My Birth Plan...Any thoughts?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By lunarmagic

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2012, 11:57 AM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
Okay so I've been working on my birth plan today with a worksheet from the hospital as a guideline, but I've never made one before so I would appreciate it if you guys could read it over and see if there is anything I have missed or should be changed in your opinion? Thanks so much!

My Birth Plan
For Rebecca Hansen

At Home
• Time contractions
• Take a walk
• Take a shower
• Load bags in car
• Call midwife
• Wait for 5-1-1
• Begin Breathing

Early Labor
• Door closed
• Derek and Mom in the room
• No IV
• No continuous monitoring
• Freedom of movement and different positions
• Massages and back rubs
• Tub
• Relaxation Breathing
• Tv or music on for distraction
• My own pillows
• Ice chips and drinks

Active Labor and Delivery
• Derek in the room (mom optional/undecided)
• I make all decisions about pain meds, may need support to stay away from them but if I really decide I need them, I get them. Noone but me suggests pain medicine.
• Continued freedom of movement and different positions
• Massages/shoulder rubs
• Breathing
• Pictures of Labor (not delivery)
• Avoid C-section like the plague
• No episiotomy
• Watch him come out

If it’s a C-Section
• Derek in the room
• Drape lowered to watch birth
• Derek gets Liam as soon as possible
• Breastfeeding as soon as possible

After Delivery
• Delayed cord clamping
• Pictures as soon as he’s out,
• Derek cuts the cord
• Immediate Skin to Skin
• Immediate breastfeeding
• Pictures as soon as he’s out

In Mom and Baby
• Derek goes to the waiting room with announcement and picture.
• Door shut
• No visitors for 1-2 hours (until I feel ready)
• Shower and Change as soon as possible
• I wear my own clothes
• Family in to visit first
• Lots of pictures of everyone meeting him
• Derek and I assist with first bath
• Breastfeeding Only No Bottles
• Liam rooming in
• Derek staying overnight
• Liam to be circumcised Derek to go with
• Cloth or pure and natural diapers
• Liam wears clothes

March 8th, 2012, 12:15 PM
mamaleddie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds good! I would maybe double check about hubby in with baby during circ..my doc wouldn't allow that..
Toni-Ann~10
Sicily Rae~7
Yasmine Joanne~5
Aaron Michael Junior~ONE!!!! Adalyn Marie-Morrison has arrived! 11/25/2013! 34 weeks..doing well!
March 8th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Looks pretty good to me. If you plan to give a copy to the hospital, then just focus that page on the parts that would occur at the hospital so they don't have to read through the labor at home, etc.

March 8th, 2012, 12:57 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree about what parts to print out for them.

A couple of thoughts. You may want to talk to your hubby about if you decide you want pain meds. A lot of women in labor will start asking for it without really meaning it, KWIM? Like saying oh this huurttsss, I want it to stop now, I want drugs, I can't do this. And often if someone is planning a natural birth they just want someone to talk them out of it and get them through it. At my birth class it was suggested you come up with some kind of key word/phrase so that the hubby knows when it's just you complaining vs. you being totally serious.

You may want to put food somewhere on there. If the hospital doesn't allow eating, then make sure DH gets you to eat a snack before you go in. You'll need fuel.

And forewarn DH that your preferences may shift during labor. We had practiced massage in birth class... yeah when labor started I couldn't stand to be touched. He tried and I had to ask him to stop right now, don't touch me, lol. Sometimes they can get miffed and confused!

Okay that's all. Looks good.
Jennmarie and speechteach42 like this.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
March 8th, 2012, 01:03 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Looks great. Just remember that things change during labor. I had a birth plan all laid out for Jackson and while I still had a great delivery and a healthy baby alot of my birth plan went out the window during labor.

As far as the circ. Our dr let both DH and me be right there while he did it. He did the circ the day after Jackson was delivered.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
March 8th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Thanks, it's definitely flexible but the hospital asks us to submit one so they can offer personalized care.

I will submit only the hospital parts to them the other parts I go over with the midwive.

I love the idea of a code word for "I really have changed my mind about pain meds" I already talked to DH and my midwife about how I might say I want some but to try to put me off cause I probably dont really mean it, but a code word is a fantastic idea.

I can't imagine not wanting a backrub lol I live for them now it's like instant relaxation for me and Ill be so upset if that doesn't work for me in labor, but thanks for the heads up.

And food yes I forgot that but I want a cheeseburger fries and a milkshake before I go in lol, no I dont know what I will want but yeah I have to ask about when I can and can't eat.

Thanks for all the tips so far keep em coming lol

March 8th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Another thing you may want to put on is about cervical checks. Do you want them whenever the hospital wants to do them? Or do you want to limit them more? Also, what about them breaking your water versus letting it rupture naturally? And also, do you want coached pushing (push and they count to 10) or do you want to let your body push on its own as it wants?

I'm asking these because you're contemplating a NCB and those are things that I consider for my births. The pushing may depend on if you get the epidural or not as well. Some women with an epi can feel the urge to push, and others can't. But in general, pushing when you get the urge is much better and reduces the chance of major tearing, etc.

Oh and on the cord clamping, I'd put how long you want to delay it for - the studies have typically been done with a delay of 3 minutes, so I'd do that minimum or you can do until it stops pulsing altogether (that was under 10 minutes for both my girls), etc.

March 8th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks shelly great ideas!

March 8th, 2012, 03:31 PM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
Sounds good! I need to make mine. This is a great reminder

}
March 8th, 2012, 04:59 PM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
It looks good to me. I agree about checking on DH going in with baby during circ. Also, as much as I enjoy "avoid C-section like the plague" you may not want to write it that way when you present it to the doctors/hospital. I put something like "no c-section unless my and/or babies life is in immediate danger"

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com
March 10th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I could not ask for more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiyaRae'sMomma View Post
Also, as much as I enjoy "avoid C-section like the plague" you may not want to write it that way when you present it to the doctors/hospital. I put something like "no c-section unless my and/or babies life is in immediate danger"
I agree. Without my energency csection with my son - he probably would of be born blue and maybe even lost some cognitive ability. To me, I MUCH rather have a csection and a healthy baby then a vaginal birth and a brain dead baby.... Csections really aren't that bad. Lol

March 10th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Aiden369 View Post
I agree. Without my energency csection with my son - he probably would of be born blue and maybe even lost some cognitive ability. To me, I MUCH rather have a csection and a healthy baby then a vaginal birth and a brain dead baby.... Csections really aren't that bad. Lol
Points taken lol and I will be re-writing it for the hospital, that wording was just to entertain me since c-section is one of my biggest fears because I have never had any type of surgery and I hate needles so bad I have to force myself not to run when I see one, but of course I would rather have my baby be healthy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search