Colic?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By rmarie9509
  • 1 Post By rmarie9509

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 13th, 2012, 08:37 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What exactly is it? People keep saying Jacob must have colic but noone seems to know what it is except baby cries alot.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
June 13th, 2012, 11:40 AM
LindseyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LindseyB
some doctors will be straightforward and say colic is a 5 letter word for "i don't know."

I really don't think it has to do with their bellies, because blakelys is like clockwork everyday, whether shes eaten recently or not. She doesn't have colic because she only cries hard about 30 minutes, but then she falls asleep and is down for the night. they know the characteristics of it, but not the cause. some docs think its just an immature nervous system, and they kind of get overwhelmed with all theyve learned that day. others think its an immature digestive system, etc.

blakely is 6 weeks tomorrow and even though 6 weeks is supposed to be the peak of crying, shes been an angel the last 3 days with only 30 min of crying a night. until the last few days she was fussy most of the day and then fussy or crying at night.

I hope jacob gets less fussy soon! its rough, i dread 745 which is about the time she starts screaming.

[

FOLLOW ME @ http://www.sweetnsourmom.blogspot.com
June 13th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Lindsey so glad that Blakely has let up on her crying.

Jacob will cry and then as soon as I pick him up he stops crying, so I don't really think he has colic but of course everybody thinks they know exactly what is wrong with him since he does cry alot.

June 13th, 2012, 04:41 PM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor said it is just what they call a baby that cries more than others with no explanation. I was confused because it means something completely different for horses lol and that was all I knew.

June 13th, 2012, 06:01 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
Based on what I learned in college, I believe the latest theory on colic is that it is an underdeveloped nervous system being overwhelmed and that it generally ends at 3 months because that is when the system matures.
The fact that he stops when you pick him up probably means it is not colic.

Some other reasons for excessive crying are

digestive problems -mainly dairy sensitivity (keep in mind that dairy stays in your system for up to 3 weeks so you need to be off it for a month if you want to try that)

temperature- being too hot or too cold will make baby cranky dress baby the same as you, the extra layer is only reccomended at night because they sleep without blankets

your emotions- babies are very intune with your state of mind if you are stressed they will become stressed

One theory we were taught in school when dealing with a meltdown at any age is H.A.L.T. When anyone is getting overly upset you stop and consider are they
Hungry?
Angry?
Lonely? or
Tired?
addressing those needs usually solves the problem easily.

Overall though, babies cry an average of 1-3 hours per day normally and wanting to be held is the most natural state so don't worry everything is probably fine, if hes getting fussy at the same time every day try prempting his meltdown by holding him and/or feeding him before he shows signs of distress. I bet he just loves his mommy and wants to be with you.
melissalaw and CarolynBB like this.

June 14th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Thanks for the great explanation Becky. I don't really think it's colic but all the elders in my family think they know everything..lol.

June 14th, 2012, 07:21 AM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hahah, I'm totally going to use that HALT mnemonic for dealing with my husband when he gets irrational.
June 14th, 2012, 12:20 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
lol it's so true and hungry is usually the most common culprit. Our emotions get really out of whack when our blood sugar gets too low and we usually don't recognize that has happened even as adults so its always a good idea to keep some snacks in your bag, or even just some hard candies. Slip him one when he's getting cranky and he'll never even know you're manipulating the situation hahah
CarolynBB likes this.

June 14th, 2012, 12:36 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Not sure what Colic is. Livi is a fussy baby for sure. if she isnt eating or sleeping, she is usually pretty unhappy. But i wouldnt say she has colic, just that she is spoiled, lol. She wants to be held...preferably by mom, ok always by mom.
June 16th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When Damon was a baby he had what they considered colic. He would cry every evening for about four hours straight.It was not just being fussy. It was pretty extreme. I can't remember what it was but they put him on some stomach medicine for it. I don't know if they even still do that these days. That was 11 years ago. So I guess back then his ped was leaning more towards it being a stomach problem. I need to find his baby stuff I saved and see if I can figure it out. I'm very curious what it was.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search