Curious about weight and sex of baby

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2012, 12:27 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I've read some articles about boys generally being larger at birth than girls. Also, I've read their heads usually measure bigger than girls.

Has anyone had this experience or know if this rings true? Just a thought. Nothing I'd put a ton of stock into because I know all babies are different, but I have been wondering if this baby will be bigger than DS was. His head was HUGE and I am also hoping maybe she will have a smaller head! lol

What are your thoughts and experience?

March 9th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Scoobyrae1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kate was over 9 lbs. so if that is true, I am afraid of how big a boy would be for us...LOL!

Thanks jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

March 9th, 2012, 12:51 PM
JsBaby's Avatar Super Mommy
Yes! Please let me know! I'm still feeling a little traumatized from a comment made by a customer today. This lady asked when I was due and I said May 22. She said oh! I would have guessed you were sooner than that. (& then the dreaded words... you still have a ways to go! grr.. how I hate those words!)

Our baby boy measured 5 days behind at our last ultrasound. I've felt smaller than with the girls, but I must be foolin' myself. Humpf! Maybe I need to post a belly shot.
March 9th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Sarah, were you overdue, on time, early? 9 lbs is a big baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsBaby View Post
Yes! Please let me know! I'm still feeling a little traumatized from a comment made by a customer today. This lady asked when I was due and I said May 22. She said oh! I would have guessed you were sooner than that. (& then the dreaded words... you still have a ways to go! grr.. how I hate those words!)

Our baby boy measured 5 days behind at our last ultrasound. I've felt smaller than with the girls, but I must be foolin' myself. Humpf! Maybe I need to post a belly shot.
Ugh, I hate when people say that. It's not a compliment..don't they know?

Post a picture!

March 9th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Scoobyrae1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was one week early. She was also 22.5 inches long so she didn't look that big.

Thanks jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

March 9th, 2012, 02:33 PM
jacks_mommy's Avatar Veteran
My son was born 5 days before his due date, normal size head, 20.7inches long. He weighed in at 9lb 10oz. So, I would be okay if this little girl is smaller!

*Thank you AlexKatieAidenMommy for my awesome siggie*
March 9th, 2012, 03:56 PM
.Jessica.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have 2 boys 2 girls... one boy was my biggest child and the other was the smallest child. The girls were just in the middle. So I dont know how accurate it is. Sorry Im not much help. But I am hoping for a smaller baby this go round. maybe like 8lbs even??

March 9th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm measuring slightly smaller this time around compared to when I was pregnant with the girls, so we'll see.

DH was over 10lbs and he was bigger than all his sisters. His sisters that have both boys and girls always had boys that were slightly bigger as well.

My half-brother was smaller at birth than either my sister or I, but we have different moms. My mom is way more petite than his mom though, but my sister and I were bigger (my sister was 8lbs something and I was 9lbs, 8oz - my half brother was 6lbs something). My sister was 2 weeks late, I was 2 weeks early and my brother was right on time.

March 9th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I have a brother and a sister and we were all within 2 oz of each other. Talk about growing a certain sized baby! We all came within our due dates EXCEPT my brother. I think he was a little early, but my mom might have had her due dates wrong too. This was the early 70's.

I have friends and their girls were smaller at birth. I only have one friend that had a bigger girl than her boy, but her boy had a small cord and was 5 lb 10 oz at 40 weeks. He just wasn't growing on the inside.

March 9th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Generally I think this is true, which you will see if you look at percentiles of each sex using the same measurements. For instance, for a 8lb baby with a 37 inch head circumference (which my son had) and 20 inches long you get the following percentiles:

Boy -
Length = between percentile 50 and 75
Weight = in percentile 25
Head Circumference = in percentile 75

Girl -
Length = in percentile 75
Weight = between percentile 25 and 50
Head Circumference = in percentile 90

Just wanted to give an example for anyone that gets confused about percentiles. Especially notice how the weight percentile doesn't differ that much, yet the head percentile does by a lot! You could extrapolate from this that a female child from the same mom will in fact have a smaller head then a male child. Of course, percentiles don't tell you what to expect from the same mother, but it looks like it is generally true. Especially for head size. Good news for you! Bad news for Shelley, lmao
JsBaby likes this.
March 9th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Interesting! Thanks for that!

