Question for Breastfeeding mommas about paci's

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2012, 07:27 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How many of your babies are taking a Paci? My dr thinks part of Jacob's problem is that he is using me as a paci. I have tried every paci under the sun and he still won't take one. I think he would sleep better if he would take a paci. But he just wants to use me as a paci. I just read the Happiest baby on the block thanks to LindseyB's recommendation so we shall see tonight how Jacob sleeps. I'll let you guys know.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
May 30th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have found its really hard to get some (most) bff babies to take a paci. Owen is my only one out of 4 that takes one. Has he found his hands yet?
May 30th, 2012, 07:31 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My Kate is still a paci baby (we need to get her off it, but no idea how to do that at night). I was lucky in that she took the paci as a newborn without an issue. I really didn't originally want to give her one, but she was like that... she wanted to constantly be nursing (and then would get angry that there was still milk coming). I'm interested to see how this baby will react.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
May 30th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sometimes when Owen won't take his, I dip it in the gas drops. They are sweet, and he likes that. he takes it better that way. then i keep my finger in the middle of the slight. I don't know why he likes thY, but he does. Lol I hated being used for a paci, so I feel for ya.
May 30th, 2012, 07:59 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jacob has not found his hands yet. DH is trying to help him..lol. He will put Jacob's hand to his mouth. I'll try the gas drops on the paci and see if that works. He will be going to daycare in a few weeks so I want to help him find somethimg beside me before then.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
May 30th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The only paci Cole takes is the Nuk orthostar. He spits all the other kinds out. Target and BRU are always out of them too so there must be something about them lol. I was almost tempted to buy the pink ones yesterday (they were out of the boy colors) because we only have one paci left here- the other one mysteriously disappeared.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
May 30th, 2012, 10:45 AM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can not get Lydia to take one. I was hoping for more sleep here because of it. but I guess that won't happen. DS took one one time, then he discovered it didn't give him milk. and refused ever since.

May 30th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Mamma J's Avatar Proud Navy Wife & SAHM
I had that problem with Aidan, and I didn't know. I just thought he was forever hungry. Once the LC told me what he was doing I broke out the pacifiers. When Abby was born, I noticed right off the bat she was doing the same thing, so I allowed the hospital to give her a soothie. When we got home though, I switched her to MAM pacifiers (it's what Aidan used).

I hope you find something that works for Jacob! I know it's not fun being used as a paci, and I know the poor little guy will have a hard time in daycare if he has no good substitute

May 30th, 2012, 02:44 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
JR takes a paci because I learned my lesson with Allison! She was a comfort sucker and when I was home I didn't mind being her paci but I couldn't stay home all the time. Because of waiting until she was a month old (like the experts said) to introduce the paci, she wouldn't take one unless she was super tired and half asleep.

I saw how JR wanted to use me as a paci while we were in the hospital and gave him a paci at less than a day old! He never had a problem with nipple confusion and it actually improved his latch! The Soothie works best for him because I can put my finger in it and he can "chew" on me for a minute to get his latch established. Then, he's content to take it until he's deeply asleep.
Sunshine0918 likes this.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
May 30th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm16_2000 View Post
J
I saw how JR wanted to use me as a paci while we were in the hospital and gave him a paci at less than a day old! He never had a problem with nipple confusion and it actually improved his latch! The Soothie works best for him because I can put my finger in it and he can "chew" on me for a minute to get his latch established. Then, he's content to take it until he's deeply asleep.
I did the same thing with Cole And the Nuk orthostars also have the little hole so you can put your finger in it. I think that's part of the reason he likes it.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
May 30th, 2012, 03:40 PM
ElizabethS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I rarely can get Brayden to take his paci....he doesn't like it...he likes the boob!

Momma to Alex (2005), Cadence, (2008), Ethan (2010), Brayden (2012), and Adrianna Elise due September 19th 2014

Stepmom to two (2006, and 2009).

