Log In Sign Up

Would you refuse a c-section?


Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Twhylite21
  • 3 Post By speechteach42

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
May 1st, 2012, 09:52 PM
LindseyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern Oklahoma
Posts: 2,404
Send a message via AIM to LindseyB
I would under certain circumstances. I don't think my OB would try to do one on me unless baby or I really really needed it, but if I didn't work with her and was just a stranger and she offered me one I'd most likely say no unless baby or I was in jeopardy.

Especially if it was something like I'd been ruptured just a little over 24 hours, labor was progressing slowly, etc. I try to make sure and tell my patients when I think its a silly reason that they CAN say no and keep trying if they want. I don't think alot of people are comfortable speaking up to their doc.

What would you do?
__________________
"What I do today must be important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it."
-Author Unknown


[

FOLLOW ME @ http://www.sweetnsourmom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
May 1st, 2012, 10:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 19,074
I would refuse unless it was something serious like complete placenta previa, placental abruption, etc. It'd have to be something pretty major to get me to consent.
speechteach42 likes this.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
May 1st, 2012, 10:07 PM
LindseyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern Oklahoma
Posts: 2,404
Send a message via AIM to LindseyB
Ya if blakelys heart rate was way down for a prolonged period of time (we don't like to see more than 10 minutes) then I probably would. I've seen too many bad things happen. BUT, only if I thought it was serious enough. Decels of the heart rate don't bother me, only ones that won't resolve with intervention. Then of course things like abruption like you mentioned.

My OB's daughter had a dislocated hip from being delivered breech so I would have an external version if she was breech and then consent to c/section if it didn't work. Luckily shes vertex.
__________________
"What I do today must be important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it."
-Author Unknown


[

FOLLOW ME @ http://www.sweetnsourmom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
May 1st, 2012, 10:42 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ohio
Posts: 11,295
I know that my MW wouldn't do one unless it was medically needed. Just because my water breaks doesn't mean I am heading in right away to L&D either. Considering I am at 4cm already, I know labor would be right there, however...I hate that stupid 24 hour rule and not knowing more that is what got me induced with my daughter almost 8 years ago.

So yes, more than likely unless it was a bad situation I would be refusing a cs.
__________________
Ethan Michael 6*13*2000, Toryn Elizabeth 6*18*04, Julian Alexander 2*8*08, Jaxson Lea 5*4*12
Married to my best friend since 3*26*12
Reply With Quote
  #5  
May 1st, 2012, 11:51 PM
Lisa H's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 650
My dr. is really good about not suggesting anything unless he feels that it's necessary. He also explains his reasons for suggesting things and makes sure I understand before allowing me to make a decision.
I feel pretty confident that if he suggests it, I won't refuse. A dr. that I haven't worked with before would be a different story though. I would be asking a lot of questions and I would need to be sure that it was really necessary before I consented to having my baby cut out of me.

Incidentally, the percentage of births in BC that end in a c-section is approximately 25% but in my area it's only about 17% which makes me more confident that it won't even be suggested unless medically necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
May 2nd, 2012, 06:52 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 16,621
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I would refuse unless it became dangerous for E.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #7  
May 2nd, 2012, 06:56 AM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,965
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
Refuse unless it is major issue like prolapse cord or heart rate down for a long period of time not just some decells.

If my water breaks at home and I don't go into active labor right away I have thought about lying to give myself an extra 12 or so hours so they don't start pushing C section so quick.
__________________




http://lindseysphotography.com/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
May 2nd, 2012, 07:42 AM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,263
(This is coming from a mom who had an emergency c/s with DD and a repeat c/s with DS)

If my OB said it was medically necessary I would have one in a minute. If it's for convenience for them or me, forget it! It's amazing to have a baby, regardless of how they get here!
__________________

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!



