I Promise! This is the LAST time...

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dream2bemommy22
  • 3 Post By amylynne01

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2012, 05:02 AM
JsBaby's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm going to as you about Car Seats!!

I was set on buying an infant car seat that went to 30 pounds versus one that went to 22 pounds. The lady at BRU said don't worry about a 30 lb car seat. Most babies will outgrow the length before the weight. She said a normal 1 year old weighs around 20 pounds, so the 22 lb car seat is sufficient. She said who wants to carry around a 30 lb baby in a 10 lb car seat? Get the 22lb and then do the converter around 5-6 months.

UGH!! Now I'm all confused again!! I thought I had this all researched!

If you have or bought an infant car seat, please tell me if weight was a deciding factor for you. Is there other reasons to look at the bigger weight than getting by longer? Is it worth the extra money to get a car seat that goes to 30 lbs?

Thanks Much!!
March 10th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got the 30 lb seat because I still want the conveniance of a travel-system type carrier; but I plan on rear facing for longer than a year. I don't know the exact rules; but I know that length isn't nearly as important as weight; baby/kiddos can always just fold their legs up or do like my DS2 liked to do and hang them over the side. (I didn't rear face him longer than a year; but he just likes to sit spread eagle. Lol... He still likes to sit in weird positions in the car.) So, I guess it depends on your plans. If you know you will want to turn your LO forward facing as early as possible and change seats; then the 22lb seat would work. But I do want to say that American Academy of Pediatrics has changed their recommendation to say to rear-face until at least 2 years old. And I don't think anyone minds the car seat questions!! Its one of the most important baby purchases we make! And I'm really glad that there is SO much more emphasis on safety now than when we were kids!

March 10th, 2012, 06:03 AM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennmarie View Post
I got the 30 lb seat because I still want the conveniance of a travel-system type carrier; but I plan on rear facing for longer than a year. I don't know the exact rules; but I know that length isn't nearly as important as weight; baby/kiddos can always just fold their legs up or do like my DS2 liked to do and hang them over the side. (I didn't rear face him longer than a year; but he just likes to sit spread eagle. Lol... He still likes to sit in weird positions in the car.) So, I guess it depends on your plans. If you know you will want to turn your LO forward facing as early as possible and change seats; then the 22lb seat would work. But I do want to say that American Academy of Pediatrics has changed their recommendation to say to rear-face until at least 2 years old. And I don't think anyone minds the car seat questions!! Its one of the most important baby purchases we make! And I'm really glad that there is SO much more emphasis on safety now than when we were kids!
We barely made it to 1 year before turning Lilly. She screamed bloody murder the entire ride. Plus my kiddos are on the tall side so it was so uncomfy. I just can't see going 2 years for us.

}
March 10th, 2012, 06:16 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
well i have 2 experiences.

My first DD was a peanut, 16lbs at 1 year, i was able to carry her around until about 10-11 months in it, then i just left it in the car for a few more months until we got a convertible carseat.

DS was a chunk. he was 23lbs from about 7 months and up. I kept him in our infant seat until he was 1 though, and then switched him to a convertible. But i was just able to leave the seat in the car.

I LOVE our infant seat though. I have the chicco keyfit 30, its very easy to use, and comfy for the kids. I love the inserts it comes with ect. So i always tried to get the most i could out of them. But had i only had a seat that went to 22lbs, DS would have only gotten about 6 months out of his.

I personally prefer infant seats for infants over convertible seats, but really you can do either after a certain weight point in most seats. I just like my babies to be bigger before i put them in it. my personal preference.
March 10th, 2012, 06:22 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydiva76 View Post
We barely made it to 1 year before turning Lilly. She screamed bloody murder the entire ride. Plus my kiddos are on the tall side so it was so uncomfy. I just can't see going 2 years for us.

My kids are both tall too, my 4 year old can still rearface in the right seat. She is 42". DS is 27 months and still rearfaces, and his legs are not squished at all in his Safety first complete air. Legs can ,however, be squished in a rearfacing position. Its still safer than turning them too early.

My DD cried for a good time, between 2 1/2 and 3 in the car, but i dont think it had anything to do with rearfacing, and everything to do with her just being stubborn. Once i bought a kids song CD for the car, she just stopped crying. She was still rearfacing and stayed that way until 3 1/2. So clearly the way she was sitting made no difference. Plus kids dont know any different than to rearface if you just dont give them the option.