May 30th, 2012, 04:26 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
im sorry, Liam comfrt sucks too, and sometimes I let him use me but I started the paci at 2 days old. I would suggest buying a bunch of different nipple shapped ones tomee tipee, avent, nuk, mam and playtex all make one as far as I know. Feed him first, dip the paci in something sweet (sugar water or gas drops) and hold it in a few minutes at a time. Sometimes it might seem like they are spitting it out but really they just havent figured out how to hold it yet. Usually if you hold it in for a while each time you offer it they will get the hang of it.

also when he does go to daycare tell them if he hasnt figured out how to take it yet that you are fine with him having one, because once he actually cant have you he might take it, and he might take it better from someone else at first so just make sure they know they can try it. When I worked at daycare we had to teach a few babies to take one because they just wouldnt settle

May 30th, 2012, 04:40 PM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
How do you know if they are using you as a paci or not?
Madison never took one and I tried with him before I found out he was starving and tonuge tied and not getting anything.
But now when awake it feels like all he does is nurse... but I remember it being the same with Madison.
I tried again the other day and he sucked on it real quick then started screaming.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
May 30th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Sunshine0918's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Luke uses me as a paci so I started giving him a paci as soon as he was born. He has never had nipple confusion and I haven't found one that he won't take. He normally only will take it when he is going to sleep and then spits it out. If I just at home, sometimes I let him use me as a paci to stimulate more milk production but obviously i can't just let him be on my boob all the time.

Lindsey, if baby is wanting to nurse all the time, you probably either have a comfort nurser or a baby using you as a paci. My LC said you can tell because at first, baby is sucking and swallowing a lot. Once baby slows down and isn't swallowing much anymore, baby is just using you as a paci because they aren't getting much if any milk.

April 2014

My chart: My Ovulation Chart
May 30th, 2012, 08:15 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey2000k View Post
How do you know if they are using you as a paci or not?
Madison never took one and I tried with him before I found out he was starving and tonuge tied and not getting anything.
But now when awake it feels like all he does is nurse... but I remember it being the same with Madison.
I tried again the other day and he sucked on it real quick then started screaming.
You can tell they are eating when they do longer sucks with a "keh" or gulping sound and you can look for the throat movement of swallowing. If they are just doing fast sucks with no noise they arent actually eating anymore.

May 31st, 2012, 06:18 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Livi takes a Tommee tippee paci. I introduced them at about a week. She had a really strong grip for them too, neither of my other two could keep a binky in this early for as long as she does.

She does try to suck her thumb, so i think she may turn into a thumb sucker, but she just doesnt have that coordination for it yet.

I do not like comfort nursing, i dont have that kind of time. lol
May 31st, 2012, 07:25 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I could tell when Kate was done eating because she'd do flutter sucking while sleeping. Long pause, light flutters, long pause. She was asleep and just gently sucking for comfort, not the long firm sucks and swallows.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
June 1st, 2012, 03:39 PM
Super Mommy
one good way to get the baby to take a paci is to have someone other then you offer it to him. I find that when I'm the one holding the baby they seem to root a bit more and wont settle unless I offer to nurse them. But when DH holds them he can get them to settle down on his own.
Twin Girls - April 23, 2012 (38 weeks)

3 angels (08, 10, 11)
June 1st, 2012, 09:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Aiden took a paci well for like a week and a half and then decided he didn't want any of that. He doesn't use me as a paci too often so that's okay. My 2 year old took a paci for 7 months. It worked well for sleeping and car rides. We have pretty much only used regular NUK pacis. I don't have the money to spend on lots of different kinds of pacis, so I guess we'll just live without. Aiden has turned into a car screamer, though, so I might have to find something for him to use for car rides so I can concentrate on driving (like I'm really going to be taking all three of my kids out in my little corolla that often )

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

June 3rd, 2012, 01:45 AM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ava used me for comfort nursing. DH put the paci in her mouth (nuk) and held it there for a minute..she was angry, but from then on, she took to it. At 10 mo, she handed it to me and didn't want it anymore.

Aria hasn't used me for comfort nursing yet, but I put the nuk in her mouth first night home and she has taken to it just fine. Hopefully it works out smoothly.

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search