, 2012, 10:19 AM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just a funny side note..my daughter asks me questions all the time (she'll be 4 in April).

She asks me if my stomach is going to explode (because it's getting SO big) and the other day she asked how the baby gets out of my tummy. That was a fun one. She asks when she is going to get boobies like mommy lol.

The other day my 6yo walked in on me while I was bathing. I didn't think anything of it until he tried to whistle (went woo-woo!) and I was like OMG! He said he hears daddy whistle at mommy all the time but doesn't know why. So yeah I had to pull hubby aside and tell him to knock it off lol.
chicknlittle likes this.

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Baby To Be Due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

March 7th, 2012, 10:27 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm really open and comfortable with nudity, for the most part. I have had no issues with Kate thus far, but she's not even 2 yet... though during yesterday's bath she was patting my fur between my legs saying "yucky?" (there was soap there too, so it looked weird, lol). I don't foresee having any issues changing in front of my kids and discussing body image and body changes to them. My mom always changed in front of us and neither my mom or dad would ever close the door when using the bathroom (and there was a certain age we reached where we were all whoa, sorry!! and hightailed it out of their room if we walked in, hahaha).

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
March 7th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm pretty open about nudity. I don't really walk around naked, but I'm fine with changing in front of the girls, showering with them, etc. DH is a bit more conservative and he has stopped changing in front of them for the most part, but that's also because Violet always shouts "tail!" when she sees him naked

Both my girls know the proper names for body parts and Lily asks a lot of questions about anatomy. I just answer her honestly, but in a way that makes sense for her.

She seems to know a lot for a 3.5 year old though. At my prenatal the other week she asked my NP what the stirrups on the bed were for, and before my NP could answer, she said "are they for her to put her feet up and then you can reach into her vagina to check baby?" She put that together all on her own and she was pretty proud when my NP was like "that's pretty much it, yeah"

I don't know if I have an age in mind that I'll stop changing in front of them, etc. I think when/if it gets uncomfortable for either party, then that's a sign to stop.

March 7th, 2012, 11:34 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Im pretty open with nudity and explaining things to my kids. i grew up in a very "hush hush" house and i grew up not knowing so much because of it. DH laughs at me to this day becuase he said he knew more about the female body than i did when we met, lol.

Im very open about what breastfeeding entails ( we have started prepping my 4 year old, she was aware of it with her brother, but she was only 2 at the time) we also talk to her about where babies come from. I let her think for a while they came out of belly buttons, but now that she is able to grasp concepts a bit better, we have started explaining a bit more. She knows she came out of my belly ( csection) and her brother came out of my pee pee , and that Olivia will be as well I even showed her from a magazine i had of a mother giving birth what i meant by it. Her response " yuck" haha.

i still go to the bathroom in front of both, since its usually just me and them in public anyways, and DD is getting to the point where she wants to go in her own stall, which is fine with me. So i guess thats my answer on that, she feels more comfortable on her own in that respect. But her and her brother take baths together- they are both aware they are different from each other.

i think when i start finding it weird or they start finding it weird is when i will phase it out. Kids are pretty vocal about what they are and arent comfortable with, so im sure it will be an easy transition when the time comes. i just think its one of those things as a parent you will know when the time is right for your family.
March 7th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never walked around naked. But would take a bath with the door open or shower with my boys when they are younger. The last couple of years they have become really uncomfortable seeing me change clothes. So I don't let them catch me naked. But they are 7 and 11. So I get it that they are growing up and it embbarrases them to see their mom naked. I think if they were girls they might not care. They don't mind if I am in bra and panties walking through the room. A lot of times I am in a tank and panties while pregnant. It's just comfortable. We are very open with discussing bodies.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
March 7th, 2012, 05:17 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
well my mom always was and still is a nuddy if we are staying at her house she will still call me in the bathroom to ask me something and be stark naked lol. I dont remember us being naked around my dad that much though and he was never even in underwear around us, occasionally a robe. We didn't have a brother either so there was no penis exposure. My mom is also a nurse so she was always technical with us. I think in our house it will probably be similar as Im fairly comfortable with being naked and DH is more conservative, but since we are having a boy it will be different than my experience growing up.

March 7th, 2012, 07:05 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are also open here. I leave it to what is comfortable for the children. My oldest is 11 and a boy, he is very secretive and that is fine. Julian (4) and Toryn (7) shower together and take a bath together. Julian will also still shower with me.

When Toryn was 3 and I was pregnant with Julian she asked how he was getting out, I told her he was coming out of my vagina. Julian has asked me if I am puking him out, and even though with his PDD, he doesn't "get" it....I still told him. He thinks I have ate Jax
March 8th, 2012, 05:32 AM
I could not ask for more.
Aiden just turned 3 a few days ago. He still showers with me and/or DH. Not sure when it'll stop - it's not awkward yet.

March 8th, 2012, 06:14 PM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
Jake still showers with DH or me when he wants to. I sleep naked, so he sees me on the weekends, but I generally stay under the covers. I'm with many of you here in saying that I just go with the flow in what feels right. I'm not as comfortable staying naked around DS, so I don't. But, at this point, I have no problem with him catching glimpses or showering with me. When it bothers me, or him, then we'll change.

March 9th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Devan'sMama's Avatar ♥Devan's Mama♥
My son is 2 1/2 and we probably stopped showering together (except after we go swimming) about 3-4 months ago. I'm comfortable with nudity but my son has been really obnoxious about trying to grab my boobs saying "boobies, boobies" over and over and over again... So, I felt like showering together was getting inappropriate, same for nursing recently.
March 9th, 2012, 05:11 AM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devan'sMama View Post
My son is 2 1/2 and we probably stopped showering together (except after we go swimming) about 3-4 months ago. I'm comfortable with nudity but my son has been really obnoxious about trying to grab my boobs saying "boobies, boobies" over and over and over again... So, I felt like showering together was getting inappropriate, same for nursing recently.
Sounds like he gave you the sign!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search