Weird appt

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2012, 08:22 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Had my normal weekly appt this morning.
Baby is weishing around 3LB6 OZ. The tech actually measured her twice because I questioned the first one when she said based on 30 weeks she's in the 50th percentile, and I said I'm closer to 31 weeks. Second measurement she came out a little bigger- one reason I don't put a lot of stock in what the baby measures in utero. All else was good, she behaved this time and did her practice breathing right away when typically it has taken almost the entire allotted 30 minutes.

Next after my NST, Doc mentioned that I had a few contractions during the test , and if I felt them. I didn't really notice anything. He's not worried at this point but it has got me thinking now (of course) about all the other ones I have felt.
I normally feel what I would call braxton Hicks in the afternoon-early evening. But if I force my self to relax they go away. Now I'm wondering how many I'm actually missing. I guess I don't feel contractions.
With DS I went in for an induction- had cervidil placed and according to the monitor was contracting pretty much every 3-4 minutes ( I don't remember really feeling them) then they started Pitocin about 12 hours later. I remember feeling small contractions on it all day but nothing bad, after about 19 hours on it, is when I started really feeling them and got really uncomfortable (partially fatigue too)
Anyway so now I'm worried I am going to miss early labor signs, or not notice if something starts going wrong too early.

Or it's just that every thing has been going so smoothly that I need to up my worry quotient.

March 8th, 2012, 10:39 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
when contractions are strong, you will notice them, lol. My ob always says, noone misses the birth of their child, lol.

Lots of women have contractions they dont feel. When i was 35 weeks preggo with DS, i fell down the stairs, went to the hospital to get checked and was having contractions every 1-2 minutes and i didnt feel a thing. they were able to calm them down though, since i was so early ( thank god becuase they said if they couldnt they would induce me that day!!) I had lots of contractions with DS though, they would be strong and close together and then fizzle out ( so dissapointing), and i still never went into labor naturally with him, he was induced at 40 weeks.

BH are totally normal and common in 2nd/3rd/ect pregnancies moreso than first pregnancies. But BH are just your bodies way of prepping, they dont actually do anything.
March 8th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yay for practice breathing!

I think it's normal to not always feel contractions that are smaller. Plus, labor is different for everyone. It is more normal to have small contractions with longer labors that aren't painful, or aren't even really felt. Shorter labors tend to have stronger contractions the whole time since more is happening in a short period.

March 8th, 2012, 11:11 AM
aka shawna
consider it a blessing and its completely normal to not always feel them. i remember my first time being monitored with my first, they said i was having heaps of contractions. never felt a thing and i wasn't the least bit dialated or ready for labor.
March 8th, 2012, 01:26 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess we all feel them differently. My BH haven't really bothered me with this one but with Jackson when I was induced I started having really painful contractions about 5 minutes after he broke my water. Count yourself lucky. Maybe you just have a high tolerance for pain, but I don't think you'll miss the early signs.

Glad baby girl is doing great and doing her breathing!! We are getting so close.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
March 8th, 2012, 07:23 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's pretty normal for second+ timers to have BH that they don't notice. (Even first-timers, but it happens much more to the vets!) And some that we do. It's nothing to worry about, if they're too small for you to notice then it's no big deal at all. Even the ones I do notice can be hard to tell for sure if it's a BH or if it's the baby stretching out.... I usually have to feel my belly to see if the whole uterus is hard or just a spot.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
March 8th, 2012, 08:44 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I was admitted into the hospital, I thought I was having 5-6 contractions per hour. When they hooked me up to the monitors, it turned out it was every 90 seconds! I had no idea.
March 9th, 2012, 05:21 AM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes consider it a blessing lol!!!! I feel EVERY little contraction I get which gets tiring in the weeks and months leading up to labor. Leads to a lot of extra worry too. Trust me, when they start actually DOING something (i.e. changing your cervix), you'll know!

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

March 9th, 2012, 05:57 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Thanks ladies. I do know that I have a very high tolerance for pain. I think it comes from having a bad back most of my life, my chiropractor usually can't believe what I put up with before I come in. Plus I also don't like pain meds. They give them to me, I may take one or two at night to help sleep if something hurts then quit.

March 9th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If it helps, I have little contractions all the time that I don't notice. And I've never gone into labor on my own. The contractions that are going to change your cervex tho, yu can't miss. So I wouldn't worry.
March 9th, 2012, 11:08 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *SamF* View Post
Thanks ladies. I do know that I have a very high tolerance for pain. I think it comes from having a bad back most of my life, my chiropractor usually can't believe what I put up with before I come in. Plus I also don't like pain meds. They give them to me, I may take one or two at night to help sleep if something hurts then quit.
I actually don't normally have a high pain tolerance, but apparently in labor I do or something because when I WAS in labor I didn't really think it was bad enough to be actual labor. Both times. lol So I totally understand the fear of "missing it"..... I'm going to be hypersensitive this time!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search