pica cravings during pregnancy

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By imdawn

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So until I just found an article, I had no idea this is what I have. I have been craving ice water like crazy. but it's mostly the ice I want in it. This last week I have bought three ten pound bags of sonic ice and consumed it. I told my OB and he said that usually can mean an iron deficiency. He looked at my lab from two weeks prior but it was fine. He said iron is good to take anyway from here on out and prescribed me some. After a few days my cravings for ice are a lot better. But not gone. Since it's getting me to drink tons of water I don't mind. As long as the crazed cravings have calmed some.

When I looked this up I found it to be called pica. I have heard of it before, but didn't realize pregnant women develop it sometimes. One lady I read loves ice and the smell of the car AC. I have found that as well. I wouldn't have even made the connection unless I read it. We have had a few really hot days here and ran the AC a bit in the car.

Anyone else have pica during any of their pregnancies?

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
March 10th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've never had it, but it's pretty common when pregnant. I think most women with it like to eat dirt, cardboard, paper, etc. It's usually because you're not getting enough of some type of nutrient, not just iron.

March 10th, 2012, 08:37 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never had it, but as Shelley said, it is pretty common. Not just with ice though, but the other things she mentioned as well. Make sure if your cravings move on, you say something!
March 10th, 2012, 09:34 PM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
My hairstylist had the exact same thing. It was even Sonic's ice she wanted! She ended up having some other issues as well as iron deficiency.

When you were talking about having an ice craving, I thought about the what she had told me. However, I didn't want to spout off anecdotal evidence that could just make you worry for no reason.

Glad the iron is helping some!
morris126 likes this.

March 10th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was thinking pica was the things you mentioned. I didn't think ice counted. I believe it was a baby center article that included it.

I have always liked Sonic ice! I thought about it because it tends to be easier on my teeth than the ice my freezer crunches up in the door.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
March 11th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Add me to the list craving Sonic ice as well, but I also have a fruit craving constantly so my treat is a strawberry slush from Sonic on occasion. It combines them both into one!
March 11th, 2012, 06:29 AM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
Sonic ice is the best

March 11th, 2012, 06:54 AM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been craving ice too! I didn't really think anything of it, I guess I should mention it at my appt. this week.

[IMG][/IMG]

March 11th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've always loved Sonic ice..but didn't worry much about it since I knew I didn't quite get enough water anyways. I've never said anything to the doc about it. I have smell cravings too..also didn't think about that being pica-related; but it makes sense. Certain smells of things like lotion/soap/all purpose cleaner smell so good to me I *think* (and ONLY think) man I wish I could eat this it smells so good. I just have a couple of favorite smells that I indulge in a couple of times a day though-a lotion at work and my spearmint pillow spray at night.

March 11th, 2012, 01:40 PM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had any pica like cravings but I had a coworker who wanted to eat paper for some reason when she was pregnant. I think it's pretty common. I do like to eat ice all the time, even when I'm not pregnant. We don't have Sonic here though so I don't know about their ice.
March 11th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Veteran
When I was a vegetarian (and not pregnant at the time) I craved chalk. After I started eating meat again, this craving went away. I haven't had any pica cravings while pregnant. I think all of the prenatal vitamins have been really good for my overall well-being.
March 11th, 2012, 04:39 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
i didnt have it, but my mom recently had dealt with this ( not pregnant just iron deficient) once she got her iron levels under control the cravings just stopped. It was weird, she would literally eat cups of ice all day and now she never does.
March 12th, 2012, 11:16 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had any cravings like this but my secretary craved dirt and it turned out to be an iron deficiency.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
March 12th, 2012, 05:42 PM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
I never knew ice was part of PICA, as ice is actually edible. I thought PICA was only when you ate/craved things you are not supposed to eat, like others mentioned dirt, paper, that kind of stuff. I also find it interesting that iron deficiency makes you crave ice?? Ice is just water...how does that help iron?! So weird. Glad at least you are craving ice and not DIRT!

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com
March 12th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiyaRae'sMomma View Post
I never knew ice was part of PICA, as ice is actually edible. I thought PICA was only when you ate/craved things you are not supposed to eat, like others mentioned dirt, paper, that kind of stuff. I also find it interesting that iron deficiency makes you crave ice?? Ice is just water...how does that help iron?! So weird. Glad at least you are craving ice and not DIRT!
I've had it with each of my pregnancies, including this one. Horribly. I cosume lbs of ice it seems like. I have low iron while I am not pregnant and take an extra supplement of iron during pregnancy as well as a prental that has extra iron...Ice is one of the most common pica cravings. You would think ice is "just water" but in reality it got to a frozen state by being exposed to gases and chemicals in your freezer...when you experience symptoms of pica you're simply trying to compensate for a deficiency that you have and you can find that "fullfillment" in eating a wide variety of things.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search