Dialated already?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Sunshine0918's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I posted this on the FB page over the weekend but for those of you that didn't see I got a surprise trip to Labor and Delivery on Friday. I went to the doctors office for my regular checkup. Got me hooked up to the monitors for a non-stress test and told me I was contracting (I had no clue!) so they sent me to labor and delivery. Gave me a bag of IV fluids to stop them but it didn't work so I had to get a shot of terbutaline. That finally stopped them and I got to go home.

My question is, my OB asked the nurse to check me and she said I am a fingertip dialated but at 32 weeks, that was pretty normal especially since my cervix is still thick. Has anyone else been checked yet to see if they are dialated??

Also, any BTDT mommies go into preterm labor and have it stopped? If so, did it happen again or were you able to carry to term? Were you put on bedrest or any meds for the duration of the pregnancy? I have to call my doctor tomorrow to get an appointment and see what he wants me to do so I was curious what I could expect.

April 2014

My chart: My Ovulation Chart
March 11th, 2012, 02:58 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
I was checked on friday ( almost 29 weeks) and i was closed.

But with my DS i was checked at 35 weeks and was 1-2cm, and with DD at 36 weeks i was 1 cm, never checked before either of those two appts for them though. I never went into labor with either of them by 40 weeks though. My friend walked around from 35 weeks on at 5cm dialated, and was a scheduled csection on her due date. My mom went from 0-10 the day she gave birth with all 5 of her kids. You just never know.

A lot of women give birth at 36 weeks and on, so you arent too far off, it could just be your body gearing up for an early labor, or it could mean nothing at all.

At 35 weeks with DS, i was contracting every 1-2 minutes and becuase of his size ( 7lbs at 35 weeks) and the fact that i was already a 1-2, if they couldnt get my contractions to stop, they wouldnt have stopped my labor, but luckily it did stop on its own.
March 11th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I actually went into l&d last night to be monitored and I was contracting a ton and in preterm labor. They gave me the shot to stop it. I was 2.5 cm dilated. I go back tomorrow to start steroid shots and more monitoring.

My doc said its normal to be a little dilated at this point and that some women go from like nothing to 10 fast, while others take months to go from like 2 to 4. HUGS I know it is stressful even despite reassuring words. When it is your body and your precious baby you can't help but worry. Keep us updated!

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
March 11th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad the terbutaline stopped the contractions! Like Shannon said, once you hit 35 weeks they'll usually just let you go into labor at that point rather than try to stop it. So, at worst you'd have 3 weeks getting the shots, etc before they'd stop them and just see what happens.

With both Lily and Violet, I was dilated to a full 1 and partially effaced before 35 weeks, but I wasn't having contractions or preterm labor. I delivered Lily at 39 weeks and my last appointment before that was a few days prior and I was about 2cm at that appointment. With Vi, I was 5cm and 100% effaced from the start of labor when my midwives checked me, so I progressed that far without feeling anything (she was born at 38w, 3d). So, it's not abnormal to be dilated a bit at this point, even for first timers. It's not abnormal to not be dilated though either.

A mom in Vi's PR was having tons of early labor with her 2nd baby a few months ago and got the shots numerous times to stop labor. They stopped doing it at 35 weeks and she didn't deliver until 40weeks plus a few days, so early contractions/dilation don't necessarily mean baby will come early.

March 11th, 2012, 04:54 PM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
Glad they were able to stop it.

I was never checked early with DD. I probably wont be checked with this one until I am in labor.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
March 11th, 2012, 05:03 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
+1 to what everyone said. I've been dilated to 2.5cm since at least 28 weeks (that's when they noticed) and I'm at 31 weeks tomorrow.

I was in the hospital on strict bed rest for 11 days and am now home on modified bed rest for the rest of the pregnancy (or at least until 36 weeks, when they don't care if I go into labor ). The terb shot didn't really help stop my pre-term labor, so they gave me nifedipine pills, which have helped. I still take them every 6 hours. I also got the steroid shots "just in case".

For me, they were not as concerned about the dilation and the contractions in and of themselves, but I also had an ultrasound that confirmed my cervix was shortened. All of that together led to the bed rest etc. I got the impression that if the cervix hadn't been shortened, they probably would have told me not to go bungee jumping or anything but I may not have had to do the bed rest for just the dilation/contractions.

Over the past few weeks while dealing with this, I've heard a LOT of stories from my doctor, the nurses, and friends about people who went into pre-term labor and wound up having the baby right on time. My doctor says he has had a few patients who were hospitalized with pre-term labor only to wind up having to be induced at 41+ weeks.

Hope everything goes well for you and baby stays put!
March 11th, 2012, 05:36 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad the contractions stopped. I was checked with this baby at 28 weeks and I was closed. Haven't been checked since. With DS I was checked at 36 weeks and I was 1 cm. I ended up being induced.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
March 11th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to megs_babe1986
I am at fingertip dialated and very soft. I been like that since 25 weeks but my contractions would start up for a day and then stop. Its crazy how your body does! I never dialated till 34 or so weeks with my other 2 pregnancies. This one has been mine difficult one since the beginning! I wish you luck!

March 11th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad they stopped it and all is good.

I never dialated at all with my other two. I was induced at 38 weeks and with the other had a c section at 38 weeks. My cervix at that point with both boys was showing no signs of even starting to be ready.

I did ask my OB about going into labor early since I'm having a repeat c section. I wanted to know the drill if I go into labor before my scheduled day. He said 34 weeks and under they will try and stop it. Anything over 35 I will have my c section if I am in active labor.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
March 11th, 2012, 07:50 PM
disneydiva76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to disneydiva76
I haven't been checked or an exam since my very first visit.

}
March 11th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Sunshine0918's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the comments ladies. When I go to the doctor next time, I am going to ask if they think I need steriod shots just in case. I just hope that he stays in until he is ready to be born. If that is early or late, I don't care. I just know it would kill me to see him all hooked up to stuff in the NICU so I hope I can make it a few more weeks and him be ready to be born. It is weird but I have had a feeling for a few weeks that he is going to be born early but I was thinking more like 38 weeks, not 32!

I hope all us mommies faced with early labor keep all these little May babies in for a while longer!

April 2014

My chart: My Ovulation Chart
March 11th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Last pregnancy, I had issues with preterm labor. I went to L&D quite a few times. When I started having regular, intense contractions, they gave me a few shots of terbutaline and an rx for procardia to take at home. It all helped and ended up having him at 38wks 5days.

so, hang in there and good luck.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search