In the news again

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By imdawn
  • 1 Post By dream2bemommy22
  • 1 Post By dream2bemommy22
  • 1 Post By .:fearless:.

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2012, 08:42 PM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
So I dont know if any of you have seen this yet, it just got picked up nationally tonight at 11, but it broke here this morning. It's so sad for me to say this is where I live and these are the kids we work with in our youth group. None of the kids in the video are actually our kids but its our school district and the same age. However, the amazing part is the support that karen has gotten. strangers on the internet have raised almost $100,000 for her through indigogo. Anyway just wanted to share something close to home. She is going to be on good morning america and the today show tomorrow. Karen Huff Klein Bullying Video: Upsetting Footage Causes Community Outrage (VIDEO) (UPDATE)

It makes a good case for homeschooling or sending kids to private school at least because you can bet its happening more than just this one time on this one bus.

June 20th, 2012, 11:09 PM
ArmyWife06's Avatar Proud Army Wife
Omg. I could only watch a few seconds of it.....I just wanted to cry. It's so sad how awful kids can be, especially to an adult, their grandma's age!!!

June 21st, 2012, 06:48 AM
i got through 3 minutes at a time and eventually saw the whole thing. It gets really really bad by the end.

June 21st, 2012, 09:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So sad! I went to private school my last 2 years of high school, and there were plenty of bullies there as well. No school buses though. Bullies are everywhere, unfortunately.

June 21st, 2012, 10:14 AM
muffin300's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
aww that is so sad. and the really sad part is it is not rare.

June 21st, 2012, 10:16 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Yes, bullies are everywhere. Those kids are horrible. We don't even use the word FAT in our house. It isn't because we aren't aware of weight, but it is a hurtful label put on people and we don't label if we can help it.

June 21st, 2012, 10:54 AM
I hope it bets better not worse by time our kids are school age, I can't imagine what it would be like if it got worse

June 25th, 2012, 02:23 PM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarie9509 View Post

It makes a good case for homeschooling or sending kids to private school at least because you can bet its happening more than just this one time on this one bus.

As a public school teacher, I'm highly offended at your comment that this incident makes a case for homeschooling or private school. Those kids were horrible, and it has nothing to do with where they go to school. You can't protect your children from bullies by homeschooling them or sending them to private school. You protect them from bullies with good parenting. You teach them to treat others with respect and you teach them what to do when they aren't being treated with respect. No matter how much you shelter them, at some point they are going to encounter hate and mistreatment. It is their own set of skills at that point that saves them. And then, you can hope that they will even be the ones who stand up to bullies for someone else.

I'm sure I'm reading way too much in to your comment. Surely you didn't intend it to be offensive. Just know that most teachers work their butts off to create a safe learning environment. So, to take that incident, and make a general statement about the public school system is hurtful.

June 25th, 2012, 02:33 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdawn View Post
As a public school teacher, I'm highly offended at your comment that this incident makes a case for homeschooling or private school. Those kids were horrible, and it has nothing to do with where they go to school. You can't protect your children from bullies by homeschooling them or sending them to private school. You protect them from bullies with good parenting. You teach them to treat others with respect and you teach them what to do when they aren't being treated with respect. No matter how much you shelter them, at some point they are going to encounter hate and mistreatment. It is their own set of skills at that point that saves them. And then, you can hope that they will even be the ones who stand up to bullies for someone else.

I'm sure I'm reading way too much in to your comment. Surely you didn't intend it to be offensive. Just know that most teachers work their butts off to create a safe learning environment. So, to take that incident, and make a general statement about the public school system is hurtful.
Ditto this. Manners come from parenting. I was raised to respect adults and kids alike. I know that not all kids are though. I went to public schools my entire life and would have never spoken to anyone like that, or touch someone like that. Its sad that they were raised to think it was funny.
*Jillian* likes this.
June 25th, 2012, 06:13 PM
did not mean to offend in that way, I dont blame the school or teachers, and I know how hard a job it is it's what I went to school for. But despite whose "fault" it is that kids act like that be it parents or society or just basic immaturity the fact is the behavior flourishes at school especially (obviously) the schools where we live, and that is not the environment I want my kids to spend 30 hours a week in. Homeschools or private schools wont keep them safe from everything I get that. It's something Ive already chosen for my children and this incident has just solidified that for me, that's all. No offense to teachers

June 25th, 2012, 06:55 PM
imdawn's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarie9509 View Post
did not mean to offend in that way, I dont blame the school or teachers, and I know how hard a job it is it's what I went to school for. But despite whose "fault" it is that kids act like that be it parents or society or just basic immaturity the fact is the behavior flourishes at school especially (obviously) the schools where we live, and that is not the environment I want my kids to spend 30 hours a week in. Homeschools or private schools wont keep them safe from everything I get that. It's something Ive already chosen for my children and this incident has just solidified that for me, that's all. No offense to teachers
Fair enough...I respect every family's right to make decisions for their own family and definitely see how one could make that decision. Even as a teacher, I worry about what my kids will be exposed to at school. I just hope that parents and the American public in general see bullying as a problem we all must confront, rather than feel we can run from it.

June 25th, 2012, 07:07 PM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Dawn, you hit the nail on the head. I dont think we can shelter our kids just by keeping them out of a school. Kids are exposed to kids everywhere and can pick up bad habits faster than you think. You'll meet kids at the park, on playdates, at the library and unless you plan on keeping your kid in a bubble, homeschool isnt going to keep them from being exposed to the bad that is out there. It is our job as parents to instill good morals and teach them the way to behave at home and in public settings when we arent around.

Things have changed since we were kids, there is a stigma out there that disciplining our kids is damaging to them, where i think its the exact opposite. We are doing them and society such a disservice by sheltering them and making them think they can do no wrong.

I want my kids to know its ok to be independent but still be respectful. The teaching of this starts at home, end of story. I dont expect Mackenzies teachers to teach her right from wrong, i do expect them to report to me if they notice her doing anything she should not be doing or saying.
imdawn likes this.
June 25th, 2012, 07:32 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is so sad.

Bullying is ALL around. Not just kids and school, it happens on the internet, churches, camps, and as adults...work. It happens. My oldest was bullied last year at school. I immediately called the school and it was handled promptly. I'll be honest, I also told my child to stick up for himself. Why was my son bullied?? Because he as skinny. It doesn't matter, kids will find a way to be mean no matter what. My son was bullied in 1st grade as well. It happens. It breaks my heart, but it is what happens. Both times as a parent, I intervened. I have also taught my children to stick up for themselves.

Sadly, a kid that is bullied probably has an awful home life and instead of judging that child we should help, pray and hope for him/her.
imdawn likes this.
June 25th, 2012, 07:43 PM
its not about sheltering them from everything just reducing the amount of time they are exposed to violence but anyway I also agree that we should teach our kids to stand up for themselves with respect and definitely that we should be praying for a better life for the kids bullying.

June 26th, 2012, 10:47 AM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Homeschooled children actually aren't sheltered at all. There are studies that prove that they are just as socialized as students that attend public schools.

As an adult I was bullied at my place of employment years ago. It never stops.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search