March 9th, 2012, 06:09 PM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I sure hope the boy's having bigger heads part is a rumor bc DH has a gigantic head and I'm afraid his son will be the same!
March 9th, 2012, 06:22 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My oldest BOY weighed 6lbs, he was born at 34wks
My middle DAUGHTER and youngest BOY both weight 7lbs 14oz and were full term.

Soooo....I don't see me having a pattern much

PS, my oldest, Ethan, has kept that tiny skinniess to him. He is 11 and weighs MAYBE 70lbs on a good day, most of that is in height. He wears an 8 in pants for waist but has to have a 14 for length....thank GOD for adjustable waists and belts!!

ETA: My 7 yo daughter is almost 70lbs and wears a size 10 pushing into a 12 in waist but an 8 in length lol.

Last edited by .:fearless:.; March 9th, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
March 9th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MJ* View Post
Generally I think this is true, which you will see if you look at percentiles of each sex using the same measurements. For instance, for a 8lb baby with a 37 inch head circumference (which my son had) and 20 inches long you get the following percentiles:

Boy -
Length = between percentile 50 and 75
Weight = in percentile 25
Head Circumference = in percentile 75

Girl -
Length = in percentile 75
Weight = between percentile 25 and 50
Head Circumference = in percentile 90

Just wanted to give an example for anyone that gets confused about percentiles. Especially notice how the weight percentile doesn't differ that much, yet the head percentile does by a lot! You could extrapolate from this that a female child from the same mom will in fact have a smaller head then a male child. Of course, percentiles don't tell you what to expect from the same mother, but it looks like it is generally true. Especially for head size. Good news for you! Bad news for Shelley, lmao
Great...I think both Lily and Vi had head circumferences around the 50/60 percentile for girls. At least it's my 3rd kid, so things have to be stretchier down there by now, right?

March 9th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Grady had a 15 inch head and it was my first baby!!! I did tear, but I'd be okay with a 14 inch head on this girl! Fingers crossed!!

March 9th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
Grady had a 15 inch head and it was my first baby!!! I did tear, but I'd be okay with a 14 inch head on this girl! Fingers crossed!!
I just checked the girls' records - I can't find the measurement from birth for either one, but at their 2 weeks appointments Lily had a head circumference of 13.9", which was 30% (for girls) and Vi was 13.98", which was 56%ile (for girls).

DH just made the baby an avatar on the Wii and it has a giant head...he thinks it is hilarious and now my vagina is quaking with fear
Jennmarie likes this.

March 9th, 2012, 07:41 PM
That's tiny! I'm glad DS just popped out fast and I wasn't pushing for hours with that huge head!

March 9th, 2012, 08:16 PM
alilangel7's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, Mckenzie had a smaller head, and I am hoping this baby boy does too.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my beautiful siggy!

March 9th, 2012, 09:03 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmm. Kate was 7lbs with a smallish head, 3 days before my due date. (Devin was born at 35.5 weeks, so we don't know what he would have been at birth... but he was tracking to be a 7lber too).

I was 8lb 4oz at birth, my brother was right around the same. BUT I was slightly overdue (mom went into labor spontaneously) vs his scheduled c-section at 38/39 weeks, so he might have been a 9lb baby. No clue on head sizes.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
March 10th, 2012, 06:30 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Well i hear conflicting things all the time. Boys are generally bigger than girls, subsequent babies are usually bigger, ect.

but what happens if your first is a girl, second is a boy and 3rd is a girl? is the third smaller than the second, but bigger than the first? lol

DD was 8lbs 1 oz 21" and DS was 9lbs 4oz and 23", so the baby got bigger the second time around and the boy was bigger both rang true for me. But i also had a girl first, so maybe the results arent accurate, lol

My mom had 5 kids- 7lbs14oz, 8lbs 1oz, 9lbs4oz, 8lbs 4oz and 10lbs 14oz
SO you can see it was just random for my family lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search