My Blog
Reply With Quote
  #9  
May 2nd, 2012, 09:45 AM
jacks_mommy's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 461
I wouldn't refuse a c-section. I am going to have my second c-section and am totally okay with it. I trust my doctor and her recommendations. She was allowing me to try a v-bac but with my history, the risks are greater for complications for me with a v-bac vs. repeat c-section. So- I'm totally okay with it knowing I have a great OB on board.
__________________

*Thank you AlexKatieAidenMommy for my awesome siggie*
Reply With Quote
  #10  
May 2nd, 2012, 10:26 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 4,037
I would seriously question why they thought it was necessary. If it was an unknown OB telling me to have one I would refuse unless it was really serious, I'd want to really talk it out. If my midwives were recommending one I know they would be really serious, they don't suggest things for no reason and tend to be really laid back and intervention-free. Although if the baby was clearly in distress I wouldn't care, I'd be freaking out, just get the baby out now.
__________________



2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
Reply With Quote
  #11  
May 2nd, 2012, 11:00 AM
pfmommy07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Batavia, NY
Posts: 1,443
Send a message via AIM to pfmommy07 Send a message via MSN to pfmommy07 Send a message via Yahoo to pfmommy07
My OB won't suggest a c-section unless its really the best option. I don't blindly trust him. He has taken great care of me through 2 pregnancies, and not once suggested a c-section with my pre-e induction I had with DS2.
__________________

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!

Reply With Quote
  #12  
May 2nd, 2012, 11:26 AM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,579
I trust my OB...around here, they are very pro-natural birth and have a ton of midwifes that work directly with the hospital...that being said - I have a scheduled csection because my baby is breech...I have done 5 chiropractor appointment to try to get baby to turn (I have another one on Firday), I will try an external version to try to get baby to turn, but if baby doesnt turn with all that, then I HAVE to have a csection because they wont deliver a breech birth vaginally...its very very hard to accept...
__________________
THANK YOU Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggie
3
Reply With Quote
  #13  
May 2nd, 2012, 11:32 AM
therightgirl08's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 626
Yes unless there was a serious medical reason behind it I would refuse.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #14  
May 2nd, 2012, 12:23 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 20,289
im not afraid of having a csection, i would much rather prefer another vaginal delivery, but if baby or myself was in danger, i would absolutely go with it. But if they give me a lame reason, like baby is too big, ect then i would refuse it. I know i can birth a big baby.

im nervous becuase i will most likely NOT ever meet my doctor before i deliver, my OB is like 1 of 16 on call doctors at the hospital i deliver at, so my chances arent high. I know he is on call this Monday, but i dont think my chances are high to go into natural labor at 37 weeks, lol. Im not too concerned about it. i know my body can handle it, and i hope they look at my past history to see that the first csection i had was not becuase my body couldnt handle labor, it was for a breech baby and my vbac was flawless.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
May 2nd, 2012, 12:59 PM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 0
Unless there was a really good, medical reason I would refuse. I'm not having one just so some doctor can make his tee time, KWIM?
__________________
Thank you very much Meganpixel for my fabulous siggie!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
May 2nd, 2012, 01:34 PM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,245
I would not and did not refuse the two I had. I never even considered a version or VBAC.
__________________

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
May 2nd, 2012, 01:43 PM
JennLynn_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pickering, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,208
I was hoping for a VBAC, but now i'm overdue and my OB is going to re-check me tomorrow and now it looks like another c-section on Friday

I'm upset, but i'm not going to refuse. I trust my OB
__________________



http://JenniferDow.SBC90.com
Reply With Quote
  #18  
May 2nd, 2012, 03:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,707
I agree with Shelley. If it was something super serious, I trust my doctor. I wouldn't do it just for failure to progress or something like that. If baby was breech I would do just about anything safe to get baby to turn and/or look for a doctor that delivers breech babies (the right kind of breech can still be delivered vaginally with the right doctor).
__________________

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
May 2nd, 2012, 04:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 19,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by speechteach42 View Post
Unless there was a really good, medical reason I would refuse. I'm not having one just so some doctor can make his tee time, KWIM?
My aunt actually had a c/s so her doctor could make his tee time. This was back in like 1980. She'd been laboring for about 13 hours (her first child) and was pushing and the doctor rammed my cousin back up her birth canal and did a c/s because it was 415pm on a Friday and he wanted to make his golf game. He actually said that out loud. She ended up suing the hospital and the nurses and everyone testified on her behalf. Crazy crazy!!
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:28 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0