TMI: painful sex after childbirth

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2012, 01:18 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry in advance for TMI!

I've had a lot of trouble with painful Paps prior to getting pregnant and the cervical checks at the end of my pregnancy were incredibly painful (to the point I'd try to crawl backwards on the table, etc). Sex before/during pregnancy could be painful occasionally but not all the time.

Anyway, at my 6 week postpartum check earlier this week, the OB did a Pap and I was thrilled that it didn't hurt *at all*. Like, no pain whatsoever. That hadn't been the case in years! So I was really hoping that sex would be OK.

Sadly, no. Hubby and I tried this morning (for the first time since January because of the bed rest I'd been on from February through Kira's birth) and it was a total no-go. We tried different positions, lube, more lube, and even more lube, and it still really hurt. It was like there was a raw spot up inside.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just wait and try again in a few days? I admit this was super frustrating and that probably didn't help the situation. Hubby got frustrated and then I got upset because he was frustrated and then he got angry that I was upset and it all sort of spiraled into a fight.

(Separate rant: What is with hubby getting angry at *me* because he didn't think I was communicating enough? I told him when/where it hurt, I asked him to hold still so I could kind of wiggle around to figure out exactly what hurt, I suggested multiple positions, etc but yet apparently I wasn't "keeping him in the loop" and that gave him the right to tell me there was something wrong with me. Will you guys all be character witnesses if I kill him? )
June 9th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Veteran
Sorry your having a hard time /=... I can relate.
Im eager to see what sort of advice is posted because DH and I just basically had the same problem yesterday....which resulted in an argument.
In my situation tho, sex has been painful for me even b4 pregnancy ...for the most part

June 9th, 2012, 02:52 PM
MissLoki's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliciafj1 View Post
In my situation tho, sex has been painful for me even b4 pregnancy ...for the most part
I'm lurking from the March 2012 PR...

Have you been checked for vulvar vestibulitis? It's been a sad, painful and complicated part of my intimate life for as long as I've had one. I've done pelvic reeducation which helped tremendously with the pain.

I hope you can find something that helps, I can totally relate to just how much it sucks.

*hugs*

June 9th, 2012, 06:12 PM
jacks_mommy's Avatar Veteran
are you breastfeeding? In my literature from the hospital, i said that "raw spots" or being extra dry and having more painful intercourse is more common when breastfeeding. Maybe give the OB a call and she can help you find relief..

*Thank you AlexKatieAidenMommy for my awesome siggie*
June 9th, 2012, 06:17 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I'd give it an extra week. I needed the full 6 weeks + 1 to be ready for sex and even then I was a little tender. It DID get way better with time. I'm sure it will for you too.

June 9th, 2012, 06:24 PM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
aww sorry that's no fun. I had really painful sex for a while after DS. I did have raw spots up there and it huuurt. but it did get better .

June 9th, 2012, 06:47 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh gosh after Kate was born it took me quite a while to attempt sex and then even longer for it to feel good and not a little painful. The first couple attempts really did hurt. It got better. A close friend of mine remarked the same thing.... that the first couple times really sucked but then it got better than it was before even.

If it doesn't get better, however, then I'd suggest talking to your midwife/OB about it.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
June 9th, 2012, 09:55 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you guys!! That's all really encouraging. It was just so frustrating, especially with hubby getting upset.

Wow, that really makes sense about the breastfeeding, too. I'm thirsty and feel dehydrated all the time, so of course "other places" would be more dry, too!
June 9th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sadly I'm in the same boat I miss our sex life so much- it was awesome, and like you, because of bed rest and hospitalization it had been a loong time. I'm pretty sure my body just needs a little more time. We will probably try again in a few more days with a ton of lube lol.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
June 10th, 2012, 01:41 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Did you tear during your delivery?

With DS it took me almost 13 weeks before it wasnt excrutiatingly painful to have sex, but usually it was only missionary, if we tried other postions it was just too much for me to handle. Even at my 7 week check up after i had him, the pap was so painful i was in tears and the OB told me not to have sex for a few more weeks.

Turns out they didnt sew me up perfectly after i had DS, becuase when i was having DD, they noticed a "hole" or something that they missed and only noticed becuase it was tearing apart in my labor. So that could have been why.

Just be patient and go slow it will eventually be ok.
June 10th, 2012, 07:39 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have no advice for the less painful sex part, just maybe insight as to what your husband "feels".
He is just as scared to death as you and feels WAY outta the loop no matter how much you tell him. He loves you and wants to be with you and I am sure it is frustrating for him that you are hurting because of HIM.
Give it some more time and try again

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search