How and where does baby sleep?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Cole is now in his crib in our room. He is such a wiggle worm that his snuggle nest was getting unsafe. He has reflux so it is hard for him to be flat on his back- he usually wiggles onto his side and sleeps much better that way. He sleeps sooo well when he is on my chest on his tummy- I think when he can roll over he will choose his tummy, which worries me. Does anyone know how long it is recommended that they sleep on their backs?

I didn't have any of these issues with Chase, he was happy sleeping on his back, so this is all new to me.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
June 7th, 2012, 09:07 AM
jacks_mommy's Avatar Veteran
Sofia still prefers to be swaddled and put on her back. She sleeps next to our bed in her rock and play sleeper. During the day, she naps wherever I am. Somtimes in her crib if I am folding laundry, in her bouncy seat if I am doing dishes, or on my bed if I am just watching TV. She can pretty much fall asleep anywhere as long as she is wrapped up pretty tight.

*Thank you AlexKatieAidenMommy for my awesome siggie*
June 7th, 2012, 09:30 AM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kira is still in her rock and play sleeper next to the bed as well.

Regarding the back vs tummy sleeping...I am IN NO WAY a pediatrician and this might be total crap but my friend that's a NICU nurse has told me that some babies just prefer tummy sleeping and it's just fine as long as the mattress is firm and there are no blankets, stuffed animals, bunched up sheets, etc. I think I'd run it past my ped if I were you but hopefully it's not something to stress too much about.

I also read this last night while looking into why babies flail their legs and arms so much:

Discovery Health "Reflexes and Responses of a Newborn"

"Lifting the head. When placed on his belly, your baby lifts his head and turns it from side to side. He may even attempt to crawl. His responses make it virtually impossible for him to smother when he is lying on his stomach on a firm, flat surface. For this reason, you need not worry that your baby will have trouble breathing while prone. You should, however, be sure to keep excess bedclothes, pillows, toys, and stuffed animals out of the way, and never place your baby on a mattress that is excessively soft."
June 7th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Mamma J's Avatar Proud Navy Wife & SAHM
Aidan loved to sleep on his belly...but I was afraid to leave him like that. So I kept him swaddled and laid him on his side with a sleep positioner until he was 4 months old and he could do the baby pushup move (up on his forearms).

Abby doesn't need to be swaddled, but she does like to sleep on her belly. So for the time being I lay her on her side using an inclined sleep positioner. I'll take away the positioner and let her sleep on her belly whenever she can push up on her arms. She also sleeps in a co-sleeper that's attached her her pack n play. It's right next to my side of the bed so I can reach her when she starts to fuss in the night or loses her pacifier.

June 7th, 2012, 05:34 PM
dee.76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kaelan for the first 5 weeks slept in bed with us... Sigh... He has JUST in the past week started sleeping in his own crib in our room... However, he won't sleep there unless hes on his boppy in his crib, which I am super paranoid about and will be trying to cut it out in the next few days... I sort of make sure hes not sinking into it etc etc.. Thankfully hes not a wriggly baby and stays put but it doesn't help my paranoia about it...

June 7th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Pautzie's Avatar Veteran
Weston is perfectly happy swaddled up on his back at night. I let him nap during the day on his belly though - on a very firm mattress where I can check on him frequently.

June 7th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Aiden sleeps in his cradle swing most of the time. DS2 did too. Sitting up a bit helps the reflux. Otherwise, Aiden sleeps in his bassinet, moses basket, or in bed with me. I love sleeping with my babies.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

June 8th, 2012, 10:14 AM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Right now, he is napping in his sweat peace swing. At night he starts in his pack and play...on his belly. Once he wakes up, he is in bed with me.
June 8th, 2012, 03:51 PM
lindsey2000k's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to lindsey2000k
Bryson sleeps in bed with me. I try to sneak him in the pack N play but he wakes up right away.
He likes to sleep on his side... at least I think because he always falls alseep while nursing and stays snuggled next to me most of the night.

http://lindseysphotography.com/
June 8th, 2012, 04:53 PM
fromustobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kaiden was great swaddled on his back, Maiya is not - which stinks...she's on her back in bed with me and that works, but I'm not thrilled with it...
June 8th, 2012, 07:08 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
Liam has a cradle right next to the bed and sometimes he will spend a few hours in there to start the night but once he wakes up he comes in bed with us. I never thought I would be a co-sleeper and it still freaks me out sometimes but it works so well and we get so much sleep. He sleeps on his side right against my front while I sleep on my side with his face buried in my arm pit or between my boobs lol. And when he's in his cradle he sleeps on his side up against the side as close to me as he can get

June 9th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Veteran
Aubrey will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. She sleeps in her cradle in our room on her back in a SwaddleMe swaddle blanket at night. During the day, she generally sleeps fine in her cradle unswaddled but sometimes I let her nap in the boppy pillow right next to me on the couch or in my arms. I have been having recurring nightmares that she's trapped in the blankets between my husband and I at night, and for that reason I'm way too scared to bring her to bed with us, even for a minute.
June 9th, 2012, 02:20 PM
~Always~Hoping~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jackson sleeps swallded, on his back in his pack n play, which is in our room. He usually turns his head to one side or the other so I just pay attention to which way it is and make sure to turn it each time he goes down.

June 9th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Fab-Brunette's Avatar Veteran
Holland sleeps in his crib, which is in our room, but in the morning he wakes to eat around 6am and I just let him sleep in my bed after that feeding
June 9th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynBB View Post
Kira is still in her rock and play sleeper next to the bed as well.

Regarding the back vs tummy sleeping...I am IN NO WAY a pediatrician and this might be total crap but my friend that's a NICU nurse has told me that some babies just prefer tummy sleeping and it's just fine as long as the mattress is firm and there are no blankets, stuffed animals, bunched up sheets, etc. I think I'd run it past my ped if I were you but hopefully it's not something to stress too much about.

I also read this last night while looking into why babies flail their legs and arms so much:

Discovery Health "Reflexes and Responses of a Newborn"

"Lifting the head. When placed on his belly, your baby lifts his head and turns it from side to side. He may even attempt to crawl. His responses make it virtually impossible for him to smother when he is lying on his stomach on a firm, flat surface. For this reason, you need not worry that your baby will have trouble breathing while prone. You should, however, be sure to keep excess bedclothes, pillows, toys, and stuffed animals out of the way, and never place your baby on a mattress that is excessively soft."
Thanks for this!! I am going to call his pedi too on Monday to see what she says

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search