I honestly hope they change it from a recommendation to the law soon.
kemper2.0 likes this.
March 10th, 2012, 06:28 AM
amylynne01's Avatar One happy mama
Lurking from April DDC and Car Seat Safety. One thing to also remember is that the 22lb seats are much shorter than the 30lbs seats. Many kids outgrow the 22lb models by 3-4 months because they're too tall for them. If you want to use an infant seat longer than 6 months, IMO get the 30lb model. If you're okay with using a 22lb seat for a very short amount of time, get the 22lb seat. If you want to use it longer, get the 30lb model. The idea that an average 1yr is 20lbs and that a 22lb seat is sufficient is not entirely accurate because a kid can outgrow a seat by weight OR height, and height can be carried in the torso or in the legs. A leggy kid will get more time in an infant seat than a long torsoed kid. It really is hard to guess now what your child will be like, so I always planned for worst case scenario.

I bought a Graco SnugRide 30 for baby due next month. We had the same seat (called a different name) for my first 2 DDs. DD1 outgrew it by height at 16 months (runs 60% for height and weight). DD2 used it full time until her 1st birthday, but I don't know for sure when she outgrew it because we stopped using it (runs 25% for weight and 50% for height). Both of my kids have short torsos, so we can get a little more life out of car seats than kids with long torsos.

Good luck with your decision!
March 10th, 2012, 08:28 AM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
I didn't worry about it when I bought mine because I just liked a 30 pounder anyway, but I would still do that again because I guess even if I don't use it the whole time, Im not saving that much money getting a 22lb. And if I can use the 30 longer then it's actually a better value. I also agree with the other girls that even though you are still using the seat with a 30 pound kid doesnt mean you are carrying them in it so I wouldnt worry about that factor.

March 10th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it's all just preference. Our Chicco is the 22lb one, which is fine with me since I typically switch to a convertible seat by 5 or 6 months anyway. An infant seat (whether a 22lb or a 30lb one) does have a height limit that has to be followed and many kids will outgrow it in height before they do in weight (for either weight maximum).

A convertible seat has higher height and weight limits, so that's really when you get kids crossing their legs, etc.

Lily is tall for her age - she's 41.5" and 3.5 years old (so 90 something percentile) and she still rear faces in a convertible seat. Violet is slightly above avg. height for her age (34.4" at 23 months) and she still rear faces as well.

March 10th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My DD has always been in the 90-100% percentile. She outgrew her infant carseat around 8-9 months. At one year she was 25 lbs and I would NEVER had wanted to carry her around in that infant carseat. I could barely carry it as long as I did. We RF'ed in a My Ride 65 first which was a great transition seat & then I got my Complete Air which is what she is still in (the My Ride in DH's truck) at 2 years 4 months & she's around 40lbs 3 1/2 feet (maybe more) tall.
March 10th, 2012, 06:36 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's just preference to me too. I rarely, if ever, took our infant seat out of the truck.... maybe to bring it in the house when she was super tiny, but I stopped doing that when she was only a month or two old (but then she hated being left in the seat, she'd start crying soon as the car shut off so the sooner I got her out the better!!). So for her a 22lb model would have been just fine. I do however like my infant seat (it's a Graco Safe Seat - no longer sold, but it's similar to the 30lb Snugride). I switched her to a rear-facing convertable at around 9 months old, but she's short and low in weight.... she probably outgrew the infant seat by height at around 18 months of age, maybe more, lol.

When your child moves from an infant seat to a convertable seat they should still be rear facing. But there are a ton of great convertable seats on the market that will last your child a long time both rear and forward. So really it's up to you as to when you want to make that purchase, when you want to swap out the car seats, if you use the infant seat enough to make it worthwhile. Though what was said about kids outgrowing the infant seats by height first is definitely true for most kids. The 30lb model will give you more time to make that switch... the 22lb model may force you to get a new seat before you really want to. Or it may be just fine. It's just so hard to say ahead of time!

Personally I say get whatever one you like best and can afford.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
March 10th, 2012, 08:29 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My others were either not or just barely 20lbs at a year. I have a few friends at work that have 30lb models of seats and have babies that are between 12-18mths still sitting in them. It is up to you what you want and feel comfortable with. Just because they are in a bucket seat (carrier) doesn't mean you have to carry them around in it. I start leaving it in the car once they are sitting up on their own typically.
March 11th, 2012, 06:20 AM
pfmommy07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to pfmommy07 Send a message via MSN to pfmommy07 Send a message via Yahoo to pfmommy07
I just wanted to add that the people are BRU are actually instructed NOT to give you "advice" like this. They are NOT trained techs so they can't accurately tell you anything about the seats. I would go with your gut. We had the SR22 for our oldest, and he outgrew it before 6 months. At almost 5 he is 42ish inches and 40ish pounds. Very avg boy really.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!

March 12th, 2012, 06:48 AM
JsBaby's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks Ladies!! You are my experts!! After reading your posts I decided to stick with my original decision and go with the weight limit of 30 lb.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search