Daycare must be the miracle cure

Forum: May 2012 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 3 Post By melissalaw

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2012, 05:53 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
to getting Jacob to sleep longer at night. Jacob has only slept for 5 hours straight twice until Monday night which was his first day of daycare. Monday he slept for 5 hours and then Tuesday night he slept for 5 hours 45 minutes. I really hope this keeps up. I am finally starting to feel good again and not so exhausted. Normally Jacob would not sleep more than 3 hours straight and most of the time it was only 2 hours. So I was getting up every 2 hours at night to feed him. I guess he is just getting worn out at daycare so he is sleeping better at night.
Sunshine0918 likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
June 27th, 2012, 10:11 AM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hooray for sleeping!
June 27th, 2012, 10:20 AM
rmarie9509's Avatar Liam's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to rmarie9509 Send a message via Skype™ to rmarie9509
Im glad he's sleeping, and I don't want to burst the happy bubble, just be cautious. You are right that daycare is wearing him out and making him sleep longer but that means he's not sleeping longer because he wants to or is developmentally ready. If he is suddenly going from eating every 2 hours to eating only every 5 hours his weight may drop and he may be more likely to get dehydrated because he is losing at least one meal if not 2 a night and this will also drop your overall milk production durring the day further lessening the amount he eats. SO Im really glad you are getting more sleep just keep an eye on him and if he seems to be dropping at all or acting more lethargic you might need to start waking him up to eat again for a little while.

June 27th, 2012, 10:30 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I think it's great!! I wouldn't worry too much about his weight or your supply. You're pumping and I'm sure you can figure out how much more you need to pump.

My EBF baby sleeps 7-10 hours straight and my supply hasn't suffered. She's turning into a little chunk!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarie9509 View Post
Im glad he's sleeping, and I don't want to burst the happy bubble, just be cautious. You are right that daycare is wearing him out and making him sleep longer but that means he's not sleeping longer because he wants to or is developmentally ready. If he is suddenly going from eating every 2 hours to eating only every 5 hours his weight may drop and he may be more likely to get dehydrated because he is losing at least one meal if not 2 a night and this will also drop your overall milk production durring the day further lessening the amount he eats. SO Im really glad you are getting more sleep just keep an eye on him and if he seems to be dropping at all or acting more lethargic you might need to start waking him up to eat again for a little while.
2 hours longer isn't going to hurt his weight.

June 27th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That's great! Yay for sleep!

My supply never suffered nor did any of my kids lose weight/stop gaining when they started sleeping more. And both Lily and Vi started sleeping longer stretches all of a sudden (one night 2 hour stretch, next night and from then on 5 hour, etc).

June 27th, 2012, 10:53 AM
dream2bemommy22's Avatar and baby makes 5
Honestly Becky i think your comment is a little off base here. You have only breastfed for 5 weeks, i would hardly consider you an expert like you are coming across.

My EBF has slept more than 5 hour stretches overnight since she was born, my supply is not affected, she is not dehydrated and she is gaining weight very well. I think as long as Melissa is keeping the rest of her routines the same as far as nursing and pumping, she will be just fine.

I pumped when i went back to work with DS, and did it for 6 months and never had issues with getting enough to feed him. When i would get home from work after having a few pumping session, i nursed him and always had milk for him.

I think if your supply is going to suffer, it has nothing to do with how much your baby sleeps or doesnt sleep. Nursing and pumping signal your body to make more, so if he goes through a phase of not eating a lot it will decrease, but will increase if he suddenly starts nursing more ( like a growth spurt).
June 27th, 2012, 10:56 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks guys. He is only giving us one 5 hour stretch of sleep then he is getting back up 2 hours later to eat again so I think he is only missing one meal. I am one of those lucky people that has an oversupply of milk so it might be okay if my supply dropped just a bit. i did wake up this morning with hard boobs. I fed Jacob then pumped to get some more milk for daycare.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
June 27th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Raven_Haired_Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yay for more sleep!

I know for Archer sleeping up to ten hours straight at night has not affected his weight at all. He more than makes up for that time when he's awake. I feel like they sleep the amount of time their body needs.

Thanks PrincessMom08 for my wonderful siggy!
June 27th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yaay! I know Cole has started sleeping longer at night too and he eats more right before bed than he used to. Hooray for well-rested mommies and happy babies.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
June 27th, 2012, 04:51 PM
mrs_zipre's Avatar Loving my life!
Tucker has been sleeping 6-7 hours at night, and I feel it has increased my milk supply because I am rested. Go with whatever works best for you and your baby.

June 27th, 2012, 07:20 PM
.:fearless:.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YAY for sleep!!! I don't know a Dr or NP yet who will say wake a sleeping baby at night to feed them. Especially at this age Your doing great mama, keep it up!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search