Another Breastfeeding Thread?

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2012, 05:38 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How long does your baby nurse? does he/she nurse from both breasts or just one? How often is your little one wanting to nurse?

At night Jacob will only nurse for about 10 minutes on one side but during the day he almost always wants to nurse longer so I let him nurse on both sides. He will usually nurse on one side about 15 minutes then I will change his diaper and he will nurse around 10 to 15 minutes on the other side. he is nursing around every 3 hourse at night and around every 2 hours during the day. I still think alot of the nursing during the day is comfort nursing. He goes to daycare next monday so that is going to be really hard on him.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
June 20th, 2012, 11:25 AM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It depends. Most times, Kira will eat from 10 to 15 minutes on one side and then be done. Occasionally she'll want the other side, too, and sometimes she just wants a 5 minute snack from one boob and that's it.

My flow is pretty fast and she's gotten to be very efficient at eating ("gulp! gulp! gulp!") so we don't nurse for a long time anymore. Looking at my anal retentive iPhone app, our average nursing time is down to just ~90 minutes total per day over 9-10 nursings.

Sometimes I wonder if that's a problem, but she seems content and is gaining weight/having lots of dirty diapers. *shrug* I'll mention it to her pediatrician at her 2 month checkup next week.
June 20th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Grant nurses off just one breast per feeding. He usually only nurses for around 5 minutes. My flow is fast and I have an oversupply, so he's gotten to be a very efficient eater, although he still chokes on my flow a lot.

I'm really not sure how often he nurses since I just nurse on demand and don't really keep track. Probably every 1-3 hours, except at night he sleeps for one 4 hour stretch.

June 20th, 2012, 05:41 PM
LindseyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LindseyB
I also have a fast painful letdown and oversupply so we do one side at a time. If sge wants to nurse again within the hour, i use same side.

She nurses less than 10 min
"What I do today must be important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it."
-Author Unknown

FOLLOW ME @ http://www.sweetnsourmom.blogspot.com
June 20th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Mamma J's Avatar Proud Navy Wife & SAHM
Abby is like clock work. She nurses every 3 to 4 hours (and that just depends on how long she naps) and for about 15-20 minutes. She only nurses from one side and then I pump the other for storage and for her two daily bottles (one at night and one in the am).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search