OT: this is happening 10 miles down the road from me. WDYT?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2012, 09:38 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
Not meant to be a debate or anything just wondering what other people's thoughts are that aren't so close to what is going on. Ill add my thoughts later but I want to see what you all think first. Have you heard about it before? What do you think is happening? I will say I find page 8 the most enlightening.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/ma...1&ref=magazine

March 13th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I remember briefly hearing about it on the news awhile back...interesting to read; but I'm not sure what my thoughts/reactions are... Thanks for sharing!

March 13th, 2012, 07:22 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
That's a long article! Do they have a shorter version? lol

March 13th, 2012, 08:17 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't read all of it, but I read the first and eighth pages. How bizarre. I had actually not heard of that situation there before this. I have no idea what to think about it.... just that it's so weird!

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
March 13th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't read much of the article, but saw this on the news. My unpopular opinion is they are faking, but I'm no dr so don't flame lol.

March 13th, 2012, 09:39 AM
myfav5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Saw this on the today show, and I live in NY. I think they are suffering from hysteria and some are full of bs.... what was your thoughts?

March 13th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Haha it is a long article but it's the best one Ive seen, all the news around here at least sides with the psycho parents and focuses on the anger and all the terrible things it could be. I find it fascinating because it is really a modern day Salem Witch trials when you read about how complex it is getting between the girls, and the families, and the town. Theres like some girls taking medicine and other girls in therapy and if the girls in therapy start to get better the girls on medicine are accusing them of having been faking the whole time, it's pretty brutal.

I think it is a mass conversion disorder (physical manifestation of stress) and I don't think any of them will be able to get better until they are all separated, and the media stops giving it so much attention. The thing that really gets me about it all is the parents and how oblivious they are. I work with teens just like these girls and their parents are just as bad. The highschools around here are so terrible and the pressure on these kids is insane and then they all come from these "broken homes" and they are keeping so much pain inside, to me it's not at all surprising that it's happening, yet the parents are all like my kid wasn't stressed I have a great kid, and they just don't see what is really going on. It's so sad for me to see in the kids I work with, and hit me even harder reading this article.

Last edited by rmarie9509; March 13th, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
March 13th, 2012, 11:48 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarie9509 View Post
Haha it is a long article but it's the best one Ive seen, all the news around here at least sides with the psycho parents and focuses on the anger and all the terrible things it could be. I find it fascinating because it is really a modern day Salem Witch trials when you read about how complex it is getting between the girls, and the families, and the town. Theres like some girls taking medicine and other girls in therapy and if the girls in therapy start to get better the girls on medicine are accusing them of having been faking the whole time, it's pretty brutal.

I think it is a mass conversion disorder (physical manifestation of stress) and I don't think any of them will be able to get better until they are all separated, and the media stops giving it so much attention. The thing that really gets me about it all is the parents and how oblivious they are. I work with teens just like these girls and their parents are just as bad. The highschools around here are so terrible and the pressure on these kids is insane and then they all come from these "broken homes" and they are keeping so much pain inside, to me it's not at all surprising that it's happening, yet the parents are all like my kid wasn't stressed I have a great kid, and they just don't see what is really going on. It's so sad for me to see in the kids I work with, and hit me even harder reading this article.
Wow. That is brutal.

It's insane how much pressure is on kids/teens these days. Especially when the family isn't stable. Whether this is a psychological/physical reaction or a cry for help or attention I think to me it means that something is just badly out of balance. They probably do have to separate them, since it's all feeding off of each other clearly.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
March 13th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I saw it on Anderson Cooper's daytime show a few weeks ago, it's interesting. I tend to think it's mass hysteria except that at least one teen from outside of the area has it as well after driving through the town and stopping there just for lunch. She had a seizure during the show and they had to cut away.

I also recently read that some of the girls on antibiotics were improving, which lends some credence to the theory that it is due from an infection or something. It's very weird though, but I do think that the mind can trick the body into feeling sick, having symptoms, etc and I don't think that means the girls meant to do it, it's not always something they can control.

March 13th, 2012, 02:24 PM
yeah I think it's subconscious but still mental. The doctor giving the antibiotics though admitted that he never asked about any possible stress in their lives, and after hearing about their real stories, he admited he might have been wrong and it was very likely the antibiotics were only helping in a placebo capacity. That being said, if it is conversion disorder then as long as they think they are getting better, they really are getting better.

March 13th, 2012, 09:10 PM
dee.76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have even seen this on our news over here in Australia!!!... And nope I was slack and didn't read the article either... but yeah its bizzare isnt it???

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search